New makita brushless hammer drill

NicholasShetley

Also....Makita....where the heck have you been? Try improving your line. Put more money in tools and the important stuff. Racing is cute....you Makita Seniorita's are smokin' but c'mon! This hammer drill may be a super winner but fashionably late might work in Hollywood, but I don't own a tux.

• Like 1

Funny thing is this new tool blows away anything out there and yet still more negative posts. If it was red would it be groundbreaking? Ford vs Chevy.

I don't see the talk about "where have you been". Makita has been an innovator in the industry. It seems most believe everything they read. Makita has been first and front running in many of the coolest new tools I've read about. Seems like some companies just get more press. Makita was the first with 18v lithium, hasn't changed the battery platform with lithium, first with brushless, largest lithium line, X2 tools, and that's just cordless. Ford vs Chevy.

• Like 1

Funny thing is this new tool blows away anything out there and yet still more negative posts. If it was red would it be groundbreaking? Ford vs Chevy.

I don't see the talk about "where have you been". Makita has been an innovator in the industry. It seems most believe everything they read. Makita has been first and front running in many of the coolest new tools I've read about. Seems like some companies just get more press. Makita was the first with 18v lithium, hasn't changed the battery platform with lithium, first with brushless, largest lithium line, X2 tools, and that's just cordless. Ford vs Chevy.

The lack of updates to the batteries is their biggest downfall in my opinion.  I'm not saying to change the platform, but dang, give me a fuel gauge, a 4ah, and for god sakes, make it all compatible. 

you do make some good points. but you can't blame USERS for having a bitter taste in the mouth after significant battery issues. That would be very frustrating. And its all a bit too fresh to be annoying users now with battery compatability issues.

But yes, they have a huge line and some great tools. Its unfortunate that their compact drills (the most useful tool in the world) have copped such a hard time. My mate has 2 different recent compacts from Makita and is quite dissapointed. But I would be happy to own Makita.

also, this drill needs to be market tested before it 'blows away' the competition. I don't however buy any crap about the masonry performance being the main point in a hammer drill.

I agree with you to a point. It is a Ford/Dodge/Chevy debate, but I don't think anyone here has a deliberate bias toward Makita. For years I would have called Makita the the highest quality of the "big 4". They have always been the trend setter in battery technology and maintained a massive lineup, but there's no denying that they let the brand slip a little over time.

They failed to adapt to market trends. They patented a battery fuel guage like 3 years ago, but we've never seen it. In the CopTool drill fight (the most comprehensive I've seen) the Makita offering was shameful and the writer admitted he was giving it more credit than it deserved even ranking it last. He attempted to mitigate it's lousy showing, but what was done was done. They released a more powerful 750 in/lb LXPH03 model shortly thereafter, but as a brushed version when brushless was what everyone was wanting to see. This makes even less sense considering Makita was the first to put out brushless.

Now we have a 1,090 in/lb, brushless monster, powered by suspect batteries with no fuel guage. Fair enough. A fuel guage is a convienance feature, and perhaps Makita has corrected the issue with the LXT packs. I certainly hope so. I like Makita and want to see the succeed, but I'm not ready to jump on the band wagon until I know for sure.

The XPH07M may well be the biggest, baddest, wrist snappingest, drill in the history of cordless drills, or it may be a Ferrari with a Metro engine under the hood, I suppose we'll see.

In either event, I believe it is imperative that Makita makes a better effort to generate buzz. They are almost non-existant on the blogs, social media, and everywhere else where their core user base gets their info.

If you find my end of year prediction thread from the past 2 years, I predicted in each one that Makita was making a comeback. I'd rather not be wrong again.

• Like 1

I disagree. First off, you don't mention Festool. For shame!!!!!!! I mean really....that cuts so deep dude! Also, the best circular saw I have ever had and still have is my Makita Hypoid Magnesium. Although now that I think of it...My TS55REQ IS THE BEST!!!!!! The Makita saw would cut down to China. But....they may have been the first....then what??????? Just stopped. A new tool here and there. No battery improvements and, when I had ALL Makita, I started seeing better battery life from my brothers Milwaukee's. Plus metal ratcheting chucks that didn't slip. My friends use Dewalt's with no issues in the battery department (I mean aside from them being Dewalt's.....yes Ram vs. Chevy.....although c'mon seriously....Ram!) The fuel gauges are essential. Especially for me as a DIY guy. My tools can sit for a couple of weeks and I would like to know when I got to the farm or even up a ladder that my batteries are up and running. I liked my BTD141 but the batteries sucked. I bought my BHP452 based on and old TiA review back when Makita was innovative. But times changed, tools started to evolve and ...I sold my gear, switched to Milwaukee and now have kept a lot of Milwaukee but am with Festool. I base my comments on my experience. Milwaukee has stepped up to....(and on occasions steps too far....seriously????scissors????) the plate and really pushed the boundaries. Sounds like Makita might finally be getting their heads out of the sand, but I'm not switching lines for a while. Good tools, great looking girls, cool race stuff but....too late.

I agree with you to a point. It is a Ford/Dodge/Chevy debate, but I don't think anyone here has a deliberate bias toward Makita. For years I would have called Makita the the highest quality of the "big 4". They have always been the trend setter in battery technology and maintained a massive lineup, but there's no denying that they let the brand slip a little over time.

They failed to adapt to market trends. They patented a battery fuel guage like 3 years ago, but we've never seen it. In the CopTool drill fight (the most comprehensive I've seen) the Makita offering was shameful and the writer admitted he was giving it more credit than it deserved even ranking it last. He attempted to mitigate it's lousy showing, but what was done was done. They released a more powerful 750 in/lb LXPH03 model shortly thereafter, but as a brushed version when brushless was what everyone was wanting to see. This makes even less sense considering Makita was the first to put out brushless.

Now we have a 1,090 in/lb, brushless monster, powered by suspect batteries with no fuel guage. Fair enough. A fuel guage is a convienance feature, and perhaps Makita has corrected the issue with the LXT packs. I certainly hope so. I like Makita and want to see the succeed, but I'm not ready to jump on the band wagon until I know for sure.

The XPH07M may well be the biggest, baddest, wrist snappingest, drill in the history of cordless drills, or it may be a Ferrari with a Metro engine under the hood, I suppose we'll see.

In either event, I believe it is imperative that Makita makes a better effort to generate buzz. They are almost non-existant on the blogs, social media, and everywhere else where their core user base gets their info.

If you find my end of year prediction thread from the past 2 years, I predicted in each one that Makita was making a comeback. I'd rather not be wrong again.

It has a battery gauge from the picture in the first post. I thought you guys were the bloggers or writers. You can choose to create buzz on what items you pick right? Do certain manufacturers send you guys demos and new product info to get buzz going or how does it work.

• Like 1

I am with Krane here, Makita has been an innovator for a long time and the battery thing gets a worse rep than it maybe deserves.  I had some of the first M18 batteries at a feedlot we own and those batteries died left and right compared to the one here or there in my rather large Makita lineup.  Soo maybe you are not a landscaper so the new line of landscaping tools isn't for you.  They had the first brushless impact way before anyone else and it has a fuel gauge on the tool which is what the whole M12 line uses and it doesn't get this bad of run down.  Also of the big three, I will always pick up the Makita impact to drive screws of any kind in wood, its only when we have to drive large self tapping screws into metal that I have to reach for my m18 fuel impacts (but the newest Makita impact should change that also).  I also want to point out that Makita has been innovating in more directions with their cordless lineup than their competitors combined (ok maybe close, but you get the point).  I have the cordless nibbler for sheet steel (they also have the shear), the concrete vibrator, the first brushless sds hammer drill, the first drywall screw gun, and I believe the first of the big three to come out with a 3/8" drive ratchet.  All of these I would have to buy new and different battery platforms to get each one.  Then you can come to the x2 lineup which is being expanded everytime I turn around, more innovation that doesn't get the credit it deserves.  I continue to buy new Fuel tools and love them but I still can not get away from Makita as they have soo many specialty tools that we use daily and they are always great tools at that.

One last rant, I had bought into the 3.0/40 and 1.5/2.0 battery sales pitch for both dewalt for the short time I had 20v tools and with my Milwaukee lineup and in the end its more of a sales ploy than anything.  My impacts run for hours 3-4 sometimes and honestly taking a break to switch batteries (because I grabbed an extra one to bring with anyways) is not that time consuming.  If only Makita would release their stuff in the US faster it may have been able to keep up better (their 5.0 battery is out in Japan currently and I almost bought one the other day) but I digress.  Either way Makita still has a faithful following and they may market in different ways than the others but they will continue to stay an innovator and I will continue to buy their tools for it.

It has a battery gauge from the picture in the first post. I thought you guys were the bloggers or writers. You can choose to create buzz on what items you pick right? Do certain manufacturers send you guys demos and new product info to get buzz going or how does it work.

To create buzz about a new product manufacturers will send out the tools to the blogs and typically include a press kit highlighting new features, etc.

Makita used to do this more than they do now, but they pretty much quit using blogs after a few poor performances in which Makita lost head to head battles or had drills nearly catch on fire. We had one burn up and I know of at least 2 instances where blogs told Makita they didn't have anything nice to say, so they weren't going to say anything at all.

Some blogs are "pay to play" meaning that all reviews are paid for by the manufacturer and they say exactly what the manufacturer wants them to say. This is why Tool Box Buzz named a recalled sub-scanner that Dewalt had apologized for even releasing and admitted it didn't work for shit, as a tool of the year. TIA is not a "pay to play" site and all reviews are based on performance and opinion. In other words, we reserve the right to tell you any negatives about the tool.

This opinion that Makita has slipped is not any bias or something imagined. If Makita wants to create buzz about their stuff they can do it, but in the past couple of years they have been more concerned with protecting themselves from any negative press. That's not my opinion, it's a fact and Makita has pretty much said so themselves.

Again, I really hope this drill is a turning point for Makita. I want to see them back on top of their game, but we can't pretend they haven't had some issues.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Krane,

As you have no doubt noticed, we re-reviewed the drill, coming to the conclusion that our first one was faulty (drill or battery). Punda's comment would have been in reply to our first (less positive review).

We think it's an absolute ball-tearer.

• 2 weeks later...