New makita brushless hammer drill

NicholasShetley

I'm surprised its shipping with 4.0ah Batteries. I know Makita has 5.0 packs in a bunch of other markets now. I will say that drill does sound like a beast though. I doubt Milwaukee Will have a response this year but hopefully next year we see some new M18 fuel drills and impact drivers.

• Like 1

Always remember....we might not have a bunch of hot chicks swinging there chests around at tool shows but Milwaukee has the power. Hopefully they will blow them outta the water quick. Interesting though...I've nearly broke my wrist with my old Dewalt hammer drill....you know, before I went red....and that thing had half the hp that this new Makita has. Makes you kind of nervous...,,

I really wish Dewalt didn't use the UWO rating. I know they have an FAQ where they state why it is better than measuring it in inch pounds or foot pounds. The problem is either they own the rights to UWO or they cant get the other companies to agree to the standard. For pickup trucks their is a standard that goes into how they calculate horsepower and towing ratings it is a written standard every manufacturer follows. The power tool industry needs to have a standard like that.

I really wish Dewalt didn't use the UWO rating. I know they have an FAQ where they state why it is better than measuring it in inch pounds or foot pounds. The problem is either they own the rights to UWO or they cant get the other companies to agree to the standard. For pickup trucks their is a standard that goes into how they calculate horsepower and towing ratings it is a written standard every manufacturer follows. The power tool industry needs to have a standard like that.

I couldn't agree more, from what I've read there's really no mathematical way to compare the two units of measure.  I dont really know if Dewalt is wrong or right in doing this, but for now, it sucks.

It's funny because Makita's year old brushed drill at 750inlbs., already has more power than Milwaukee's brushless, at 725 inlbs. So pulling their heads out of the sand doesn't fit in my opinion.

I agree, they haven't had their head in the sand, they've had it up their ass so far they could smell their breath.

Despite their 750 in/lb brushed drill that you never hear shit about, they have fallen behind. Part of it is their lack of a 12V line, part of it is problems with their current batteries, but the biggest part of it IMO is simply marketing ineptitude and slow adoption of trending features.

When people are considering a tool purchase the first thing they do is take to the internet to check out reviews and product comparisons. Makita has hardly made an attempt. I'd love to see their market share figures compared to 5 or 10 years ago.

The power tool companies are in a "cola war" type scenario right now and Makita has taken the RC approach. It's not to say their tools are low quality, but for the most part, they've watched the battle from afar.

As for Dewalt, the UWO bullshit is a load of crap. I truly believe that Dewalt is right about it being a more accurate system of measure, but in reality it was Dewalt's way of bowing out of the torque race. I'm not saying it was a bad decision, but it was a passive move. They took away the consumer's ability to put Dewalt next to the competition and base their purchase decision on power. It's like if you applied for a job, and when you asked how much it paid they said "75% of the median income in Aukland, New Zealand on September 22, 1971 times 2, divided by 1.375, plus 42% of inflation allowance as determined by the Chinese government and weighted against the current market strength of the Rupee".

It was 4th and 2, late in the game, the score was tied, and Dewalt opted to punt.

That's how Conductor sees it anyway.

• Like 4

That is a major concern with Makita if you just type in Makita battery problem into Google you will see a bunch of search results.

I wouldn't mind looking at the newer Makita tools with a 4.0 or 5.0 ah battery pack as they are currently using the oldest battery cell tech in their 1.5 and 3.0 ah packs.

Makita's brushed drill might have had more power but it wouldn't have had near the same amount of run time as the Milwaukee fuel. Makita now has some tools that are more into the higher power range exceed current brushless tools. Makita's first brushless models were more based on size and run time over power.

I might be a Dewalt fan if they had had more 20v tools back when I was looking at a battery platform to buy into. The first year was pretty sparse with adding new tools now its a different story they have almost every tool some one would need in a cordless tool. It was the same reason I ditched Ridgid too the lack of bare tools to expand your selection of tools with is a big deal to me.

Makita have some really nice tools (Impact Driver, Planer etc) and some really cool tools (2x18V tools, ROS). They also have a huge range.

But they're issues with the batteries (reliability and now compatibility) and very poor offering in compact drills is a real blow.

Ok maybe I’m looking at this all wrong, but it is a hammer drill you really don’t need all of that torque. You what something to chip and brake away the material so you want is BPH . I have the Milwaukee Fuel hammer drill and it lies in my toolbox it has never had a bit in it I'v never have used it. If I’m drilling concrete, stone or whatever I use a SD rotary Drill and for wood of metal I use my Fuel drill. I guess if you really want to hurt yourself, all that torque is a good thing. Now that I think about it anyone, want a deal on a Milwaukee Fuel hammer drill?

• Like 2

I think you're right on the money Regopit. At 1,000+ in/lb we've reached the limit of usable torque.

I recently acquired the fuel hammer drill and even 725 or whatever it's a wrist breaker if it gets away from you in certain situations. If it binds up in metal or something you'd better let go.

I use the hammer drill for everything. I haven't owned a standard drill/driver in years.

I always buy the hammer drill version of the drill. For the slight extra in cost it seems like why not have that function you might need it. Like Regiopit mentioned though if your doing any real masonry work you have to go sds now its so much better than the old cam hammer drill plus the prices have dropped so much on SDS drills too.

I'm still okay with my line up right now. I can't see buying into an antiquated line up that has not shown much promise in advanced or innovation. Like I said earlier, I nearly snapped my wrist with the old Dewalt hammer. Now I was wrong in its application but I thought at the time...."cordless is better my lily white New England As$" that darn drill had more power than I do. So, Makita has a powerhouse....sure...but Regopit is absolutely right, in the end it's beats per minute not inch pounds. That old Dewalt was not high in inch pounds either and still had some serious enough torque with bpm to what I asked of it. Now for all you Dewalt guys....this isn't an affirmation from Chris that "OMG Chris is finally going yellow".....My God in Heaven....NEVER!!!!!!!!!!!!