Makita x2 cordless circ saw VS Fuel 7 1/4" circ

opcruzer

I have not seen anyone compare these two head to head and given any remarks as to which one feels more powerful.  I have both battery platforms and could get either one and when we are cutting wet or frozen green treat 2x material my current fuel 6 1/2" saw or my older Makita saws just don't cut it. (pun intended) 

I am also looking for specs to compare the horsepower or "felt power" of the new 7 1/4" fuel circ to the current 6 1/2" fuel circ saw to see if its really that much better.  I have seen the claims that the fuel saw will cut a lot longer on a charge because of the brushless motor and that really doesn't matter much in this case as we don't make enough cuts in one day for that to really matter and we have plenty of batteries for it to matter.

We also cut up old concrete form lumber and eventually ruin blades because of it and I try to do that with old saws and old blades but anymore blades are pretty cheap its more about getting the work done.  We have noticed that changing out old blades helps a lot even on the old Makita circ saws that are known to be underpowered.

I have seen some of Javier's videos and must have missed that one.  The Milwaukee event that Eric and Dan covered has some literature saying that their fuel saw cut way more than the X2 saw which is obviously not the case.  I have been very impressed with all of my other fuel tools but I don't think they can compare with the 2 batteries on the Makita.

• Like 1

I did full reviews with extensive run time testing on both of them....

M18 Fuel :

233 cuts - 2x4s

71 cuts - 7/16 OSB

36V LXT :

443 cuts - 2x4s

129 cuts - 7/16 OSB

I am planning a comparison video, but dont have the extra footage down as of yet.....check out the 2 videos I did on them & I am sure you can make your mind up.

I have read through many comparisons on both and from memory can remember that the makita consistently cuts quicker in the same test as the Milwaukee. quicker by a decent margin also..

if it's cutting the same board quicker then it must have more power (it's not bogging down as much as the Milwaukee must be)

I own the makita, the thing is a power house.. you can hear and feel the difference the first time you squeeze the trigger (only other cordless saw I have to compare it to is the older 6.5" makita).. the other day I was able to rip 120lf of 2x8 with one set of batteries, the saw never stalled or over heated once. I wasn't babying it eathier, I was cutting as fast as I wanted to be and it just kept right up. I was pretty impressed at that point!!

I have seen some of Javier's videos and must have missed that one.  The Milwaukee event that Eric and Dan covered has some literature saying that their fuel saw cut way more than the X2 saw which is obviously not the case.  I have been very impressed with all of my other fuel tools but I don't think they can compare with the 2 batteries on the Makita.

Well all brands always find a way to make their tool the best in their own testing :D  I wouldn't trust tests made my makita / milwaukee / dewalt /bosch about their own tools :D

• Like 2

I am also looking at the new Fuel rotary hammer compared to the Makita x2, the specs are very close and I have yet to find a review or tool battle between.  I also checked Javier's site to make sure he didn't slide one in there as well.

I have the Makita brushless 18v rotary hammer and it does alright but the new ones do a lot more.

When the reviewers say that the milwaukee beats the makita, I believe that may be referring to a comparison of how each tool performs with 2 batteries. If you look at those numbers, the Milwaukee handily beats the Makita for number of cuts and ft. of OSB cut. The Makita is still probably more powerful, but the longevity does go to Milwaukee.

In retrospect, you'll obviously go with what platform you are already with. Per battery the milwaukee out performs the makita. I have used both extensively on jobs it's and enjoy the milwaukee much more. When using the milwaukee I carry the saw with a battery and a battery in a charger. When using the makita I have two in the saw, and two chargers and batteries. It's much more convenient to use the milwaukee. Neither will clearly get the run time of a corderd skilsaw clearly. the milwaukee is much less drama when using it on the job

In retrospect, you'll obviously go with what platform you are already with. Per battery the milwaukee out performs the makita. I have used both extensively on jobs it's and enjoy the milwaukee much more. When using the milwaukee I carry the saw with a battery and a battery in a charger. When using the makita I have two in the saw, and two chargers and batteries. It's much more convenient to use the milwaukee. Neither will clearly get the run time of a corderd skilsaw clearly. the milwaukee is much less drama when using it on the job

This pretty much sums it up for me. IMO, Makita was pretty much late to the party. Sure, it's nice to make 443 cuts on a charge, but not when it requires 2 batteries to do it. You've got 2 batteries and chargers tied up in one tool, with added weight, and who the hell is actually making that many cuts in less time than it takes to charge a battery? I guess if you get paid to cut 2X4's up into little pieces you're going Makita, but for the rest of the world the single battery performance of the Fuel will be sufficient. 

I dunno, maybe I'm being too critical, but a 2 battery saw just doesn't appeal to me when there are singles with just as much power

• Like 1

Well personal opinions aside...  The reviews do show a clear advantage in power/cutting speed and runtime for the Makita.. IF and only If you are okay with having 2 charged batteries on there.  The weight difference is so small that having a decent tool balance solves it. Even with batteries installed the Makita X2 is lighter then some corded saws of that capacity.

It's up to what you want to do with it.

Convenience:  Milwaukee Fuel

Power speed and runtime:  Makita X2

• Like 1

iv been thinking about this some more

if you have either of these saws you will probably have several other tools and batteries from their line up.

on most jobs that you would be doing . you could be cutting  and driving  screws. with that logic (as presumptions' and flawed as it is) you would need 6 batteries  for the Makita and 4 for the Milwaukee . 2 in the saw , 2 charging, 1 in the impact  and 1 charging