Multi tool

builditguy

Just picked up another 20v multi tool from CPO.  Reconditioned, $99.00, bare tool.  Website said they had 4, the other day.  Should only have 3 now.  (reconditioned ones that is)

It arrived yesterday.  Looks perfect, runs perfect.  I gave it to my son, for his truck.  Then I needed to use one, so I went out and got his.  Poor kid wasn't able to be the first to use the new tool.

We've had a few different multi-tools.  The DeWalt works so good.   

Here's a link.  Looks like only one left.  

http://www.cpooutlets.com/factory-reconditioned-dewalt-dcs355br-20v-max-xr-cordless-lithium-ion-brushless-oscillating-multi-tool--bare-tool-/dewrdcs355br,default,pd.html?start=22&q=dewalt%20reconditioned%2020v

Edited by builditguy
added a link
  • Like 1

Looks like you have to use an allen screw on the Bosch.  While I do like Bosch products, the blade change on DeWalt is great.  

I will admit, at first I noticed the paddle and wondered if it would be an issue.  It's not.  At all.  It's so good, I wouldn't have it any other way.

I'm sure you won't go wrong with Bosch either.

Dewalt makes an adapter for multi-tools that don't have quick-release, I have one on my Ryobi. It's a lot better than having to use an Allen wrench every time you want to change blades. But, it limits the types of blades you use to quick-release type. Some companies make blades that don't have the cutout, and if you want to use those you have to take the quick-release adapter off. Which is not really that big of an issue, but still is an issue if you use non-quick-release type blades. The Ryobi came with a sanding attachment and I like to use it, but it means grabbing the Allen wrench, taking the adapter off, replacing it with the Ryobi bolt, grabbing the other Allen wrench, blah blah blah...

Really?  I assume you mean the paddle to change blades?

That is one part I really like.  Of course my other one has a allen screw so it's really not comparable.  I'll check out the Bosch.

No not the blade change, the paddle style trigger, for many applications with OMT you don't want max speed, you can trigger lock the Dewalt but that's only for one speed where most other manufactures has an on off switch with variable speed wheel.

8 minutes ago, builditguy said:

Oh, ok, I get it.

Your right, only one speed. Truthfully, I never even noticed.

It works so good, it's not an issue. At least with what I do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yea part of it is just preference too, on a grinder i want a paddle switch but not so much on an OMT, too bad dewalt didn't offer different trigger set ups otherwise I would been done have that tool lol.

1 hour ago, JimboS1ice said:

Yea part of it is just preference too, on a grinder i want a paddle switch but not so much on an OMT, too bad dewalt didn't offer different trigger set ups otherwise I would been done have that tool lol.

Some personal preference, some how you use it.  I use a grinder at strange angles as much as an OMT so I prefer a slide switch on both.

Maybe I'm oblivious to my surroundings, but I just realized my multi tool is variable speed. It has a trigger. Not a paddle.

I've had it about 6 months and I use it about once a week. I probably should have noticed it sooner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 5/14/2016 at 9:50 PM, builditguy said:

Looks like you have to use an allen screw on the Bosch.

Nope, the brushless 18V Bosch multi-tool has a very easy tool-less blade change. It's a ripper. The Makita is apparently even a tad better.

I have one of these myself. The blades are a bit pricey though. Does anyone know if there are other brands of blades that you can use on these? I saw some a HF but I wasn't sure if they would work. Sorry, if this has been asked before. I mainly use mine cut openings in drywall.

I have one of these myself. The blades are a bit pricey though. Does anyone know if there are other brands of blades that you can use on these? I saw some a HF but I wasn't sure if they would work. Sorry, if this has been asked before. I mainly use mine cut openings in drywall.

Rockwell makes a decent blade at a fair price. I try to find them on sale in a multi pack that's usually the cheapest way. As far as the hf i have not Tryed them they look a little cheap but if all your doing is going thru Sheetrock they may be ok it's just a gamble but not to expensive if you can get on sale with a coupon.

From a fan of tools with lots of assistance from Siri #TIACREW

in Canada we have a Canadian Tire store chain, they sell Mastercraft brand tools and I'm not sure who makes these for them but I buy the big sets when they are on sale for $29.99 from $69.99. I have used all kinds of other brands and these seem to be the best lasting. I have a bunch at all times.

nice thing is they go on sale 3 -4 times a year....

blades.PNG