Battery powered fan

lordbaal

Does anyone knows any good Battery powered fan. I want to have it in case the power goes out.

Years ago, I bought one from O2Cool. It was not good. Probably only 500 RPM's on high.

I was looking at the one from Ryobi. But they have all these different types of batteries that you can use on it. But I can't find anything about how long the different types of batteries last for, on low, and on high. 

They have a 4 pack for $100 and a 2 pack of the high capacity for $100. 

Say the high capacity can get 7 hours on high. But the lower one get 5 hours on high. Then I'd rather get the lower one. I would be getting 20 hours on high at 4 for $100. Compared to the high capacity at 14 hours at 2 for $100.

Then I seen the Milwaukee one. $80 for the fan, $100 for a battery. $100 for a charger. That's like $300(after taxes).

The Ryobi is $30. $100 for 2 or 4 batteries. Charger $50. $200(after taxes).

These are Home depot prices. I know Amazon will be cheaper.

I have a couple Porter Cable batteries. I don't know if they make one. I couldn't find anything.

But are they any other battery operated fans out there?

I haven't heard of PC announcing a 20v fan so if your going to invest in a new battery lineup I'd really do some research. It would be a real waste of cash to buy into a line or something you have no interest in following through with. Another option is buy a kit with the batteries and charger included and buy the bare tool fan. I don't have a cordless fan but Ryobi has a really decent fan as does Milwaukee. If your looking into a particular line though, that's where I'd spend my money for the fan.

• Like 1

I'm really looking at it as emergency backup in case my home power goes out. As I'm typing this, in north west NJ, it feels like 100 degrees outside. So it's not really an investment. It's more of a just in case.

I don't use tools professionally, I just use them around my house. 

So not a job. It's really for my house. 

The only ones I know of is Ryobi, Milwaukee and Makita, that makes battery fans. 

I am not brand loyal. It's better to have it and not need it. Then to need it and not have it.

Home Depot Q&A sucks. People asking how long will it run. You have people answering that they never ran it all down from a full battery, to a dead one. So they then are just estimating.

I have been watching #TIA for a couple months. I seen them do a couple fans, but I don't remember them saying how long they will run.

With these fans, will they run better and longer as opposed to using ones that have c and d batteries.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, lordbaal said:

I'm really looking at it as emergency backup in case my home power goes out. As I'm typing this, in north west NJ, it feels like 100 degrees outside. So it's not really an investment. It's more of a just in case.

I don't use tools professionally, I just use them around my house. 

So not a job. It's really for my house. 

The only ones I know of is Ryobi, Milwaukee and Makita, that makes battery fans. 

I am not brand loyal. It's better to have it and not need it. Then to need it and not have it.

Home Depot Q&A sucks. People asking how long will it run. You have people answering that they never ran it all down from a full battery, to a dead one. So they then are just estimating.

I have been watching #TIA for a couple months. I seen them do a couple fans, but I don't remember them saying how long they will run.

With these fans, will they run better and longer as opposed to using ones that have c and d batteries.

No doubt but you have to use those batteries on occasion or they do go bad. Truthfully I'd just go with the Ryobi. Why spend a ton of cash on something that'll be used infrequently and with no real expansion of tool line

I have the old blue Ryobi Fan. I never timed it but I get overnight run time from a full battery to empty on a 4ah battery pack. It's hard to say run time with Ryobi is they have so many battery packs the old nicads to the Generations of just in lion packs Ryobi has had 1.3, 1.5, 2.6, 3.0, 3.3, and 4.0ah packs.

Makita is out. I was reading they get 3 hours on low.
Milwaukee gets 17 on low.
Ryobi, I'm reading anywhere between 10 and 15 on low. 267 CFM on high.
Ridgid GEN5X, around 45 hours on low. And 475 CFM. 1 Ridgid battery would last longer then 2 Ryobi batteries.
Both the Ridgid and Ryobi come to about the same price.
But the Ridgid lifetime warranty is a better deal the Ryboi 3 years. I'm leaning towards that ridgid.

This Ridgid fan has good reviews on Home Depot.

Luckly I have a Home Depot an Lowes withing 10 minutes from my house.

Why aren't batteries interchangeable across manufacture? They're all lithium ion. I know you can't use a 20v on an 18v tool.

First, Welcome to the forum! I have recently purchased the Milwaukee fan for the same reason and since it's also comes with an AC adapter for the shop! I've been testing it the last few days and I can tell you that it's a good fan, and Milwaukee's stats are right on. 17+ hours on low with a 5.0 ah fully charged battery. After that, time drops quick. 7+ hours on medium and 4+ hours on high. Having this battery line and a multi quick charger for me batteries are not an issue. If power is out! Then it's an issue on charging. I am tempted to see if I can push the fan to failure, to just see it's endurance. Ryobi would be a good choice for someone to get that has no existing battery line. They are the least expensive to get into. And are made by the same master company as Milwaukee TTI. Good luck in your search.

John, Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk[emoji848]

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ChrisK said:

No doubt but you have to use those batteries on occasion or they do go bad. Truthfully I'd just go with the Ryobi. Why spend a ton of cash on something that'll be used infrequently and with no real expansion of tool line

It may be used infrequently. But this is NJ. During the summer, PSE&G is not reliable 100% of time.

But I'm thinking of if it goes out for more then a couple hours. I want to have enough battery power.

4 minutes ago, Glasseyi said:

First, Welcome to the forum! I have recently purchased the Milwaukee fan for the same reason and since it's also comes with an AC adapter for the shop! I've been testing it the last few days and I can tell you that it's a good fan, and Milwaukee's stats are right on. 17+ hours on low wu

John, Sent from my iPad using Tapatalkemoji848.png

I'm leaning toward the Ridgid GEN5X. The battery lasts twice as long as this. And it's about the same price. 

Ryobi may be the cheapest one. But from what I read about it, it only get 10-15 hours on battery. Ridgid is 3 times.

Yes Ridgid would be another excellent choice, not sure if their chargers are fast charging. Not that would be on your radar. But you can find deals on their batteries at Home Depot, they have frequent sales.

John, Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk[emoji848]

5 minutes ago, Bremon said:

I use the Milwaukee fan daily. Not sure what run time is on high. I used it for 3.5 hours today on medium, had 2 of 4 battery lights left on the indicator. It's a quality unit, wall wart aside. 

From what I seen, their batteries are expensive.

Now I can see other uses for it. When I outside doing yard works. Or when I do go to work at the Home Depot. Because some stores won't let us work inside.

You would think Home Depot would give their vendors a discount.

21 minutes ago, sparky603 said:

The M18 fan is friggin' awesome. I used mine all day today, and have been using it like crazy this summer. Makes attic work on even the hottest days here bearable. Rarely ever go above medium setting on it, as it moves a lot of air for its size.

Not what I wanted to hear, now i need to go buy one LOL!!

not battery powered, but this is what we have set up sometimes:

• Like 1

9 hours ago, D W said:

Metabo has an all metal fan. Here's the TIA review:

That's $150 for the fan alone. 7 hours run time on their LiHD batteries. Which is like $150. Then the charger itself is like $75. 

So that's like $400 after taxes.

I have been on workers comp for the last 3 months, don't know how much longer. So prices is also a concern.

Who else that makes battery operated fan? Then the ones I mentioned.

I go to Amazon and search for battery operated fans, I get a bunch of crap from O2cool.

1 hour ago, ChrisK said:

If money is the issue, Ryobi would probably be the answer. You can get more batteries on eBay for a portion of the cost of a new battery but that should fit your needs.

I wouldn't trust ebay for batteries. I wouldn't know if they are counterfeit of not.

46 minutes ago, lordbaal said:

I wouldn't trust ebay for batteries. I wouldn't know if they are counterfeit of not.

Sounds like your between a rock and a hard place dude. I have bought batteries on eBay several times but buy them through reputable dealers but it is a viable option if money is a concern. If it's not, and your not tied to a battery line I would just say screw it, go 5.0 and get the Milwaukee with the option of the power cord which is shared by the much less expensive Ryobi fan. You get your startup kit and fan at HD and buy back ups on eBay. As far as work site fans go I've given you my two cents but I can only tell you what I've heard, I don't use one in my shop. I would say that the guys here have given some great insight for you though!

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Ryobi-ONE-18-Volt-Hybrid-Portable-Fan-Tool-Only-P3320/205022215

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Ryobi-ONE-18-Volt-Lithium-Ion-Battery-and-IntelliPort-Charger-Upgrade-Kit-P128/203466924

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Ryobi-18-Volt-Compact-Lithium-Plus-and-Charger-Kit-2-Pack-P109-117/204100851

Regardless. It's a battery option and run time will always be a problem but purchasing some high cap second hand batteries on eBay will save you some serious coin and you can sit in fanned delight while you ponder which beer you should drink while listening to the deafening sound of silence and the light hum of battery powered cooling while you wait for your hard working linemen to get you power restored :)

• Like 1

Ryobi is the most economical option you can get batteries dirt cheap. HD runs $99 4.0ah 2pack deals all the time it even goes cheaper if they get clearanced out. I think in your situation your better off served by Ryobi over the other brands considering you don't really need a pro grade tool. It's not to say that Ryobi can't handle the jobsite either.

I have the ridgid.  It is awesome.  I use it after a shower while getting ready in the morning when it is too humid to cool off.  I also used in in the attic when I was installing a security system.  And I have used it in the garage when woodworking.  It is quiet and effective.  You can get ridgid batteries for a good price and they occasionally go on clearance for a better price.