Has AvE's Patreon improved?

DR99

I quit a few months ago after the tool reviews dried up for the most part, and I feel like he has this persona going on that everything is awful now to have an audience now. I still think the videos are entertaining, but I felt I wasn't getting much out of the patreon.

Wow lots of guys on Garage Journal love that AvE and Real Tool Reviews. I wonder if they would love him so much after Danial is after cash like every other tool reviewer. Dan said he was almost asking pay to play when it came to his videos.

I saw a ton of complaints about TIA, and I get why they don't like it, but I don't think these guys understand how much effort and work goes into the videos. TIA had to cut back in detail to have a daily format. No one is going to watch 20 minute YT videos everyday on a channel. Dan and Eric are honest about sponsored videos. It's hard to get a review about a new tool while everyone is interested, and make it entertaining. Some people just want to see a guy drill 500 holes. In my mind run time tests are not that useful anymore with todays tools and high capacity packs

• Like 4

Oh, wow someone on GJ called out AvE for taking all that Patreon money and not really proving all the much from reviews wise. I thinks that's fair he should have at least one big tool review a week if your collecting that kind of cash 7k a month is a lot. I know Patreon and the tax man gets a cut but still.

I don't really see much new content from RTR anymore. I thought his channel was sort of hitting a wall or something. And looking over AvE's channel it looks like tons of random stuff with a sprinkling of tool tear downs. Isn't he the guy who didn't know what a multitool was for?

• Like 1

I don't really see much new content from RTR anymore. I thought his channel was sort of hitting a wall or something. And looking over AvE's channel it looks like tons of random stuff with a sprinkling of tool tear downs. Isn't he the guy who didn't know what a multitool was for?

Yes, he was very ignorant of its use, it was pathetic really, my respect for him dropped substantially not when he proved his ignorance for the tool, but rather when he didn't admit to lack of knowledge of the tools use.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

If that's that guy that dissects tools, I couldn't get through even one video. Found all the minutiae pointless, and didn't like his presentation one bit. Send him money? Yeah, right.

The RTR kid I found likeable enough, though I probably haven't watched a review of his in at least a year. I just don't get the point of sitting there and watching some guy drill 107 holes, and especially where it's usually someone who obviously doesn't have all that much experience actually using tools.

2 hours ago, Bremon said:

Something is funny with RTE and all the off the wall things he reviews. Some of it seems sponsored but not disclosed I could be wrong, but a lot of the reviews are from brands I never really heard of before and one off tools.

2 hours ago, KnarlyCarl said:

Yes, he was very ignorant of its use, it was pathetic really, my respect for him dropped substantially not when he proved his ignorance for the tool, but rather when he didn't admit to lack of knowledge of the tools use.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I think he needed to say that the multitool didn't apply to what he was doing in the shop. I don't see a huge use for a OMT for a guy doing machining. If he admitted that it would have been a better review. He dosen't admit that his expertese is only in a narrow window. He isn't a mechanic. framer, plumber, electrician, dry waller, or plumber

1 hour ago, sparky603 said:

If that's that guy that dissects tools, I couldn't get through even one video. Found all the minutiae pointless, and didn't like his presentation one bit. Send him money? Yeah, right.

The RTR kid I found likeable enough, though I probably haven't watched a review of his in at least a year. I just don't get the point of sitting there and watching some guy drill 107 holes, and especially where it's usually someone who obviously doesn't have all that much experience actually using tools.

Well its a good gig he's getting over 7k a month to do his videos which I think the quality has gone down on.

3 hours ago, DR99 said:

Well its a good gig he's getting over 7k a month to do his videos which I think the quality has gone down on.

Yeah, I'm not saying the guy should give it up or anything, he's doing alright for himself.

What some of these folks are making is pretty obscene. I had never heard of this PewDiePie dude, but Googled him after they referenced him in a South Park episode. Made something like $124,000,000 already, for acting incredibly silly on camera. Yes, 1/8 of a billion dollars. Crazy, but then so is hundreds of millions for throwing a ball for a few years.

• Like 1

Is AVE a Dick yes is he entertaining at times but I watch some of his stuff. As for RTR Daniel loves to hear himself talk, he is so self absorbed and self centered. I would like to know how his podcast is doing but if it is like his youtube channel where he buys views to make himself look good it most likely sucks. 

• Like 2

I just can't stand RTR because... "This set comes with a case. If you pull on these taps that say 'pull' you'll unlock the case and you can open the case, then you are free to grab anything from inside of the case that was once latched shut. When you have finished, you can close the lid and those latches will lock automatically and then you can pick up the case and move to anywhere you want to go. *Smiles at camera*"

• Like 3

I watched rtrs review of those new kobalt drill, I know it's plastic, I know how to change speeds, I know how to adjust the clutch and forward in reverse, he talks like we are idiots and have never used a drill before can't stand that

Jimbo

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I actually enjoy AvE, for the most part.  When I was a kid, and even still now, I always enjoyed taking things apart, to see what's inside. I also like TIA's style, 2 guys having fun talking about tools, Dan and Eric don't talk down to you like your a moron, they have good chemistry, and I can always count on a laugh.

3 hours ago, JimboS1ice said:

I watched rtrs review of those new kobalt drill, I know it's plastic, I know how to change speeds, I know how to adjust the clutch and forward in reverse, he talks like we are idiots and have never used a drill before can't stand that

Jimbo

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The guy literally explains what happens when you squeeze the trigger, a toddler knows what happens when you squeeze a drill's trigger.

• Like 2

The guy literally explains what happens when you squeeze the trigger, a toddler knows what happens when you squeeze a drill's trigger.

The only time I watch his videos is if I want to see the tool a little closer and with some different angles that I can't get off the companies website. Everytime I do though I feel guilty like I cheated on Dan and Eric! I can't really take his voice either.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

• Like 2

13 hours ago, BMack37 said:

I just can't stand RTR because... "This set comes with a case. If you pull on these taps that say 'pull' you'll unlock the case and you can open the case, then you are free to grab anything from inside of the case that was once latched shut. When you have finished, you can close the lid and those latches will lock automatically and then you can pick up the case and move to anywhere you want to go. *Smiles at camera*"

HA HA HA HA Nailed It!!

I dunno about you guys but there are a lot of stupid people out there that don't know how to use a drill.

I've had people come to tool rental to ask me why their drill wasn't working but the light would turn on. (F/W switch was in the middle).

I've had older gentlemen bring back drills with ratcheting chucks because it didn't have a key.

I've had to show people how to change and charge batteries.

I see where RTR is coming from and I know hes targeting the DIY/Weekend warrior scene as there are many, many more people watching improvement shows.

and as for people that watch 20 minutes of some guy drilling holes in 2by's I know lots of people that watch golf and stupid cat videos on YT theres tons of people with time to waste.

as for AVE, yeah i miss when he would actually take a tool apart and show you the innards could really give a shit less if he thinks the tool is dogshit, but i like to know whats inside the things I buy or may buy, really wish he would trash the random dumb crap that he puts on his channel and stick to eviscerating tools. And lets be honest, 80% of the people that watch his channel now have no idea what a mosfet is or planetary gears.

Agreed on RTR.

He's essentially a glorified low budget infomercial. Too much detail about stuff that is not important and the monotone voice is numbing too say the least.

I feel sorry for his wife, I can't even imagine on what it would be like to listen to that every day. 

7 hours ago, 99_XC600 said:

Agreed on RTR.

He's essentially a glorified low budget infomercial. Too much detail about stuff that is not important and the monotone voice is numbing too say the least.

I feel sorry for his wife, I can't even imagine on what it would be like to listen to that every day. 

Probably why she sends him outside to drill 300 holes in a block of wood for no reason.

• Like 2