DWV010 Dust Extractor

wildroamer

So , I'm looking into dust extraction options, hoping to save my lungs. Liking the Festools, not loving the price. The Bosch VAC90's look nice also, until you pay for the HEPA filter, which apparently negates the self cleaning, and brings the price into Festy territory.

That brings me to Dewalt, and the DWV010. I've read some conflicting reports of 130 cfm and 150 cfm. Also, somewhere here it was said no wet vac capabilities. 

Looking at Dewalt site, I see 150cfm, wet/dry, auto clean, tool activation, anti-static hose.

Thoughts? Anyone have one? At $300, seems like the ticket.

It might have received a update raising the original CFM. 150 is standard issue ratings and 130 would IMO be subpar. 

Personally I'm thinking about going with one of Ridgid's 6.5hp vac's which are rated at 200 CFM, and using it in combination with a Dust Deputy. The issue with regular vac's is that they filters clog quickly causing a loss in CFM, but using it with the dust deputy means you get the best of both worlds, clean filters meaning superior CFM while keeping your contents in a separate container. 

I've used a high end dust extractor with a floor grinder (like a $800 unit), had fancy rare earth magnets to shank the dual stage filters clean, and cost me a lot of money to rent. 

To grind that floor, about 1,500 sq ft, I had to completely disassemble that vac and clean it out like 6 times even with all that fancy dual stage cleaning crap. I think it's overrated. Made lots of cool sounds though, lol. Only thing you can't take away from them is the ones that have the tool actuated switches, that is no lie a sweet feature. Ridgid's vacs draw a lot of power and require separate circuits from high draw tools, that's the only downside.  

• Like 2

It might have received a update raising the original CFM. 150 is standard issue ratings and 130 would IMO be subpar. 

Personally I'm thinking about going with one of Ridgid's 6.5hp vac's which are rated at 200 CFM, and using it in combination with a Dust Deputy. The issue with regular vac's is that they filters clog quickly causing a loss in CFM, but using it with the dust deputy means you get the best of both worlds, clean filters meaning superior CFM while keeping your contents in a separate container. 

I've used a high end dust extractor with a floor grinder (like a $800 unit), had fancy rare earth magnets to shank the dual stage filters clean, and cost me a lot of money to rent. 

To grind that floor, about 1,500 sq ft, I had to completely disassemble that vac and clean it out like 6 times even with all that fancy dual stage cleaning crap. I think it's overrated. Made lots of cool sounds though, lol. Only thing you can't take away from them is the ones that have the tool actuated switches, that is no lie a sweet feature. Ridgid's vacs draw a lot of power and require separate circuits from high draw tools, that's the only downside.  

Figured that out real quick with my ridgid vac, when I had it in the same line as my OMT I went from about 10000 to 6000 opms lol and I didn't touch the dial

Jimbo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, JimboS1ice said:

Figured that out real quick with my ridgid vac, when I had it in the same line as my OMT I went from about 10000 to 6000 opms lol and I didn't touch the dial

Jimbo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yea they don't kid around. The new ones with the scroll noise reduction are stupid quiet too. I think the 6.5hp is around 80 decibels now, or about as loud as a garbage disposal or dishwasher. Pretty incredible considering it's drawing 200cfm through a straw, practically. 

Thanks JS, power draw may indeed be an issue for me until I get my shop wiring sorted out.

I just took a quick look at the Ridgid 14 gal HEPA vac. Quite a bit more $ than the Dewalt. 

I also checked out the Dust Deputy. Wow! I wonder how that would mate with the DWV010?

3 minutes ago, wildroamer said:

Thanks JS, power draw may indeed be an issue for me until I get my shop wiring sorted out.

I just took a quick look at the Ridgid 14 gal HEPA vac. Quite a bit more $ than the Dewalt. 

I also checked out the Dust Deputy. Wow! I wonder how that would mate with the DWV010?

https://www.festoolproducts.com/Oneida-AXD000009-Ultimate-Dust-Deputy-p/axd000009.htm

I have this u it atop my Festool Midi. The Dust Deputy is honestly the best cash I've spent. It is truly amazing at how little dust gets through to my bags. I don't care what your using for DC, from a standalone wired unit to a shop vac, worth every penny.

• Like 3

I recently picked up both a DWV012 and a DWV010, both through Ebay, and it was a DWV010X model in particular which comes with 2 hoses. I got both from Bollard Tools (who ships via FedEx, not USPS or UPS),  the listing for the DWV010X is: http://www.ebay.com/itm/DeWalt-DWV010-X-Hepa-RRP-8g-Vac-Promo-2-Hoses-Included-/252383901128?hash=item3ac340b5c8:g:waoAAOSwPv9XMKOe 

The DWV012 is a 10 gallon unit and the DWV010 is a 8 gallon. Both have dual filters with the self cleaning feature. Both feature a tool start/ vacuum start ability with a run after cutoff delay. The DWV012 has variable suction 2 large wheels, 2 casters and a collapsible handle allowing it to be moves similar to a 2 wheel hand truck. It also has a roughly 1 1/2 inch outside diameter hose with a proprietary quick coupler on it. The DWV010 has 4 small casters and it reminds me of a mop bucket with it's shape and how it rolls. It does not have the variable suction feature. The 2 hose that come with the DWV010X are very different, one has the same roughly 1 1/2 inch O.D. hose with the proprietary quick connect , the second hose is a larger diameter hose with a 2 1/4 inch end that will work with more traditional shop vacuum tools and would connect up to a Dust Deputy without any effort.  

My thoughts on the two are: The DWV012 would have much better mobility getting into and out of a jobsite, where as the DWV010 would be much handier mobility wise in a shop environment. The variable suction is nice when you hook the DWV012 to a random orbital sander, but otherwise the dual hoses of the DWV010X make it far more useful, DeWALT has about 10 adapters that can be used to connect to the proprietary quick connect, they run around $10 to $20 on Amazon.

Now for the detractors, DeWALT allowed an idiot to number these, why couldn't they be a DWV08 and DWV10, so that you could instantly tell how big they are? The other complaint is, they have the same quick connect on the hose end, but they actually have different connections at the tank end of the hose so each vacuum has a different hose, not common hoses so you can't take the big hose and connect it to the bigger vacuum.   

• Like 3

2 hours ago, wildroamer said:

Hey, thanks for your take, HJ! Your plan of attack definitely makes a lot of sense. The only part I wonder about is those tiny micro-particles getting through. Is the Ridgid you're considering HEPA?

The vac isn't what makes one HEPA, it's the filter. VF6000 is Ridgid's HEPA filter that fits all of their big vac's. 

If you're looking for the ultimate in dust capture and filtration, you need the Ridgid 6.5hp vac in any orientation, there's a few available but I recommend not getting the one with detachable blower as it suffers some CFM loss and increase in noise. Get the Dust Deputy. Next get the filter bags VF3502, and use it in combination with the VF600 HEPA. 

All considered you're probably going to be around 170 CFM with this combination, which is really good still considering the layering you're adding. With 2 stops of filtration before your HEPA, your filter will stay clean for a long, LONG time, far superior to a dust extractor by it's self. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Grumpy MSG said:

Now for the detractors, DeWALT allowed an idiot to number these, why couldn't they be a DWV08 and DWV10, so that you could instantly tell how big they are? The other complaint is, they have the same quick connect on the hose end, but they actually have different connections at the tank end of the hose so each vacuum has a different hose, not common hoses so you can't take the big hose and connect it to the bigger vacuum.   

When Dewalt selects numbering for products, they'll skip numbers that are taken by products already at market or color codes. You don't want people to google your product and find winter coats instead (DWV08) or security cameras (DWV10). 

They take what's available. Since there's billions of products, color codes, etc... many get taken, thus the skipping. 

I don't buy that. Who cares if there are other products with those numbers though. Why not make it more understandable for people using your tools to glean more info from. If there are winter coats etc. with those sku numbers they disappear from google just by putting "dewalt" in your search. 

Plus it's not like they don't have "some" info in their naming schemes.

dcd796. Dewalt cordless drill - model #

dcn660. Dewalt cordless nailer. model #

That's my assumption anyway. No worse than Milwaukee's system overall though. The model numbers make sense but the kit numbers are stupid. Why is everything 2x. -20 bare tool. -22 2 battery kit. Why does it need that first 2? 2704-0, 2704-2 is easy enough to understand lol.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Bremon said:

I don't buy that. Who cares if there are other products with those numbers though.

Probably people who's entire job it is to do product research and insure that there's no conflict with marketing. There's an entire science behind helping get the best results with google's algorithm (and others but who cares) based on the number of returned queries with perfect or near perfect matches so when a search is done for a model number, only results pertaining to that item are returned first, because they're the most relevant. Retailers, replacement parts, accessories, reviews, etc...if there's overlapping numbers it can make it messy.

It's more complicated than just making sense or it doesn't matter. There's a reason. 

7 hours ago, wildroamer said:

Thanks for the input guys. X model on eBay, with the extra hose, looks promising. Just don't want to end up with a 130 cfm model. 

I don't have a meter to test the flow ratings, but I couldn't really tell the difference between the two vacuums and the DWV012 is supposed to have slightly more CFM.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the thoughts/input gang, and thanks @Grumpy MSG for the eBay link!

Can't beat two anti-static hoses plus the tapered adapter! 

Any thoughts on when to go with the larger diameter hose versus the smaller?

Also, just a head's-up, make sure you get one that is 150cfm's, as apparently there are 130's floating around.

IMG_20160809_152430707.jpg

• Like 1

Any time you need to connect the hose to something with an adapter the small diameter hose is what you need to connect to a normal size (2 1/4 inch) shop vac accessory you will use the big hose. The adapter that comes with it is the DWV9120 which happens to slip into the dust bag adapter on my DW718 miter saw. I suspect it will fit in the dust bag adapter on most of the older miter saws. The newer saws like the DWS780 look like the hose adapter locks right on the bag adapter. I am sure it also hooks up to the "Perform and Protect" dust collection shrouds for the various hammer drills and grinders.

The DWV9000 adapter is what comes on the end of the small diameter hose. The DWV9190 is an adapter that allows you to mount  the DWV9000 on a regular shop vacuum hose. The DWV9110 through DWV9180 are the various adapters that plug into the DWV9000. You will figure out which hose to use when in just a few minutes. One of the things I did look take a close look at is the the small hose itself. the ribs on it are actually a spiral, so the DWV9000 adapter just screws on. It also happens to be the same diameter as one of the pool vacuum hoses available by the foot at Home Depot, so if you want a longer hose you can do it for about $4.50 a foot.

• Like 2