Help Installing Drill Bits in Makita XPH07Z

AlexMaskovyak

I recently purchased a Makita XPH07Z LXT Driver Drill and am trying to install drill bits. The instructions say to turn the sleeve but my sleeve only seems to turn and click into a position and doesn't "close" or "open" around the bit. Is anyone familiar with this tool and how to use it? I don't want to try to force the sleeve and end up breaking the tool. I've used Makita drills before and I was able to just turn the sleeve freely. What am I doing wrong?

6 hours ago, AlexMaskovyak said:

So, after fiddling with it, I ended up pushing the sleeve down while turning it. It seemed to click more (like a light ratcheting sound this time) and now it turns freely like it should. 

I have noticed on just about any brand with ratcheting chucks, if I close the jaws all the way down on themselves, without a bit in, it will ratchet down like normal but it then won't open freely at first. I have to open the jaws under resistance, then retighten a bit and it will free up.... Not sure why it does that 

Or it could be a bum chuck. When I started in the Milwaukee line, I had a bad M18 drill chuck. Metal chuck but it was garbage. I replaced the drill with another one and it worked fine. In my case, I would ratchet the chuck tightly on the bit and when I used it, the chuck was clicking. I tried to loosen the chuck and it took a lot of force. I kept messing with it and got ticked off and brought it back and ended up with another drill. I think in my case the drill chuck may have had some debris in it from manufacturing or something of the sort. 

21 hours ago, KnarlyCarl said:

I have noticed on just about any brand with ratcheting chucks, if I close the jaws all the way down on themselves, without a bit in, it will ratchet down like normal but it then won't open freely at first. I have to open the jaws under resistance, then retighten a bit and it will free up.... Not sure why it does that 

I've had that issue with both dewalt and Milwaukee