Welding with 110V Welder...

comp56

thought I would test out my little 110V buss box, this little welder can weld flux core or with gas however I am testing flux core here

I picked this welder up for less than $199 on sale from $549 so I thought for the little welding I would do here and there it would be good.

right out of the box this welder surprised me, within 15 seconds I had it dialed in very nicely to run small beads. just for the record I haven't touched a welder of any kind in 16 yrs.......lol 

20160918_115538.jpg

20160918_115602.jpg

20160918_115628.jpg

here is the link to the actual welder.....

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/mastercraft-mig-and-flux-welder-0588195p.html#srp

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, Fletcher94 said:

Looks like a great start again. For not welding in 16 years those aren't bad. They need work but you have the idea. 

I can't tell for sure but if those are galvanized hinges please be careful. Those fumes can cause serious problems. 

THANKS, working in a fab shop for nearly my whole career I wear a under mask respirator  anywhere near welding..

8 minutes ago, comp56 said:

THANKS, working in a fab shop for nearly my whole career I wear a under mask respirator  anywhere near welding..

Good to hear. 

I remeber a guy I knew who ended up in hospital after galvinized fumes. I never welded galvinized at that point, I figured it was all in his head. I later googled it an all sorts of specific things you can get from the chemical procces when heated. 

1 hour ago, Fletcher94 said:

Good to hear. 

I remeber a guy I knew who ended up in hospital after galvinized fumes. I never welded galvinized at that point, I figured it was all in his head. I later googled it an all sorts of specific things you can get from the chemical procces when heated. 

Like brake clean

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Fletcher94 said:

Good to hear. 

Fume fever. It's crappy but it won't kill you. I've welded all day on galvanized head locks with no magic voodoo maskery with no problems. That doesn't mean you shouldn't though.

41 minutes ago, KnarlyCarl said:

Like brake clean

THIS!!!!! PHOSGENE GAS SHOULDN'T BE TAKEN LIGHTLY.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/26/2016 at 9:16 PM, Fletcher94 said:

Effects of Over-Exposure

Short term:

Zinc oxide fume causes a flu-like illness called metal fume fever. Symptoms of metal fume fever include headache, fever, chills,
muscle aches, nausea, vomiting, weakness, and tiredness. The symptoms usually start several hours after exposure. The attack
may last 6 to 24 hours. Metal fume fever is more likely to occur after a period away from the job (after weekends or vacations). High levels of exposure to zinc oxide fume may cause a metallic or sweet taste in the mouth, dryness and irritation of the throat, and coughing at the time of exposure.

Long term:

None known.

https://www.cdc.gov/niosh/docs/81-123/pdfs/0675.pdf

I have several 110 welders in my shop.  Two Lincoln wire welders, a Harbor Freight wire welder and the Klutz stick welder.  The best one so far is one I picked up from Northern tool a few years ago.  It's inverter type stick welder.  Not much bigger than a shoe box.  I keep it on the second shelf of my welding cart, directly under my small plasma cutter.  Awesome welder for any projects I need to do.  You can also purchase a tig attachment for it.

• 2 months later...