Makita LXPH03 - First thoughts

Conductor562

So the online tool community is abuzz over the announcement of the Makita LXPH03. The new model boast the following:

1277_makita-lxph03-hammer-drill-1346216551.jpg

• 750 in-lb max torque
  • All-metal 1/2″ ratcheting chuck
  • 4-pole brushed motor
  • 0-400/0-2,000 RPM
  • 0-6,000/0-30,000 BPM
  • 8-7/8″ overall length
  • “XPT” extreme protection – internal components are sealed for greater water and dust resistance
  • Dual LED work lights
  • 30-minute charge time

If these specs hold true the LXPH03 is the new leader of the pack in terms of torque boasting a 25% increase over the previous model. At 5.1 lbs it's a 1/2 pound heavier than the Milwaukee 2604 but a shade lighter than the Dewalt DCD985. In terms of length, it's also a tad longer that 2604 while being a bit shorter than the 985. The real puzzling thing about the LXPH03 is that it is not brushless. At a time when brushless is the latest, greatest, thing it's surprising to me that Makita would go with a brushed motor when they themselves have had brushless tools for some time now.

What's your thoughts?

I'm not overly knowledgable of the technology either, but Milwaukee got 725 in/lbs out of the 2604 Fuel versus 650 with the high performace brushed 2611model from the previous generation and attributed the gains mainly toward the brushless aspect of it.

Everyone makes a big thing out of power from a battery drill.

By now any regular readers know I am a fan of Metabo's 4 pole 18v line, and that Metabo do not make a brushless version.

However the 18v LTX has well over 800 lb-ft of torque which is well above any brushless drill.

It is great that Makita are beefing up and strengthening the 18v drill they produce.

My only concern is the Makita battery which has a very very bad reputation over here in the U.K on the job site.

And I have seen a few smoke when under load because of protection issues.

I am not a Makita hater in any way,I just hope this drill has addressed these issues and that we hear good feed back from users.

• 3 months later...

What is up with these meatballs!?! Handbags?!? Seriously dude!?! Handbags!?!

Conductor you've got a really good point with the Fuel drill. I'm curious too because the brush less tools don't seem to be to the same level as other manufacturers. Also, I used to have the BHP454. Nice drill but the thing was as long as a 74 Cadillac! Brush less allows a more compact tool. And I agree with Wayne, not a bash on Makita but smoking tools is not cool! Especially when your dropping two bones on them! I would really like to try Metabo out, problem is, mail order is the only way so you can't even go to the store to play with them but the stats are really impressive!

Now if you will all excuse me, the last email has really made me want to go out and buy a handbag that will match my skirt. I'll just hop in the Prius and check back later...hahahahahahaha!

What is up with these meatballs!?! Handbags?!? Seriously dude!?! Handbags!?! Conductor you've got a really good point with the Fuel drill. I'm curious too because the brush less tools don't seem to be to the same level as other manufacturers. Also, I used to have the BHP454. Nice drill but the thing was as long as a 74 Cadillac! Brush less allows a more compact tool. And I agree with Wayne, not a bash on Makita but smoking tools is not cool! Especially when your dropping two bones on them! I would really like to try Metabo out, problem is, mail order is the only way so you can't even go to the store to play with them but the stats are really impressive! Now if you will all excuse me, the last email has really made me want to go out and buy a handbag that will match my skirt. I'll just hop in the Prius and check back later...hahahahahahaha!

Sorry Chris, that spam post must have slipped through the cracks. It's gone now and the poster is banned. I figured this Makita would be grabbing some headlines by now, but I don't think I've heard about it since. Makita always had an excellent reputation for quality, but most of their press lately hasn't been all that positive. I've had good luck with my Makita stuff, but none of it is cordless either. 

• Like 1

Hey! Thanks for removing the spam! That is wicked quick!!! You guys are awesome!

If you run into garbage like that in the future, just click the report button at the bottom of the post and we'll be on it like Rosie O'Donnell on a cheeseburger.

• Like 1

Hey Conductor! My only Makita tool is the Hypoid Mag saw. I absolutely love it! You are dead on about the press on this. The first I even heard about it was on Craigslist. A guy had the combo for sale about two months ago. I had never heard of it and went to Makita USA to figure it out. I was REALLY surprised that the tool was not brush less. For the cost you might think it was. My brother has a Makita BHP452 that he absolutely loves (I bought it for him) but I have to admit Milwaukee seems to be my preference (plus that Brush less Hitachi!) No fuel gauges, limited brush less tech, maybe they are just fizzling out after all of this tech from other manufacturers, not able to catch up?

• Like 1

It really puzzles me too. Makita has typically been one of those companies that laid the ground work on new technology, but the last couple of years they've just been off in left field. They were the first manufacturer to offer brushless tools and I would have thought that by now they'd have more brushless tools than anyone. They never adapted to fuel gages and they're the only major manufacturer from which I haven't heard any talk of 4.0ah batteries. They were 2 years behind the ball with the multi-tools and their 12V line is shameful in comparison the competition (especially Milwaukee). The only press Makita has generated has been about batteries failing and drills catching on fire. Last year I predicted 2013 would be a big year for Makita. I predicted a new wave of brushless tools, and expanded 12V line, and 4.0ah packs. The year is young but now I'm kinda thinking they're going to make a fool of me. 

Yeah, I am hoping to see it come to HD. My two stores have stopped carrying the 454 so maybe it will be showing up soon? Regardless, my first compact set was the Makita 10.8. I sold it. Awesome tools, no battery expansion, no other tools. Now they have added the wrench, circular saw, flashlight, vacuum and jigsaw, but it took forever and like,e Bosch (which blows my mind) no serious battery expansions. I have the M12 multi tool and rotary tool (and now the hammer drill) with a ton of 1.5 batteries and a 3.0 battery. Still you have to wonder why Makita is doing what they are doing. They seemed to be on fire for quite a while and now...

Amen to that.  We had to put a beef restriction on her.  So sad :(

And as far as Bosch goes!  Come on guys!  Why dont you release them here too!  Although I saw a fashion video of Bosch work clothes being released in Europe! HAHAHAHAHAHAHA  Man!  I pee'd myself laughing!  Capri's?  Capri's?  Who the heck wears Capri's that stands up in the bathroom?  Still I have the Bosch PS360D Jobsite Radio!  No Capri wearing there Mister!  I cannot wait to see their newest tool line come out! That looks really sweet!  Tons of torque, brushless, 4.0Ah batteries!!!!!

Hell, even Dewalt released their 4.0ah packs on Wayne's side of the pond first and to my knowledge still haven't released them here. Makita releases everything in Japan ages before it gets here and Metabo doesn't even bother to release most of their shit here period. The only manufacturer that releases their stuff here first is Milwaukee. 

Are any of the blue collar guys on your side of the world wearing capris Wayne? Every man in America who shows up looking like he just left a gay pride parade says "You guys are just ignorant. This stuff is huge in europe". Man purses are a good example of this. 

• Like 1

P.S Is Rosie the reason Burgers are smaller in Europe? Because she nibbles and inch off all the way round each one before they leave the U.S?   :)

The food and drink industry has realized it isn't worth the bullshit they have to go through to make foods healthier, so they've resorted to just reducing the portions. That's why we now have 6 oz. steaks, 8 oz. Coke's, and short little cigarettes.  

None of those girlie trousers here guys LOL

The only thing huge in Europe would be the rise in on site aggression and calls to ambulance services for the blokes who turn up wearing them. :)

As well it should be. Capri pants and handbags were not meant for men.

• 3 months later...