What To Do With My Empty Power Tool Cases?

Claeg

I like the tool bags personally, I use them to transport everything. Hell, I used the big contractor bag to take my shoes and accessories to the hotel room where all of us groomsmen were getting dressed a couple months ago. I mostly use them for carrying tools, just pack in the tools I need for the job in one or two. I'd gladly take any of the tool bags you guys don't use, perfect or accessories too.

Though, I still drool over the old metal cases.

6 hours ago, phffter said:

whomever the engineers are, who designed plastic cases, that the cord must be tucked in exactly 'so', so you can close said plastic box, should be lined up against a wall and shot.

You know the jobsite idiot that you stick in a corner doing something time consuming that's impossible to mess up but he messes up anyway?  The engineering equivalent is the guy who designs the case.

• Like 2

Milwaukee makes a nice blow molded case, but the problem is it takes up a shitload of space. The only time I want a case like that is on an expensive too like a propress video scope or something similar. A drill give me a case that is nice and modular.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, DR99 said:

Milwaukee makes a nice blow molded case, but the problem is it takes up a shitload of space. The only time I want a case like that is on an expensive too like a propress video scope or something similar. A drill give me a case that is nice and modular.

Expensive tools in blow molded cases?  No way.  Those get foam inserts in a real case.

• Like 1

I've thought about cutting up the insides to reuse them, but the biggest problem I've got with them is that they're ALL different sizes.  The chaos that is created when you try to stack them or even sit them on a shelf isn't worth the savings.  I'm not quite to the point where I'm willing to shell out the $3,000 for a wall of systainers, but it's very appealing, I'm not going to lie.

Anyway, right now, the boxes that hold rarely used tools hold the tools to protect them and keep them out of the way.  The boxes for regularly used tools get stacked on a shelf.  I should probably do something with them, but I can't quite get to the point where I'll throw the into recycling.

Since I will never use this case I decided to cut it up. I just held the 12v drill, charger, and extra battery. Now it will hold that and the hackzall and impact. 6ad58c07a8a36ecf16096fc4a48a03eb.jpg

Works well for the time being. I only had the hackzall to cut it up with so there are some stray cuts in the outside and very rough inside. It's one of the smallest cases so I wanted to try and see if I would like it before I try something bigger like the 18v drill and impact case.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

You know the jobsite idiot that you stick in a corner doing something time consuming that's impossible to mess up but he messes up anyway?  The engineering equivalent is the guy who designs the case.

Like the guy that designed my Bosch router case?? I felt like a damn caveman trying to put it back in one day

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, JimboS1ice said:

Like the guy that designed my Bosch router case?? I felt like a damn caveman trying to put it back in one day

Yup I've had some cases like that....mostly nailer cases. You try ever single possible orientation but it just doesn't fit!!! Thats why I don't use the cases they come in.

18 hours ago, jeffmcmillan said:

I've always equated that level with local traffic engineers, in any city I have ever lived in.

• Like 1

For us that's not even the guy who sets device boxes during a rough in! To critical!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

most of my power tools were bought way back when, when they came in steel cases.

whomever the engineers are, who designed plastic cases, that the cord must be tucked in exactly 'so', so you can close said plastic box, should be lined up against a wall and shot.

ive tried to hollow out plastic cases. usually wind up throwing them out.

the tool bags kits come in, arte generally useless.

i pick up steel cases wherever i can, and homak still makes steel boxes, made in USA.

Along with the person that designed the box for the Milwaukee M-Spector. Getting a 9' metal camera cable wrapped just perfectly so the lid closes is the reason I don't use my M-Spector often. At least with power cables they're flexible.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, justinkendall said:

Along with the person that designed the box for the Milwaukee M-Spector. Getting a 9' metal camera cable wrapped just perfectly so the lid closes is the reason I don't use my M-Spector often. At least with power cables they're flexible.

That's funny. I have the 9' mspector and just wrap the cable in the box as it is intended and it goes real easy. It's always the chargers and cords that would screw me up. That's why I don't use chargers from the boxes. Just use the m12/m18 rapid charger station

• Like 2

That's funny. I have the 9' mspector and just wrap the cable in the box as it is intended and it goes real easy. It's always the chargers and cords that would screw me up. That's why I don't use chargers from the boxes. Just use the m12/m18 rapid charger station

Maybe it's because I use it so infrequently that I have an issue. I've used it maybe 5 times and had it out of the case less than 10 times in the 3 years I've had it. I always find myself having to redo it 3-4 times to get the lid closed.

I ditch the cases right off (somehow Habitat can sell them), using a Milwaukee job box instead. I have 5 separate ones for different tools. M18 (mostly) drills/impacts, M18 saws, M18 lights, M12 tools, and one for M18 batteries. This is three of them.

Maybe I'll make a bluetooth boom box out of my next case though, saw a video of one done with a Stanley organizer..... 

20160706_130734 1.jpg

20160706_130811 1.jpg

20160706_130653 1.jpg

• Like 1

Im actually in a  dilemma, I got a Bostitch (dewalt rebrand) grinder for christmas and it came as a sweet kit with a cut off and grinding guard and a case that everything fits nicely, including the wrench and discs, I may just keep it!

even though I have  abridged stack with my grinders in it  hmmmmm

• Like 2

Im actually in a  dilemma, I got a Bostitch (dewalt rebrand) grinder for christmas and it came as a sweet kit with a cut off and grinding guard and a case that everything fits nicely, including the wrench and discs, I may just keep it!

even though I have  abridged stack with my grinders in it  hmmmmm

The only case I'm attached to (at least until my Pro 5 actually shows up) is the one my 10-1/4" saw came in and that's only because it's metal. That being said I'm hanging on to my cases so if I decide to ever sell any tools I can sell the whole kit. Plus with the two rapid chargers and the rapid charge station I have some place to keep all of the excess chargers I will never use out of the way.

• Like 2

Yeah the only power tools I keep in the van with their original cases are the m-Spector, my 5359 sds plus, and my dewalt ([emoji37]) DCN 692 framing nailer. I don't really want to ditch the framing nailer, and the 5359's boxes. I don't use them daily, so I haven't seen the need to make them more accessible. Same goes for the m-Spector. I'd just rather it stay as protected as possible, even though a sysII, and some of Brian's Kaizen foam would be better. I keep it behind the drivers seat of the van, and a sysII won't fit as easily.

16 hours ago, justinkendall said:

The only case I'm attached to (at least until my Pro 5 actually shows up) is the one my 10-1/4" saw came in and that's only because it's metal. That being said I'm hanging on to my cases so if I decide to ever sell any tools I can sell the whole kit. Plus with the two rapid chargers and the rapid charge station I have some place to keep all of the excess chargers I will never use out of the way.

I wish all tools came in a universal box, I kept the systainer obviously, or the L-box my 572 jig came in, those are no brainers considering the contents of the kit, I am considering starting a systainer stack for my sanding needs as well, but when you get the blow mold cases that slide around, I can't stand those

• Like 1

I wish all tools came in a universal box, I kept the systainer obviously, or the L-box my 572 jig came in, those are no brainers considering the contents of the kit, I am considering starting a systainer stack for my sanding needs as well, but when you get the blow mold cases that slide around, I can't stand those

I hear ya! I've been keeping my one key kit in its blow molded case, to try and keep the drills in decent shape as long as possible, but I've had it with that damn box ending up on the other side of the van.

I hear ya! I've been keeping my one key kit in its blow molded case, to try and keep the drills in decent shape as long as possible, but I've had it with that damn box ending up on the other side of the van.

RIDGID stacks are a nice option

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Like 1