What To Do With My Empty Power Tool Cases?

Claeg

So Crew, what do you men do with your power tool boxes and cases that you don't store you power tools in? I think the cases are sturdy and well contructed, but they are often cast molded in the inside and are not made for other tools. I think I am going to cut out the molding and use them for something else. Does anyone have any better ideas? Are they worth selling? What have you done with yours?

• Like 3

I've thought about cutting up the insides to reuse them, but the biggest problem I've got with them is that they're ALL different sizes.  The chaos that is created when you try to stack them or even sit them on a shelf isn't worth the savings.  I'm not quite to the point where I'm willing to shell out the $3,000 for a wall of systainers, but it's very appealing, I'm not going to lie.

Anyway, right now, the boxes that hold rarely used tools hold the tools to protect them and keep them out of the way.  The boxes for regularly used tools get stacked on a shelf.  I should probably do something with them, but I can't quite get to the point where I'll throw the into recycling.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, khariV said:

I've thought about cutting up the insides to reuse them, but the biggest problem I've got with them is that they're ALL different sizes.  The chaos that is created when you try to stack them or even sit them on a shelf isn't worth the savings.  I'm not quite to the point where I'm willing to shell out the $3,000 for a wall of systainers, but it's very appealing, I'm not going to lie.

Anyway, right now, the boxes that hold rarely used tools hold the tools to protect them and keep them out of the way.  The boxes for regularly used tools get stacked on a shelf.  I should probably do something with them, but I can't quite get to the point where I'll throw the into recycling.

Funny you mention that, the only tools I kept in the boxes they came in are an L-Boxx and a Systainer, personally I prefer the sustainer over the L-Boxx even though the prices are less attractive lol

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, JimboS1ice said:

personally I prefer the sustainer over the L-Boxx even though the prices are less attractive lol

I am with you on this. The L-Boxx just don't stack and unstack as easily as the systainer. Especially if you put a bunch of weight in them.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Conductor562 said:

I've cut the inside out of a couple and repurposed them, but I usually hide them somewhere for 3-4 years before I finally convince myself to throw them away.

ya no shit, I've tripped over a few a few times before I gave them away.....

• Like 1

Good idea for a thread, and I'm sure there are some interesting uses out there to be shared.

The move toward these LBoxx and Systainer type cases is something that should have happened years ago. There is always the occasional tool I prefer a hard case for, but I typically preferred the bags because they were at least usable for something if you weren't storing the tools in them. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Conductor562 said:

Good idea for a thread, and I'm sure there are some interesting uses out there to be shared.

The move toward these LBoxx and Systainer type cases is something that should have happened years ago. There is always the occasional tool I prefer a hard case for, but I typically preferred the bags because they were at least usable for something if you weren't storing the tools in them. 

Most boxes, especially them evil blow molds Ive tossed out, I wish all tools just a came in a systainer or really a box that would interlock with all other brands, i know thats a long shot at best but id hold onto it for that reason

• Like 1

What about hollowing the inside plastic and adding gray or black foam rubber. Out line your favorite handgun and mags, use a hot knife to cut out the outline and presto, change O, you have a cool gun case disguised as a power tool.  Hmmm, I may have to try this idea out.

Get kaizen inserts for them

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Claeg said:

So Crew, what do you men do with your power tool boxes and cases that you don't store you power tools in? I think the cases are sturdy and well contructed, but they are often cast molded in the inside and are not made for other tools. I think I am going to cut out the molding and use them for something else. Does anyone have any better ideas? Are they worth selling? What have you done with yours?

I'm always looking to buy Milwaukee hard cases for my tools if your selling any I don't have. 

• Like 1

Following, I like this Idea, I myself love those hard cases, I use them when I'm transporting my tools to make sure they don't get bashed around (I know I know they are tools and suppose to get bashed around) but I it's more of a love hate relationship as I like the case but to store your tools in them takes up so much room, so they end up empty in a corner somewhere to be forgotten about until the day I'll need one and can't find them.

• Like 1

Yeah, they are so specific to the tool, the only ones I have are for the m12 Propex tool because of the multiple heads I want to keep together, and my inspection camera, because of the cable on it I don't want it messed up.

Now that I think about it, i could easily put the pex tool and heads in a smaller case to take up much less room and add whatever else I wanted.

Everything else is in the Ridghid cart stack... I bought so many tool only that very few even came in cases, So I really didn't have many cases to begin with.....

I think there are much nicer cases out there to bother with the ones the tools came in

• Like 1

I've tossed most of mine. The exceptions are for my Dewalt 20v framer. Most of my tools are housed on shelves or in cabinets and most of my power tools have been relocated to systainers for ease of movement and storage. I have all of my life boxxes away to my brother. I liked those but I had maybe eight or nine as opposed to the multitude of systainers and when it came to moving from our last home in Rochester it made my decision easier. Personally, I like l boxxes but they don't stack quite as easily as my systainers. I have a Dewalt tough system box that houses my...eeeek.....gasp....cough.....Milwaukee Sawzall, and yes, it is an awesome American made tool and I kept one l boxx which houses my Bosch ROS65VCL router which is one of the best made routers out there. I started keeping my soft sided tool bags too. They are fantastic for hand tools and especially my lathe tools. I keep them in metal cabinets and my chucks and tools stay nice and protected in them.

I have heard some people be critical of systainers and l boxxes and truthfully they aren't Dewalt Toughsystem boxxes but I have never had one break or crack, even when dropped on the floor or thrown in the back of my truck. They are quite good and store most everything.

• Like 2

So this weekend I will be taking out all of the Christmas decorations and putting them around the house. So it jumped out at me, perhaps I'll use them to store the Christmas breakables. Red boxes for Christmas, right. Other than that from what I see they are selling for $10-20 on ebay. I'm not sure if that is worth my trouble for just few boxes. I do like the gun case idea, I think at least one of my boxes has a loop where a padlock can be put on it. Thanks for all the suggestions.

• Like 1

So, because I'm a masochist, I put together a spreadsheet with systainer prices and dimensions to play with different configurations and to see how much it would cost to convert my wall o' red boxes to systainers.

Well... lets just say that I've got better things to spend $3000 on right now.  I think systainers might be one of those things that you buy one or two of a month and build up your collection.  I do confess to wanting to buy some anthracite boxes and putting red latches and handles on them because if you're going to spend that kind of $$$ on storage, you might as well have it look bada$$.

• Like 2