Moving On Up!

Conductor562

Well, they sent the guy out and he, quite unfortunately, says our box isn't set up yet  so we are unable to get DSL

Im crushed. He did say it is in the works and thinks it will be available within 6 months. 

I feel like my dog just died

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• 3 weeks later...

What a week! Ran out of data with 8 days left in my billing cycle, so next to no internet, and the home button on my brand new iPhone crapped out and had to be sent to Apple for repair, so a few days with an antique phone and no data to load shit on it to boot. 

I live in technological hell. Absolutely shameful that in this day and time a simple Internet connection must cost as much as a car and is still insufficient. 

The Railroad has a big realignment announcement coming next week and is starting the 1 man crew shit again. 

Living the dream I tell you, living the dream ?

• Like 4

Wow feeding you line after line..... And how was it not known you box isn't setup at your house? You would think they would have they info available to tell you upfront....

I have DSL fortunately... Unfortunately the speeds are horrendous being on the end of the line apparently??  I'm just grateful it's unlimited tho

• Like 2

What a week! Ran out of data with 8 days left in my billing cycle, so next to no internet, and the home button on my brand new iPhone crapped out and had to be sent to Apple for repair, so a few days with an antique phone and no data to load shit on it to boot. 

I live in technological hell. Absolutely shameful that in this day and time a simple Internet connection must cost as much as a car and is still insufficient. 

The Railroad has a big realignment announcement coming next week and is starting the 1 man crew shit again. 

Living the dream I tell you, living the dream

Life working for the railroad or around the railroad is rough. I just got my bump papers from GE Transportation. My layoff is approaching.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2 minutes ago, ikepete said:

Life working for the railroad or around the railroad is rough. I just got my bump papers from GE Transportation. My layoff is approaching.

Sorry to hear that dude, I hope you can get something even better.

• Like 1

Good for you man. Have you picked an area of schooling ?

I'm looking at electrical. I think I'll like that. There was also industrial maintenance with the addition of wind and solar power attached to it

1 minute ago, ikepete said:

I'm looking at electrical. I think I'll like that. There was also industrial maintenance with the addition of wind and solar power attached to it

No that's petty cool. I'd love to get into electrical work at some point and the State will pay for one class a semester at my tech center. I've got a year and a half to retire and have been toying with a trades education when I get done. Good for you bro!

@ikepete: Guessing you're in Erie? I bet things have been rough for you guys too.

I'm so sick of the RR I could puke. Going on 14 years of their bullshit and have nothing to show for it. They've cut hundreds of jobs and still cutting more every week. 

I'm not sure how much more of this I can put up with honestly. It's definitely time to start thinking about an exit plan. Biggest problem is there just really isn't anything else around here. 

Hope everything works out for you man.

• Like 1

@ikepete: Guessing you're in Erie? I bet things have been rough for you guys too.

I'm so sick of the RR I could puke. Going on 14 years of their bullshit and have nothing to show for it. They've cut hundreds of jobs and still cutting more every week. 

I'm not sure how much more of this I can put up with honestly. It's definitely time to start thinking about an exit plan. Biggest problem is there just really isn't anything else around here. 

Hope everything works out for you man.

I'm at the Grove City plant south of Erie. We build the engines that they put in the locomotive in Erie. Both places have been hit hard. I don't see things getting better for the railroad. Especially if they decide to finish building the pipeline.

For the most part I have enjoyed my time where I'm at. It was a total change from my previous job. Not everyone can say they worked on a 42,000+ lbs engine

What would you do if you had the chance to get out?

@Conductor562 seeing as you have an apple device you may want to look into an apple tv. Apple devices tend to work well together. It's got an app store with plenty of apps, large selection of tv and movie content from netflix, sling, apple, and many more, has siri, and is a hub for homekit enabled smart devices. I am sure the amazon fire stick is great but I don't know how well it works with apple devices. Another option to consider is the Roku.

17 hours ago, Conductor562 said:

Living the dream I tell you, living the dream ?

Anything transportation I would be worried about self driving cars/trucks are going to decimate that industry quicker than people think.

10 minutes ago, DR99 said:

Anything transportation I would be worried about self driving cars/trucks are going to decimate that industry quicker than people think.

I just attended a summit in Mass in Movember the week before my son was born. Part of the summit was discussing the automated vehicle. This, the day after a beer delivery was made in Colorado. One of the serious problems with automated cars is factoring in the ability for the vehicle to break the law. This is important when deciding whether or not to collide with a pedestrian in the roadway, causing a collision with another vehicle. There is still a lot of work to be done with this and some very serious research to still be done. Remember when one of our car manufacturers was hacked a while back? Imagine the usefulness of smashing automated cars and or trucks carrying hazardous materials or passengers like a coach! 

• Like 1

On 1/19/2017 at 6:17 PM, DR99 said:

It's happening. They basically told us that the trucking and airline industries were going to do it, and they were to. 

Trump did the executive orders on the DAP and Keystone pipelines the crude tanker was one of the things that was working for the railroads. Just from the economics I don't think coal is coming back as an energy source natural gas because of fracking is just killing coal with the numbers.

10 hours ago, Conductor562 said:

It's happening. They basically told us that the trucking and airline industries were going to do it, and they were to. 

Sorry your going through this man....BUT in recent news a driver-less Uber car ran a redlight in San fran during its debut. Uber says it was 'human error' but we all know instances like this will happen more and more as time goes on. People will regret this technological shift at some point. Heres the youtube vid....it happens at 0:09sec 

On 1/19/2017 at 6:32 PM, ChrisK said:

I just attended a summit in Mass in Movember the week before my son was born. Part of the summit was discussing the automated vehicle. This, the day after a beer delivery was made in Colorado. One of the serious problems with automated cars is factoring in the ability for the vehicle to break the law. This is important when deciding whether or not to collide with a pedestrian in the roadway, causing a collision with another vehicle. There is still a lot of work to be done with this and some very serious research to still be done. Remember when one of our car manufacturers was hacked a while back? Imagine the usefulness of smashing automated cars and or trucks carrying hazardous materials or passengers like a coach! 

Chris I agree with you 100%! There will be unknown robot errors that could jeopardize the lives of civilians....and no doubt at all that hackers will do anything in their power to create disasters like you mentioned above. Going to be a nightmare for sure

• Like 1

On 1/19/2017 at 6:32 PM, ChrisK said:

The Human race is very smart but we do have faults. Greed, Jealousy, Envy, just to name a few..... we are naturally destructive to others and other things as well. We are working everyday with experience, technology and new developments however one of our biggest problem is having these emotions. With emotion we will never all be on the same page. So in saying that you can design, build, use anything but with emotion involved it can be ruined just as fast. 

• 3 weeks later...