Moving On Up!

Conductor562

Not heading for the East Side, but I am moving into the current century. 

After suffering through the hellish gauntlet of ISP extortionist who provide substandard internet service to people in rural WV at 4X's the cost of normal service because we have no other option, we're finally able to get DSL ?

To most people this is no big deal, but after several years of paying $140 or so a month for 20 gbs of data that may or may not work right at any particular time of day, this is huge. To be able to use the internet like God intended, actually utilize net based TV features and services, let the kids actually use the internet, and save $100 a month.......that's a pretty huge deal for us.

Which brings me to my question, what do you guys know about Amazon Fire Sticks? Is a jailbroken Fire Stick worth fooling with, or is it a lot of hype for nothing?

• Like 6

First off congrats Travis and second the fire stick Is pretty damn nice bro we've had ours for about a year now and watch all the theater movies some times quality isn't there but can't really complain though either that's stick paid for itself in 2 movies cus I probably spend about $100 bucks for my family of 7 to have a good time at the theaters 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Bigmikez said:

First off congrats Travis and second the fire stick Is pretty damn nice bro we've had ours for about a year now and watch all the theater movies some times quality isn't there but can't really complain though either that's stick paid for itself in 2 movies cus I probably spend about $100 bucks for my family of 7 to have a good time at the theaters 

I second Mike! I just got Direct TV again when we moved for a year but the last two it was Metflix and Amazon Fire Stick only in the house. It is awesome.

• Like 1

So Fire tv has a way to stream current theater releases? Is it like VUDU where you can rent the movies individually, or is it another subscription within the fire tv? Sorry for all the ?'s, I've been a Roku user for a while, so I've never bothered to look into fire tv, since I can access my prime video library from the Roku.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

@CATERPILLAR That's the thing, I don't really live too far out in the country. High speed internet service in WV is pretty archaic. I'm only 1-1/2 from one town and 2 miles from the other. It's in the country, but not BFE or anything. DSL service has always been available up to about a mile out and the people 3 or 4 houses away in either direction have had it as long as we've lived here, but those of us in the middle have been screwed.

@Bigmikez and @ChrisK Do I need a separate Fire Stick for each TV or how does that work? 

• Like 1

Just now, comp56 said:

ok isn't most of this stuff on a smart TV already as of late?

@Conductor562 any time there is a money grab people in power will take advantage....

After we were talking the other night about uploading catalogs I figured I'd try calling Comcast and Frontier again. Still no Comcast service (I'd have rather had them) but Frontier does offer DSL out here now, so I'll take what I can get. 

well seeings that they have the technology for this and 90+% of the population in North America uses the internet pretty much the same as breathing this shit should be damn near free for everyone.....

same with house phones, don't even know why I still have one don't think it rang in 2 years

1 hour ago, Conductor562 said:

@CATERPILLAR That's the thing, I don't really live too far out in the country. High speed internet service in WV is pretty archaic. I'm only 1-1/2 from one town and 2 miles from the other. It's in the country, but not BFE or anything. DSL service has always been available up to about a mile out and the people 3 or 4 houses away in either direction have had it as long as we've lived here, but those of us in the middle have been screwed.

@Bigmikez and @ChrisK Do I need a separate Fire Stick for each TV or how does that work? 

I only have one bro and move it from room to room if needed and it runs off your wifi but u do need a strong wifi or else it will buff a lot, we had to up ours when we first got it

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Logan said:

Dam $140 a month is a lot 

it's awesome now that u have internet 

Yea, and each additional 10 gb block was like $80 or something ridiculous. The month I updated the kids PS4 the internet bill was like $300

58 minutes ago, Conductor562 said:

Are you limited to one per account?

I'm not sure Travis. I can tell you that each of our sticks have an associate account and for me to use Samantha's I would have to reset the stick. Based on that I would assume so but I don't know if there's a back door around it. I have had a fire stick since they first came out and got mine discounted because I pre bought early. The second one was full price. I imagine you could buy a couple under the same account?

The new Roku stick for 39 bucks is the highest rated one I have seen. I got one during Christmas and it is great. It works much better than using the smart TV as a streaming device for some reason. I believe you can use more than one on any account. I have Amazon prime video and Netflix here at home. Check out "Goliath" on Amazon if you haven't already. Billy Bob is great.

• Like 1

I only have one bro and move it from room to room if needed and it runs off your wifi but u do need a strong wifi or else it will buff a lot, we had to up ours when we first got it

I have 4 Roku's in the house. On stick(1st gen) a 2,3, and a 4. 3, and 4 are on Ethernet, and the stick and 2 are on wifi. We definitely had to step up our wifi in the house

The new Roku stick for 39 bucks is the highest rated one I have seen. I got one during Christmas and it is great. It works much better than using the smart TV as a streaming device for some reason. I believe you can use more than one on any account. I have Amazon prime video and Netflix here at home. Check out "Goliath" on Amazon if you haven't already. Billy Bob is great.

I agree on the smart tv thing. I have a Roku on two different smart TV's because of the interface and the latency (in my case) even on a hardwire connection.

i'm still running a HTPC on my main big TV in livingroom, I have the box hidden in the rafters in the basement and all wires are hidden through the floor wall it acts as a server from the other computers in the house so if I download anything it is all stored on that machine sit down flip source on TV and bingo watch what I want.

• Like 2

Well, they sent the guy out and he, quite unfortunately, says our box isn't set up yet  so we are unable to get DSL ?

Im crushed. He did say it is in the works and thinks it will be available within 6 months. 

I feel like my dog just died ?

• Like 1

i'm still running a HTPC on my main big TV in livingroom, I have the box hidden in the rafters in the basement and all wires are hidden through the floor wall it acts as a server from the other computers in the house so if I download anything it is all stored on that machine sit down flip source on TV and bingo watch what I want.

I've been wanting to build an HTPC for years! My buddy Chris would be pissed though, seeing as he wants me to build a better gaming PC first. I don't make enough time to watch tv, so I'll probably build the gaming pc first. My little Alienware is struggling!
Here's the pc we built for his wife earlier this year. 8f5501faae9b0faa273a6afacf2b6021.jpg8629b9d0249427f8320067786e000aa1.jpg Chris got her a closed loop liquid CPU cooler.

His and hers 63f1b27526d663127b549dee7d171a99.jpg