No more 20V specific batteries only 20V/60V combo?

DPSElias

So I forget where I read/heard this but is it true? Is Dewalt completely converting to the 20V/60V and no longer producing the smaller single voltage pack in anything above 5ah?

I don't see why they would make an exclusively 20v pack with more than 5.0ah. It's just double production.

1 minute ago, RickyMcGrath said:

I don't see why they would make an exclusively 20v pack with more than 5.0ah. It's just double production.

I can understand that, but I was a little depressed when I saw the size difference didn't realize how much bigger the 20V/60V batteries were.  

53 minutes ago, DPSElias said:

So I forget where I read/heard this but is it true? Is Dewalt completely converting to the 20V/60V and no longer producing the smaller single voltage pack in anything above 5ah?

There has been 6ah 20v batteries revealed. Not sure of release dates yet

I see(or rather hope to see) DeWalt transitioning to more 20700 cell in new packs, with the 6ah and the 9/3ah Flex using them, a 3ah slim pack becomes a real possibility. Wishful thinking?  Had a rather good discussion over on Stuart's forum about this possibility.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Grumpy MSG said:

Some web sites like Toolbarn and even Lowe's is starting to list the DCB206-2 6Ah 2 pack of batteries (not in stock). So I am pretty sure they are going to happen.

Acme Tools also has the 20V 6.0 and the 60V 9.0 on there website.

I tend to use the compact 2.0 packs on most of my tools anyway. I do use the higher capacity batteries on bigger tools or higher draw tools like my SDS, recip saw, and big hammer drill (also when I eventually get the cordless miter) so I would rather get a 9.0 60V battery for those instead of the 6.0 20V. Just my $.02

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, JimboS1ice said:

Showed up in some lowes already

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Awesome! I sold my 4.0 and 6.0 packs so have been waiting for the 20700 packs lol all I have for the yellow stuff are compacts at the moment. Luckily the red side can cover the gaps. 

• Like 2

Ok, glad to see they are still increasing ah, but will we see a 9aH 20V only battery or will they stop at 6?

I'm sure everyone is aware but the 20/60V 9ah packs are not 9ah for 60V as they are 1/3 of this at 3ah. I feel Dewalt is playing a little marketing games for these batteries as some people unknowingly might think these are 6ah or 9ah for 60V tools when they are really 2ah and 3ah. From what I see with reviews the 60v Circular Saw is doing a great job with low amp hour batteries and think once they get 60V @ 9ah batteries these tools might really be incredible. 

I might buy into the red line to fill in some of these gaps.

1 minute ago, Bremon said:

It's all about watt hours in the grand scheme of things and I would bet the farm that there won't be a 20v Max only 9.0. FlexVolt 3.0/9.0 IS the 9.0. It's the pack that will square up against Milwaukee's HD9.0

How is the size of the Milwuakee 9ah vs Flexvolt 9ah vs a "normal" 5ah battery?

I really can't see dewalt making a 20V 9.0 AND a 3.0/9.0 60V when the 60V can be used with 20V tools. Thats two different batterries that Dewalt would have to manufacture. 6.0 is most likely the max 20V they will make IMO.

Even though they made a 6.0 20v lol

Currently DeWalt deems 2.5ah to be the largest capacity 18650 cell they will use, 20700 cells offer significant improvements, so much so that Panasonic/Sanyo and Elon Musk are investing BILLIONS in this form factor.  So its not science fiction to think that 4ah or even 5ah cells can become a very real thing.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, JimboS1ice said:

Even though they made a 6.0 20v lol

true. and then with the 20V 9.0 that would be 4 batteries in total 6.0 and 9.0 20V and the 2.0/6.0 and 3.0/9.0 60V.  They should probably just stick with the 60V options. They give 20V tools more power then with a 20V pack, right?