Metal Cutting Bandsaw: Help Me Decide

Conductor562

So, I've got around $300 to spend and I think I'm finally gonna invest in a metal cutting bandsaw. I'd like a porta-band, but I think I'm gonna start out with a floor model. $300 isn't going to get me many bells and whistles, but for what I do, I don't need many. 

I'm considering 2 models which are as follows:

Grizzly G0622 @ $299 + $79 shipping (Total $378)

IMG_6811.JPG

or

Eastwood 20650 @ $319 + $62 shipping (-$30 Off bringing the total to $351)

IMG_6810.JPG

I thought these were the exact same saw with different paint, but after reading a little further into it, that may not be the case.

The Eastwood is listed as a 1hp 3 speed (80, 120, and 200 FPM). 4x6" rectangle or 4.5" round cut capacity, and angles up to 55 degrees. 

The Grizzly is listed at only 3/4hp, also a 3 speed but with a negligible speed difference @ 78, 108, and 180 FPM. Grizzly also lists an angle capacity to 60 degrees, but aside from that, capacity is identical. 

Looking at the 2 saws there is no doubt in my mind they come from the same factory in China. The price difference isn't an issue, cutting capacity is almost identical, both use a 64-1/2" x 1/2" blade, etc, etc, etc. 

I have used both companies multiple times before and have no reservations about either of them. I prefer the look of the Eastwood saw, it's almost $30 cheaper, and does appear to have an extra 1/4hp, but I really have no reservations that either saw will be insufficient.

Take a look at them and let me know what you guys think. Maybe you guys see something that I don't.

• Like 2

I have used several bandsaws in both portable an stationary. I however have no expierence in either models shown. One was very similar to those shown but not exact. I still probably wouldn't give either one a chance.  

For my use I would stick with a porta band. Millwakee has a very good deep cut model. It's got a 5x5" capacity. When you really need to you can rotate around workpiece for more capacity but sacrifice precision. The portable bandsaw in general won't give you 100% accuracy. It will however get pretty close. For what people do in there garage with a little practice it works fine. 

With the ones shown an even cheap stationary models I've noticed blade tracking an tension are usually a issue. When that happens your portable bandsaw will be more precise.

You can also get small tables made to fit your portable bandsaw turning it into a benchtop model. There's also templates on the internet for making your own tables an jigs. 

I know a lot of that wasn't what you were looking for. I just would really recommend giving it some thought. As always it depends on your exact needs so I could be wrong on what's best. 

• Like 1

@Fletcher94: Thanks for the feedback. I've seen several instances where people had to replace the blade tracking bearings after awhile. This isn't going to be a daily or even weekly use item for me. There is a fancier model in the $600 range from Grizzly (G9742), but it's basically an upgraded version of the same saw with the same motor and basic components.  To get into the next tier, with a better motor, auto coolant system, etc, I'd be up around $1000 and seeing how I'll use it probably once a month on average, it isn't really worth the extra money.

I initially wanted to go the portable route, but most of the stands I looked at were going to make that the significantly more expensive route to go. Milwaukee has a very nice stand, but it's $300 by itself. I have every intention of having both by years end, so this is just a starting point.

Accuracy was the biggest factor in my decision. Cutting metal isn't an issue for me. I have a plasma cutter, chop saw, and several recip saws, but doing it with a higher degree of precision is my whole reason for getting a bandsaw. 

• Like 1

My experience has been that dry cut chop saws are more precise than cheap bandsaws for the price not to mention so much lower maintenance.  Probably not what you wanted to hear though.

Ive used an old grizzly which I think was the same you posted and it gave me no end of trouble. Lousy accuracy when it did work but that could just be age.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, JimboS1ice said:

Grizzly appears to have an additional adjustment handle on the front of it, I'm more familiar with grizzly tools

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Where do you see an additional adjustment?

3 minutes ago, JimboS1ice said:

Looks like the Eastwood has it to,taking a closer look, angle is different throws the perspective off

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Damnit man! 10 minutes I spent looking for an extra knob! ?

On 12/28/2016 at 11:21 AM, Conductor562 said:

@Fletcher94: Thanks for the feedback. I've seen several instances where people had to replace the blade tracking bearings after awhile. This isn't going to be a daily or even weekly use item for me. There is a fancier model in the $600 range from Grizzly (G9742), but it's basically an upgraded version of the same saw with the same motor and basic components.  To get into the next tier, with a better motor, auto coolant system, etc, I'd be up around $1000 and seeing how I'll use it probably once a month on average, it isn't really worth the extra money.

I initially wanted to go the portable route, but most of the stands I looked at were going to make that the significantly more expensive route to go. Milwaukee has a very nice stand, but it's $300 by itself. I have every intention of having both by years end, so this is just a starting point.

Accuracy was the biggest factor in my decision. Cutting metal isn't an issue for me. I have a plasma cutter, chop saw, and several recip saws, but doing it with a higher degree of precision is my whole reason for getting a bandsaw. 

If your just using once a month your right, either would do. 

Yeh the stands aren't cheap. My co worker has one from swag off road. Not sure what it costs but it's not complicated to make. I keep saying I am gonna make my own for my trucks receiver. Like many other things it's still just a idea in my head.

youle have to let us know the one you choose. 

A good quality portable bandsaw would meet your price point. I doubt you could go wrong with a Milwaukee, DeWALT or even an older used Porter-Cable Portaband.I know that Porter-Cable and I think Milwaukee had some vice attachments available, I don't know about DeWALT. Fletcher94 mentioned Swag Offroad's stands they do make a few versions that fit various models of saws and the the more expensive ones are around $125.

• Like 1

On 1/2/2017 at 2:55 AM, Conductor562 said:

LOL, no. I may just wait and get a better saw when funds permit ?

That sounds like an excellent idea to me. I had one of the original no name knock-offs that was the spitting image of these. Gave it to my brother years ago, and he still has it around somewhere, but he keeps threatening to scrap it. The base had a severe case of wobbles (bit like a weeble, only I doubt it would stand back up on its own), and had to be reinforced with a piece of ply in the shelf area. The wheels were like the ones on the Grizzly and nearly useless. Too much flex in the mounts and the legs kept catching on the floor when trying to move it around. Combined with the flex in the stand, it was unnerving, and aggravating, to shift it around when needed. There were also issues with the blade tracking at times,the clamp not maintaining good pressure, and finicky/cumbersome adjustment to get it close to a square cut the first time, etc.. I bought it as a stop gap for a custom project where I had to manufacture all of the metal trim/hardware on a large furniture grade office trim-out. It got me through it, but it probably cost me as much in time as the price of a better saw over the time I did keep it.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Grizzly has a new model out. Similar in spec to the cheaper one, but this one runs about $100 more and is made in Taiwan instead of China.

Being tax time and all, I may give this one a shot. It isn't in stock yet, but I don't need it immediately either.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/5-x-6-Variable-Speed-Metal-Cutting-Bandsaw/G0830?utm_campaign=zPage&utm_source=grizzly.com

What do you guys think?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Conductor562 said:

Grizzly has a new model out. Similar in spec to the cheaper one, but this one runs about $100 more and is made in Taiwan instead of China.

Being tax time and all, I may give this one a shot. It isn't in stock yet, but I don't need it immediately either.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/5-x-6-Variable-Speed-Metal-Cutting-Bandsaw/G0830?utm_campaign=zPage&utm_source=grizzly.com

What do you guys think?

pretty nice saw man love the stand . I wish I could give more feedback but I just have used big ones and I haven't used anything grizzly. But I do think lenox blades are really nice thats what we use at the high school and it would be cool if u used it more to have a liquid cutting fluid system on it . it really saves the blade 

9 hours ago, Conductor562 said:

What do you guys think?

Looks like a capable unit but I have to jump on the portaband w/table (even a DIY cheaper option) for price. If you're going to end up with both down the road I'd just do one and get more out of it (I know, I know, not what you expect from the crew lol). I've never read a single complaint about the M18 Fuel model, and the Dewalt looks to be a carbon copy in new casing. I'm personally going to go with the Fuel at some point later this year. 

• Like 1

@Bremon I get the logic, but probably 90% of the cuts I'd make with a potraband are cuts I'd be better off making with a stationary saw. Not to mention that this unit is roughly the same price as the Fuel saw kit price and even if I went the bare tool route, I'd still have more in it by the time I bought the stand. I'd end up paying more money for portability I didn't need and have less capacity to boot.

@CATERPILLAR lube is a must, but to get an auto unit you have to be up in the $1000 range. I'll just have do it manually.

• Like 2

I have a Jet that I bought about 6 years ago and it does a great job. However I bought a Fein metal cutting saw a few months ago and the band-saw has not been plugged in since. Far superior cut on the Fein.

I plan to keep the band-saw in the corner for a while in case I figure out something I cant cut on the Fein as far as capacity but I might end up getting rid of it.