Home shop.

SetBuilder

My home shop...  My main home shop is set up under a carport as my garage is very small, so its mainly used for storage.  When I was looking to buy a table saw I got pretty lucky. A local dealer had a brand new in the box Jet, buried at the back of his storage since 2007. He sold it to me for 1700.00 in 2014. I think it was a pretty good deal.

I scored on the big miter saw rack. I found it listed on CL for 500, but it was listed weird as it just said "Big saw rack" . I offered him 350 and he came back with 400. I showed up the next day with a trailer and he had his guys bringing it out with the Dewalt saw on it. I thought I was only buying the rack. I wasn't concerned about the saw as I already had a 12in Dewalt slider on a mobile base. There is a 6in powermatic jointer and bench dog router table covered in there somewhere.  Then I have a lot of stuff in my box at work as I work in a shop.

IMG_4203.JPG

IMG_4204.JPG

IMG_0065.JPG

IMG_0062.JPG

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Jronman said:

nice shop. How does the wood fair when being in the carport? does it keep well? Looks like you did a good job at enclosing the carport.

The previous owner built the car port and had his shop under there.  I'm in Los Angeles so we don't get too much rain. Mainly only in Dec and Jan, the sun is out the next day and everything dries out.  Otherwise its very dry here storing wood is not an issue. In the top pic there is sheet of 1in MDF under the tarp on the work bench and it has never swelled. 

The squared wood was for fence panels. I put the sections together with all dowels.

IMG_2854.JPG

IMG_2856-1.JPG

IMG_2909.JPG

IMG_2935-1.JPG

That looks amazing. Goes to show, a fancy shop doesn't make a good builder. Nice use of the space you have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, tcoscarelli said:

That looks amazing. Goes to show, a fancy shop doesn't make a good builder. Nice use of the space you have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you, unfortunately I'm not happy with the way it weathered. I used Penofin to seal it, but since I'm in CA most paints and stains suck and do not last. 

I learned each state has regulations on paints, stains, chemicals etc. So manufacturers use a different formula depending on which state the shipment is going to.  Unfortunately I did not learn that till its too late. I should have driven to AZ to pick up the stain.

On 1/3/2017 at 10:24 AM, Nordraw said:

You have any pictures of how it weathered? Looks nice as it is that's for sure nice job.

I'll snap some pics in a few days. Work picked up again and I usually leave in the dark and don't get home until after dark.

I'd kill to be able to have a semi-outdoor set up like that, but they call it the "Rust Belt" for a reason. Hot, humid summers, cold ass winters, rainy springs.....it's great for growing rust and pot, but terrible for my tools ?

• Like 1

California has some rough penalties if you get caught using finishes that are not on the approved list. I once helped my brother work on a project in SoCal, and found out after the fact that if I had been caught using a non permitted spray rig and approved finish material, that I would have been held liable for up to two thousand in fines per day for that particular project. Suppliers of finish materials have some real limitations hung on their shoulders in that state.