SBD buys Craftsman from Sears

DR99

Maybe, just maybe, Craftsman Hand Tools, will be made in the USA again, with American Steel.. Well, one can wish, has my first set of wrenches, were American Made Craftsman, given to me by my brother. 

It is a nice dream and I wish it would happen too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, Jronman said:

I'd like sbd to keep the ope market that craftsman is *cough* was *cough* known for and bring it back to the quality it was known for. They should discontinue their handtool market or at least move it to b&d or Stanley. 

Hand tool or power tool?

5 hours ago, Stercorarius said:

Hand tool or power tool?

both. I think craftsman should stick with ope and only ope. Really the big ope and gas/diesel ope are the only items sb&d or the companies it owns don't have that I can think of. sb&d already has plenty of power/hand tool brands. they don't need any more. That could potentially be 7 different sb&d companies that sell drills for example (b&d, stanley, bostich, porter cable, dewalt, mac, and craftsman have sold or currently sell at least one cordless drill). sb&d has dewalt for cordless pro ope and b&d for cordless home owner ope. Craftsman could be sb&d's bigger ope and the gas/diesel ope. Also the Dewalt generators could move to Craftsman. All the hand/power tools craftsman sells already has a sb&d owned company that sell the same kind of tool or similar kind of tool. 

35 minutes ago, Jronman said:

both. I think craftsman should stick with ope and only ope. Really the big ope and gas/diesel ope are the only items sb&d or the companies it owns don't have that I can think of. sb&d already has plenty of power/hand tool brands. they don't need any more. That could potentially be 7 different sb&d companies that sell drills for example (b&d, stanley, bostich, porter cable, dewalt, mac, and craftsman have sold or currently sell at least one cordless drill). sb&d has dewalt for cordless pro ope and b&d for cordless home owner ope. Craftsman could be sb&d's bigger ope and the gas/diesel ope. Also the Dewalt generators could move to Craftsman. All the hand/power tools craftsman sells already has a sb&d owned company that sell the same kind of tool or similar kind of tool. 

I get your logic, but there is a -500% chance of that happening. Hand tools are just too big a part of the Craftsman brand to simply do away with.

• Like 4

18 hours ago, Jronman said:

I'd like sbd to keep the ope market that craftsman is *cough* was *cough* known for and bring it back to the quality it was known for. They should discontinue their handtool market or at least move it to b&d or Stanley. 

I think that would be a stupid move a lot of people know the craftsman brand and besides their other stuff isn't that great cordless stuff is a joke I have used ???

I know craftsman's reputation has slipped some along with there share of the market, but it still has a ton of notoriety. A lot of people still believe in the name and I believe it can be brought back to where it once was. They need to focus on making quality tools and not try to compete with companies like Harbor Freight that make inferior products. There are still a lot of people that like a quality tool over a cheep one with a lifetime warranty.

I know craftsman's reputation has slipped some along with there share of the market, but it still has a ton of notoriety. A lot of people still believe in the name and I believe it can be brought back to where it once was. They need to focus on making quality tools and not try to compete with companies like Harbor Freight that make inferior products. There are still a lot of people that like a quality tool over a cheep one with a lifetime warranty.

I had a late 90's to early 2000's craftsman mower and trimmer and they were good little machines. They lasted probably 12 years. I had a craftsman trimmer from early to mid 2010's that was a piece of junk and it stopped working after 2 years of light use. 

13 hours ago, Jronman said:

I had a late 90's to early 2000's craftsman mower and trimmer and they were good little machines. They lasted probably 12 years. I had a craftsman trimmer from early to mid 2010's that was a piece of junk and it stopped working after 2 years of light use. 

I wonder if the outdoor power equipment has anything to do with the deal?Because the only thing Craftsman when it comes to there outdoor power equipment is the decals.That stuff was all built by MTD,AYP,Murry,etc at one time a few years back Stanley had a lawn tractor with there name on it.But it was a Murry and that was after Murry pulled out of the USA and went to China.

On 1/12/2017 at 0:17 AM, jdlx277 said:

I wonder if the outdoor power equipment has anything to do with the deal?Because the only thing Craftsman when it comes to there outdoor power equipment is the decals.That stuff was all built by MTD,AYP,Murry,etc at one time a few years back Stanley had a lawn tractor with there name on it.But it was a Murry and that was after Murry pulled out of the USA and went to China.

I'd say OPE has a great deal to do with it. IIRC in the info that was floating around they listed it as 25% of annual sales. 

• Like 1