M18 battery on 18V Ridgid Router?

SetBuilder

I can build a house, do the plumbing in it, restore a car and rebuild the engine. But for some reason I know little to nothing about electricity / electronics. Maybe its because I was electrocuted a few times as a kid and wanted no part of that :)  If I can build an adapter plate is there any reason an M18 battery can't power the Ridgid 18v Router, it seems simple enough. What am I missing?

It may void your warranty even if there is no modification to the battery because the battery is supposed to have electronics in it. Otherwise, I'm pretty sure there's a fair bit of modification you'll have to do to make it physically fit. Then you have to hope the pins are the same.

in regards to the red link the battery and tool have chips in them, thats where they "communicate" pre say, i want to say Makita has all the electronics in the tool, dewalt may have them all in the battery, not sure how ridgid is set up but wouldn't surprise me if its similar to Milwaukee, same blood lines just the orange step child

all you would need is an adapter like dewalt has for using 20v on 18v. Shouldn't void warranty because you don't modify either the battery or tool. Would probably need a chip inside the adapter to ensure battery works correctly with the tool.

On 2/26/2017 at 5:30 PM, JimboS1ice said:

in regards to the red link the battery and tool have chips in them, thats where they "communicate" pre say, i want to say Makita has all the electronics in the tool, dewalt may have them all in the battery, not sure how ridgid is set up but wouldn't surprise me if its similar to Milwaukee, same blood lines just the orange step child

Almost zero electronics in a 20v DeWalt battery, there are only the fuel gauge and a temp sensor.  Ridgid/Ryobi batteries have lots-o-tronics and while clearly different form factors of their boards the electo components are identical.

• Like 1

I bought this hose kit at HD about 3 years ago. It was a total piece of crap. Its just a poor design where debris catches on the ends and it constantly clogs. I got fed up with it and it was just hanging in my shop. Last weekend I took it back to  HD and they gave me store credit, no questions asked. 

http://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-1-7-8-in-x-10-ft-Pro-Grade-Vacuum-Hose-Kit-for-RIDGID-Wet-Dry-Vacs-VT2570/100375877

• Like 1

19 hours ago, SetBuilder said:

I bought this hose kit at HD about 3 years ago. It was a total piece of crap. Its just a poor design where debris catches on the ends and it constantly clogs. I got fed up with it and it was just hanging in my shop. Last weekend I took it back to  HD and they gave me store credit, no questions asked. 

http://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-1-7-8-in-x-10-ft-Pro-Grade-Vacuum-Hose-Kit-for-RIDGID-Wet-Dry-Vacs-VT2570/100375877

hmmm Ive been using 1 a couple months and no problems, usually hooked to a sander but on the occasion of larger debris I've never had a clog,

its also paired with a HEPA filter and a muffler as well

3 hours ago, JimboS1ice said:

hmmm Ive been using 1 a couple months and no problems, usually hooked to a sander but on the occasion of larger debris I've never had a clog,

its also paired with a HEPA filter and a muffler as well

My shop is in a car port so leaves always blow in. They constantly clog that hose, where as the stock one never clogged for me. Even in a lot of the reviews people complained about it clogging. Its the way the ends go on compared to the stock hose.