6507 Sawzall doesn't work, No serial # ! Switch, brushes ?

DwTedII

The serial # has long gone been worn off !

I have this OLD Milwaukee 6507 Sawzall that stopped working ! I had it  plugged into an extension cord it simply quit !

I did then plug it directly into an outlet ..nothing !

It doesn't make any noises when you play with the cord and/or the trigger !

What I did on the job site in order to narrow down the problem and make sure it's NOT the cord itself, it was undone  then I took 3 small nails and put them into the holes , then plugged it into a GFI outlet and see if  had power at those nails !  I had a KLEIN current tool and at one nail it went red, saying that I do have power going through the cord !

So the next question IS, it is the brushes, I pulled both out, they were clean, but they are only about 3/16 of an inch !

So it begs the question, how little will these 6507 work with ?

OR...is it the switch ? I would think if it was the switch, there would be some sort of intermittent thing going on when work it ?

Not just dead ! ?

So what can I do to figure out EXACTLY what the problem is ?

Many thanks, Ted 

Hard to tell without opening it up but my guess is the switch. You can simply test by checking resistance as you have the trigger open then close it. I assume it's sealed but you might be able to clean the contacts with contact cleaner or WD40. 

If its not the switch, it's probably a transistor blown open. Generally they pot the electronics so you'd have to change the whole board.

Now I don't fix tools professionally but luckily we have @CATERPILLAR who does! I'd like to hear his opinion as well.

2 hours ago, DwTedII said:

So your saying after I undo the plug and try to figure out witch 2 prongs are the correct ones, I should be able to put my meter across the prongs and move the switch to check and see if the resistance changes ? So the big deal is figure out what 2 prongs ?

THANKS Ted !

Yes. Normally there are two prongs that are shorted together and the opposite is also shorted together. There is a third kind that has an uneven number of legs, you'd want to test all combinations. If there's a major problem with it would show as open and no change when you squeeze the trigger.

So I fixed it ..........I took it apart to see what I could see. Then I plugged the cord into the body....played with the 2 speed switch and hit the trigger and got it to run ! So I put it back together and of course it DIDN'T run ! Scratched my head and to the cord off the body and took my box cutter blade and spread those pins open just a little, plugged cord back on body and then outlet......then I hit the trigger it RUNS...it both gears ! By taking the handle apart, the cord just fit a little better , than I was able to figure out what the problem really was !!

• Like 1