Scroll Saws?

Conductor562

We talk a lot about tools here. We've shared lots of shop pics, tool purchases, wants, needs, and desires, but scroll saws very rarely come up.

In the days of consumer level CNC's I suppose the scroll saw isn't a staple item like it once was, but I still have to believe there are scroll saws among us.

I've considered getting one. We had one when I was growing up that always seemed to find it's use, but it's one of those tools I've managed to get by without.

Anybody have one? Post em if you got em!

I almost picked up a Skil that was on clearance at Lowe's last year but passed it up.  Heck, I rarely even use my jigsaw.

I picked that scroll Saw up, I don't use it much it definitely takes some patience.

Make sure you get a scroll that's a little higher end putting it bluntly the skill sucks, it vibrates and eventually the blade will pop, extremely hard to get a good tension on it so drop a few bills and get a delta or a dewalt they have a better mechanism.

Wigwag is a scroller he hooked me up with a bunch of patterns and e-books shoot him a PM I'm sure he can share some great insight. If you have any other question Conductor just hit me up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We're on the same page Jimbo. I decided quickly I didn't want one the the chintzy saws available in 20 colors. I've been eyeing the Delta 40-695 and the Dewalt 788. Both seem to be well received and I'm sure either would meet my needs.

Then I found this Porter Cable:

IMG_8230.thumb.JPG.6873c9cccfffd66c251d0f555b72bfc6.JPG

It gets decent reviews. Not glowing by any means, but seems to fall squarely in the mid range. At half the price of the other 2, and seeing how I'm not going to ever be a serious user, it is tempting.  

• Like 1

We're on the same page Jimbo. I decided quickly I didn't want one the the chintzy saws available in 20 colors. I've been eyeing the Delta 40-695 and the Dewalt 788. Both seem to be well received and I'm sure either would meet my needs.

Then I found this Porter Cable:

IMG_8230.thumb.JPG.6873c9cccfffd66c251d0f555b72bfc6.JPG

It gets decent reviews. Not glowing by any means, but seems to fall squarely in the mid range. At half the price of the other 2, and seeing how I'm not going to ever be a serious user, it is tempting.  

Looks very similar to the dewalt and doesn't share the shit mechanisms of the budget brands worse comes to worse box it up and take it back, on the plus side it's the only Saw that comes with a stand

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mulled it around and watched a bunch of videos. I came to the conclusion that I would be happy with either one. One feature I liked better about the Delta was the ability to lock the upper arm when changing blades or threading a workpiece. However, I liked the general setup of the Dewalt and when it was all said and done, I went with the 788. There are a couple of aftermarket kits available for the Dewalt to add a locking feature, so I'll go ahead and pick one of those up too. 

IMG_8231.thumb.JPG.e1aaa3dbfb716bd460db95af3189616e.JPG

Ordered it from Sears and with my SYW points, I got the saw and the stand for around $425. The PC was tempting, but I figured I'd just pay up for the one I wanted. By the time I buy the light, the locking kit, and a nice assortment of blades, I'll be $500 into it. If I don't like it or use it, the resale seems to be pretty good on them.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I suspected Dewalt wasn't actually making these scroll saws, so I did a little digging and found out they're actually made by a well respected Canadian company called Sommerville Design & Manufacturing (now part of General International) who also makes the Excalibur saws. That's good news I suppose. 

Today I ordered the work light and the Jim Dandy lift system for it.

IMG_8233.JPG.5dbee51ca5e83b1d0c295893bf36c7cd.JPG

I considered The Lifter, but decided on the spring assisted Jim Dandy because of the ease of operation.

Now I get to shop for a nice assortment of blades, and there are plenty to choose from.

18 minutes ago, Jronman said:

so what are the advantages of a scroll saw vs a bandsaw or jigsaw?

The primary advantage vs a bandsaw are the tight turn radius and the ability to thread the blade through the workpiece for for fully enclosed cuts. Much greater detail can be achieved. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...