Wera or Felo?

Jronman

So I am finally interested in getting a quality bit set. I'm interested in something a little more than what my Flextorq set offers. I haven't had any complaints with my Flextorq set except it is missing a few bits that I occasionally use like Pozidriv and small sizes of flathead/strait/standard/or whatever it is called. A few screws used in Pella windows are Pozidriv and the Festool router guide rail kit uses them. I sometimes find the need for smaller flat head bits for older house hardware and whatnot.

I have seen guys like both Wera and Felo on the forum so whats the pros/cons of each. I'm sure both brands are great.

4 hours ago, Jronman said:

@BMack37 How do the Felo bits fair in an impact driver? I noticed they weren't "impact rated". 

I haven't used them in an impact driver. I mostly use my Bosch bits because I already had them. Felo has driving and impact rated bits. Felo, I believe, is the only brand making impact bits in Germany. If you buy one from KC Tool and it breaks, it can be replaced under warranty. Normal wear on bits is not covered...that's how good the bits are.

16 hours ago, Jronman said:

I couldn't find impact Felo bits but I found Impact Wera bits.

Where are you looking? The Felo bits with the yellow band are impact rated as are the "torsion" bits that have parallel ribs on the shaft.

icogee4.jpg

2BKXx9f.jpg

Edit: Here's KC Tools' selection: https://www.kctoolco.com/search.php?search_query=impact+&section=product&_bc_fsnf=1&brand=39

2 hours ago, Jronman said:

I was looking at Felo's website. It's not a big deal if they are impact. I can just use my Flextorq kit for impact stuff.

I love Felo's industrial line of bits. I've found Wiha and Wera to last a long time too but Felo feels more stout.

I'm with you for now, I have no reason to upgrade my impact bits...I end up finding clearance bits at the big box stores and by the time those are wearing out I find another deal. The European bits are damn expensive so I use them in my non-impact driving, which is daily(as opposed to impact which is much less often) and they last a long time before getting buggered up, the big box store bits were not holding up.

Because I do electronics repair, most of my screw driving is done with a low clutch setting and sometimes I cam out on purpose to not strip the self tapping plastic screws(Metal screws into plastic) or tiny machine screws.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Part of my job as a mechanic is I inspect brand new busses right off the line. Often i find bits that were left on the bus. The big three brands i found were Wera, vega and apex. I dont have any felo bits but what i do know is that those three bits are the best on the market. They dont twist or round off, they just break off when their expected life is up. Either way you are making a good bit purchase.

On 9/16/2017 at 8:37 PM, Jronman said:

So I am finally interested in getting a quality bit set. I'm interested in something a little more than what my Flextorq set offers. I haven't had any complaints with my Flextorq set except it is missing a few bits that I occasionally use like Pozidriv and small sizes of flathead/strait/standard/or whatever it is called. A few screws used in Pella windows are Pozidriv and the Festool router guide rail kit uses them. I sometimes find the need for smaller flat head bits for older house hardware and whatnot.

I have seen guys like both Wera and Felo on the forum so whats the pros/cons of each. I'm sure both brands are great.

I have used tons of different bits and buy impact bits mostly because they look really cool. The only application that I find bits really needing the torsion designs is in metal to metal fasatening or metal to wood with high powered impact drivers. Apex, Zephyr, qualtool, wera, wiha, felo, bondhus, vega, Montana, etc.. all make excellent bits. In fact, the new Milwaukee impact bits, Flextorq, makita gold and Bosch new impact design have proven to be as tough as the industrial brands. Some are harder and more prone to shatter and some softer and more prone to deform upon failure. For the industrial brands, I would look at Wiha bit selectors or even the bulk bits of specific drive types.

https://www.wihatools.com/bits/bit-sets/slotted-phillips-torxr-hex-bit-xlselector-31-piece-set-11801

Wiha has frequent sales and Amazon pricing fluctuates and sometimes can be about half price. Wiha makes all sorts of bit styles like torsion designs, titanium coatings, diamond coatings, carbide coatings, stainless steel, and high torque impact torsion designs. Apex makes 3 different hardnesses and Wera has a selection like Wiha but is harder to find in the U.S.

• 4 years later...
On 9/18/2017 at 2:19 AM, BMack37 said:

I haven't used them in an impact driver. I mostly use my Bosch bits because I already had them. Felo has driving and impact rated bits. Felo, I believe, is the only brand making impact bits in Germany. If you buy one from KC Tool and it breaks, it can be replaced under warranty. Normal wear on bits is not covered...that's how good the bits are.

Athlet is another brand makes Impact screwdriver bits in Germany.

Athlet Impact Screwdriver Bits.jpg