OMT outlet box cutter

Logan

Found this the other day and thought it was cool I've never seen it before thought I would share it with you guys

https://www.amazon.com/Qbit-SQ1000-S-Oscillating-Multi-Tool-Single/dp/B01GKKE2W0/ref=sr_1_sc_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1506374734&sr=8-1-spell&keywords=omt+outlet+cutter

omt.jpg

Another unnecessary tool that will mostly be bought by guys that have little to no real use for it, but just have to have stuff.

Lath and plaster will eat that $45 thing alive, like any standard oscillating blade. Carbide grit, for the win.

You better be dang sure that there's no stud or fire block there before committing to such a hole.

Using the term technician in the video is enough to make me not buy it.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
drywall is easy enough to cut.
i wonder how it would do on plaster?

I’ve not tried them on plaster, but I imagine it wouldn’t work well. Likely very slow and may dull the blade. I am exclusively commercial/industrial so plaster is very uncommon.

I really wish they would offer an alternative fitment instead of the proprietary DeWalt connection. It works, but I have to turn it sideways on my Bosch OMT. It will not work with some newer OMT models.

You better be dang sure that there's no stud or fire block there before committing to such a hole.

Wouldn’t that apply to any method of cutting? And what professional cuts without first scanning and knowing exactly what’s behind the wall?

Using the term technician in the video is enough to make me not buy it.

What is wrong with the term technician? It seems a common nomenclature for LV/datacomm electricians, for whom this tool is primarily designed.

On 2/7/2018 at 12:43 AM, isaiahb85 said:

Wouldn’t that apply to any method of cutting? And what professional cuts without first scanning and knowing exactly what’s behind the wall?

What is wrong with the term technician? It seems a common nomenclature for LV/datacomm electricians, for whom this tool is primarily designed.

I'm a technician and having worked behind a lot of other technicians, that term is rather loose and is often applied to people who are being paid to do jobs they aren't qualified for...but hell, I've met "Field Engineers" that didn't know what an oscilloscope was

There is another one I seen that goes on a drill I believe.
I don't see anything wrong with outlet cutters. If it makes an electricians job more efficient then why not right? 

They are mostly for LV cut in rings and what not. They are a little to big for a standard cut in device box.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk