Need suggestions - Best drill bits for concrete with rebar

rdst_1

Hi guys,

So I know that most of you don't have to deal with concrete but this was the only place I could ask for recommendations.

I need to drill holes in some quite tough concrete reinforced with rebar. I was in for a surprise when my hammer drill with normal masonry bits got me nowhere. So ordered a nice Bosch Rotary Hammer but now need to buy some good quality bits. I might try and get my hands on Hilti TE-CX bits which sound great but I have no idea and I would rather buy ones which come recommended from guys who have actually used them in the field.

Also, if you could recommend some dry core bits which can go through rebar and can be used with a normal rotary hammer ( I know that they should only be used in the rotation only mode) instead of a coring drill it would be great. I would need to drill 3-4 inch holes in 4-5"' thick rebar concrete.

I only use Hilti and spend a great deal of my time drilling concrete.
Don’t waste your time with anything other than the TE-CX. The carbide tip is perfect for chewing rebar. The only thing that will ruin your bit is applying too much pressure while drilling the rebar. If the blades blue or burn, you won’t get warranty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Try using rebar cutters https://www.boschtools.com/us/en/boschtools-ocs/rebar-cutters-22558-c/

I'm drill concrete with rebar and steel embedments the best method it core drill with water but a cheap alternate would be a rebar cutter drill with standard Masonary bit until you hit the rebar then use the rebar cutter should have any issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks guys.

Looks like I'll try and get my hands on both Hilti TE-CX and Bosch X5L as both are rated to go through rebar without having to change bits and both seem to have similar geometry with 4 cutting edges like Jimbo suggested above. Maybe I'll do a small video comparison if I can find both easily.

Bosch has a much larger presence in India compared to Hilti but Hilti have a centralized system where they can let me know about what stock they have and at which store and hence might be actually easier to get my hands on the Hilti bits. I am already waiting for a reply to my mail and should know the stock and availability situation on Monday. Also have contact details of a big Bosch distributor so will get in touch with him too. I would have loved to have the ability to drive down to a local shop/HD/Lowe's and pick up what I want but we have to go the extra mile to get our hands on such less popular items.The only silver lining is that I get the best price available for that item as I usually end up buying directly from the importer/distributor like I got for my Knipex pliers and Bessey clamps. 

Thanks guys.

Like I had thought, the Bosch dealers were just not interested in procuring these unpopular expensive items whereas the Hilti store had them available in stock so it was a no-brainer that I went with Hilti TE-CX. Also ended up getting their basic Rotary Hammer as well as their plastic anchors. The ease of doing business with them and their promised service won me over. Also the available discounts due to buying directly from the company meant that the prices were very tempting and quite less than US prices despite us having 18% GST.

Used the 10mm TE-CX drill bit to drill 50 holes today and encountered 12mm rebar around 10 times which the TE-CX made short work of. The wear mark is already gone. Hilti says the accuracy is only guaranteed till the wear mark is visible but I am hoping that is not true.

Pics are over here - 

• 4 years later...