Dewalt 12 volt tools are going away

btharmy

3 hours ago, Big Adam said:

12V Nicad?

Think there's still a lack of clarity here.

I thought the same thing. I responded with a question about why they keep mentioning NiCad batteries when my only concern is the 12 V Max lithium ion line of tools.  This is the response I received from Dewalt:

"Hello,

In reference to your comments, Dewalt manufactures both 12 volt lithium and 12 volt NiCad batteries.  Regardless the 12 volt lithium and NiCad line are being discontinued.  We will continue to support the batteries/chargers for both based on the demand."

I think this pretty much clears up any confusion.

23 minutes ago, Pouet said:

Still. I would be pretty mad. A laser is not the cheapest tool around and to release it on a platform that you know is going to get discontinued is a bit dishonest.

I'm still trying to figure out why one of the Dewalt reps is refusing to tell me the truth about the 12v tools. He is hiding something. Or, it was supposed to be a secret that I wasn't supposed to find out about and someone spilled the beans. It seems very shady and underhanded to keep this kind of thing hidden from the consumer. 

10 minutes ago, Turner85 said:

Do 20v max lasers exist? Or did I read something wrong, I know about the 12v which I was actually putting money aside for, so im glad I stumbled across this thread. 

They do have 20v Max lasers they’re just more expensive than the 12v Max lasers. I’d still buy the 12v since there are going to still offer the batteries. Until DeWalt comes out and officially says they’re discontinuing the 12v Max line in favor of 20, 40, and 60v lines you should take anything about it being discontinued with a grain of salt. They could very well discontinue it tomorrow or it might be a year from now or they might just discontinue the tools and keep adding to the laser lineup. We won’t know until it happens, if it ever does happen.

• Like 1

On 10/28/2017 at 3:47 AM, Makita_2233 said:

It's common basic tool knowledge that dewalt is revamping the 12v line. The wheels are already rolling on new 12v tools. Next year will see some 

Would you care to enlighten us on this "common basic tool knowledge"? I am curious to know what is coming. I feel kind of stupid for not knowing about it already. Also, what/who is your source for such info?

17 minutes ago, Turner85 said:

Do 20v max lasers exist? Or did I read something wrong, I know about the 12v which I was actually putting money aside for, so im glad I stumbled across this thread. 

Big rotary lasers only. Not the laser you are going to use if you are remodeling a kitchen.

17 hours ago, Pouet said:

Big rotary lasers only. Not the laser you are going to use if you are remodeling a kitchen.

Yes I've looked into it today. Your correct, only the big rotary one in Europe anyway. It's actually the smaller green 12v that I was interested in. I will have to bump it down a couple of places on my wishlist till we hopefully have this cleared up or an 20v announced

my m12 fuel system has pretty much been my go to tool, my 18/20 volt dewalts dont get used like they used too, i have no problem with driving 3 inch screws, or small lags, i tried my buddies super compact makita 18 volt with 2ah battery, and my m12 fuel with 6ah battery, no contest, i did not like the compact 18 volt. i bought into the m12 because you could see the handwritting on the wall with dewalt 12 volt , i love the two battery styles, when im climbing ladders ill throw the little 2 or 3ah in the handle, when i need longer run time, ill use the the 4.0 or 6.0ah battery. best of both worlds. of course there is also times when only the bigger tools will do. 

5 hours ago, The.Handyman said:

My inside DeWalt contact stated, "We continue to manufacture and distribute our 12V line and are not ceasing production." 

The plot thickens...sounds like someone working there is misinformed one way or the other.

7 hours ago, fm2176 said:

The plot thickens...sounds like someone working there is misinformed one way or the other.

It is not just small lasers that run off the battery, they had all the specialty cameras and measurement tools that run off of it too. Even if they were to go to a strictly 20V MAX battery platform it would take some time to get them all adapted/redesigned to run off the different voltage.

19 hours ago, Pouet said:

Well count me in if Dewalt introduces new 12v tools with slide packs. I hate the pistol grips. It just too bulky for my hands. 

I agree.  While a part of me likes the bulkier handles, the DeWalt style grips provide a more sure grip for me.  The screwdriver is the only 12v Max tool I own and it is much more comfortable than the PC and Bosch 12v Max grips.

Got my impact driver today.  Unlike my recent FlexVolt purchases and other power tools I've gotten in the past, the date code is 2017.  Granted, we're almost done with the year, but I'd think that at the price I paid the tools weren't moving at all.  The tool feels every bit as nice as my 12v Max screwdriver. 

• Like 1