Dewalt 12 volt tools are going away

btharmy

I noticed my local lowes and home depot have removed all 12 volt tools and accessories from the shelves. I called Dewalt today and they confirmed the 12v cordless tools are being discontinued.  They do not plan on producing a new/replacement line of 12 volt tools. They won't even support existing users with batteries in the future like they still do with the 18v ni-cad tools.  I guess I'll be shopping for some red 12 volt tools real soon.

42 minutes ago, Bremon said:

No battery support sounds like a misunderstanding somewhere. 

I asked the Dewalt employee that question twice because the stores removed batteries from the shelves as well as the tools. He said to buy some up online for future use.

Did anybody confirm this with Dewalt? Have they issued an official statement? I’m really surprised because of the lasers coming out but that wouldn’t be the first time a major company has done something like this. I’m curious if Dewalt has made an actual admission to this though.

Ya.  I can’t drink that ....I’d say the 12v batteries will be made but the “line of tools “ will die.....as @Bremon has always said.........off topic but yo Bremen those diablo tracking point demo demen 7 1/4 “ blades are killer....the Best blade period...you were right ,  I WAS WRONG....I must of been drunk on koolaid..lol

• Haha 1

Lmao @Hugh Jass “we at Dewalt are proud to announce we didn’t literally steal your money, only figuratively, because you believed we’d support this platform. We’re proud to announce collusion...I mean... partnership with Milwaukee; you buy their 12v tools and they won’t make 60v tools. Everybody (who owns shares in our companies) wins!”

• Like 3

I own a bunch of 1.3Ah and 1.5Ah batteries I picked up for cheap at the PX for between $6 and $12.  Besides the screwdriver and a couple of lights, though, I never invested in 12v Max tools.  With the recent clearance prices, I was tempted, but the drill and impact just lacked...anything really over the 20v Max offerings.

Anyway, it looks like it's a good thing I never got carried away with 12v Max tools.  The screwdriver is fantastic - it drives stuff too big for the 8v driver but not in need of a 20v driver, and the light is pretty handy.  Otherwise, the batteries run my Bluetooth speakers, ToughSystem radio, and USB charger.

1 hour ago, fm2176 said:

I own a bunch of 1.3Ah and 1.5Ah batteries I picked up for cheap at the PX for between $6 and $12.  Besides the screwdriver and a couple of lights, though, I never invested in 12v Max tools.  With the recent clearance prices, I was tempted, but the drill and impact just lacked...anything really over the 20v Max offerings.

Anyway, it looks like it's a good thing I never got carried away with 12v Max tools.  The screwdriver is fantastic - it drives stuff too big for the 8v driver but not in need of a 20v driver, and the light is pretty handy.  Otherwise, the batteries run my Bluetooth speakers, ToughSystem radio, and USB charger.

I got the Wounded Warrior drill and impact set and then the screwdriver later. If I am going up and down a ladder or crawling into or out of a cabinet, they are my go to tools. I wouldn't mind it if they made a 20 volt version of the driver, I love the combination of bit holder chuck and the adjustable clutch. Even that little impact driver can split thin wood if you are not careful, the screwdriver clutch makes it far less likely.

• Like 1