SDS leaking oil/grease

jtkendall

I have the 5262-21 corded 1" SDS Plus Rotary Hammer that I bought about 15 months ago. I have never used it because the project I bought it for got put on hold so I could focus on other more important things around the house first. Fast forward 15 months, I open the case up to grab the serial number for inventory purposes, and find oil/grease on the tool exterior and in the case. Wiped it up with a paper towel got the serial number, finished inventory, and now I’m trying to figure out the next step.

The majority of my tools are cordless and I’ve never had this happen before so I’m hoping I can get some answers to what are probably stupid simple questions. I would Google them but I always end up with contradicting information.

1. Why would it leak oil? Like I said it’s never been used, it’s stayed flat in the case for 99.999% of the time I’ve owned it, and it stays in the house with most of my smaller tools.

2. What should I do to resolve the leaking?

3. If I should re-oil or grease anything what specific kind of oil/grease do I need.

It does have about 4 years left on its warranty so if it would be better to ship it off for Milwaukee to handle that’s fine too. I do prefer to figure out a solution that doesn’t require sending/taking it to a service center because the closest one is 90 minutes away and shipping can be a pain in the ass.

You sure it's not manufacturing residue? I've had corded machines that threw out quite a large glob of grease the first time they were pushed hard. Nothing was expelled in soft use, it was only when the machine got up to full working temperature that it would eject a sizeable amount of grease, usually from the vents on the side. After that, nothing. 

Just a thought. 

It’s possible. I’ve never used it so I suppose it’s possible that once it got warm enough in the house it could have softened and leaked. It wasn’t very much, just enough to make the case slightly greasy. I’ll have to give it a test this weekend to find out for sure.

4 hours ago, HiltiWpg said:

The chuck will always have a blob of grease in it. It can soften, or ooze out. Most manufacturers supply a small tube of grease with the tool. Proper use of the tool calls for a little grease every time you insert a bit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Now here is something that I've got a question about with SDS drills. I've heard some say that you should grease the bit/chuck every time you insert a bit and I've heard others say that if you do that, you'll just fill it up with dust and other crap, especially when you're drilling horizontally or overhead and cause it to die prematurely. 

So which is it?  To grease or not to grease? That is the question. 

In my hobby (RC), most people tend to run diffs and gearboxes dry for fear of turning any dirt into a grinding paste. Two clear camps with opposite views, looks like it's the same here. 

Except is isn’t.
There is maybe a 1/16 of an inch around the chuck collet. Nothing big can get in there in the first place.
Dust may stick a little to the grease but it will pull out with the bit.
I have seen bits seize inside from no grease and debris will get in without something to stop it.
But my opinion and anecdotal evidence doesn’t mean a pinch of coon shit.

I trust the manufacturers manual and recommendations more so than enthusiasts. Opinion doesn’t mean much when the manufacturer tells you to do it in the manual.

So why not just do it? If the worst thing that happens is longer tool life, why argue?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@HiltiWpg thanks for the information, this makes a lot of sense to me and I’m actually now really glad I haven’t used the SDS before now so I can pick up grease. Any suggestions on which grease to use? I see Makita has a hammer bit grease but I’m sure there is probably something cheaper or better to use.

[mention=51679]HiltiWpg[/mention] thanks for the information, this makes a lot of sense to me and I’m actually now really glad I haven’t used the SDS before now so I can pick up grease. Any suggestions on which grease to use? I see Makita has a hammer bit grease but I’m sure there is probably something cheaper or better to use.

No Problem!

Grab what you can. I have a couple tubes of Hilti and Makita Grease. Usually it’s about $6-$12 a tube. Lasts a long time too. 

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Hilti-Chuck-Grease-203086/202294513?MERCH=REC-_-PIPHorizontal1_rr-_-205182387-_-202294513-_-N

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Makita-100-ml-Hammer-Bit-Grease-194683-7/205182387?keyword=BIt+grease

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1