Right Angle Drilling

slopjock78

So looking for some advice here.  I have a kitchen project coming up, where I will need  the services of a light duty right angle drill.  The kitchen has several small cabinets that the face frames will need to be attached, but the openings are two small for a normal drill.  I started looking into right angle drills such as the DCD740, about $140 bare.  Then i started thinking, would some of the right angle attachments that are available now be just as effective.  Thinking specifically of the Dewalt DWARAFS and DWARA100, or something similar from another manufacturer.

So, I thought I'd get one here and get some opinions on what others are doing in similar situations.  Do people use more dedicated right angle drills, or attachments that can be used with normal drills.  Again, specifically for light duty drilling, NOT something that would require something like a Hole Hawg.

The DWARA100 attachment works pretty well. This is what I have used to do my kitchen. It's not the greatest way to drill in a confined space but it works. The best tool for this job would be the Bosch Flexiclick in my opinion. I would also buy a flex shaft attachment just in case.

@slopjock78 The DeWALT right angle attachment is not the best in drilling applications. I have used it to drill before and it was a challenge to put enough pressure to get the bit to drill. You have to hold the attachment in one hand and the impact in the other. After awhile it seemed to heat up and I got to the point that I had to let the bit cool down. I wasn't doing many holes. Maybe a dozen. This will do the job in a pinch but I would not recommend using it for long drilling sessions. I would second @Pouet 's idea and look into the Bosch Flexiclick. 

4 hours ago, Jronman said:

@slopjock78 The DeWALT right angle attachment is not the best in drilling applications. I have used it to drill before and it was a challenge to put enough pressure to get the bit to drill. You have to hold the attachment in one hand and the impact in the other. After awhile it seemed to heat up and I got to the point that I had to let the bit cool down. I wasn't doing many holes. Maybe a dozen. This will do the job in a pinch but I would not recommend using it for long drilling sessions. I would second @Pouet 's idea and look into the Bosch Flexiclick. 

yuo can always predrill the frame with a normal drill from the outside before setting in place.  then all you need is to drill a bit into the second frame.

but the DWARA100 will definetly do the job.  and you should be using an impact driver.  makes driving screws way easier. and the impact is shorter.

4 hours ago, framer said:

yuo can always predrill the frame with a normal drill from the outside before setting in place.  then all you need is to drill a bit into the second frame.

but the DWARA100 will definetly do the job.  and you should be using an impact driver.  makes driving screws way easier. and the impact is shorter.

I actually really like this idea, I feel a little dumb not thinking of it myself.  I think I will give this a try, and use the Dewalt flex shaft on my DCF895 impact to drive the screws.

Thanks everyone for the help.  That bosch does look pretty handy, may put that on the list for the future...although I'm not sure I want to start another battery platform though.....