Commercial Work or Residential Work

Event Horizon

Having read many topics and posts here it appears most here are residential guys, and many are very young. I find that well, as the trades regardless of classification need intelligent, insightful, skilled and dedicated professionals. The one thing I do get a sense of though, is that some are tool collectors, rather than tool users. The trades are not for the light hearted, it is tough both physically and financially. I hope this stirs up ire and posts, because I would like to here where you guys are at, in terms of career, entrepreneurial endeavor, business ownership, etc.

I worked in Union construction briefly after high school. When I was 20 I hired out on the former C&O Railroad (now part of CSX) as a Conductor and I've been doing that ever since. The tools required are few and limited to a couple different size wrenches, a 32 oz. ball peen hammer, a chisel, and a pair of Channellocks, though they're mostly for convienance. In my spare time I do a lot of different things and do something in the garage everyday. I'm currently rebuilding a 1962 Cub Cadet Original. What someone does for a living and their age is irrelevant in the grand scheme of things. We're all here because we have a passion for tools and the things we do with them. It's also nice to have a variety of opinions from different interests and skill sets.

I am only 15 but i have a handyman company and do work for a lot of people around ormond beach fl. I also am a maintenance head over the summer time at a local country club. Alot of my work is landscaping and outdoor work. I do a lot of interesting jobs from sweeping tennis courts to jackhammering out poles.i plan on being a Firefighter, they work 24 on,48 off so i plan on having a construction company on the side. I live in a huge development that has a lot of seniors, which leads to a lot of work.

Chase, I have read your posts and watched your videos, all excellent. What I was getting at that on commercial jobs, tools are damn important, as in, if I do not complete work on time I get back charged. On the job site we beat the hell out of tools to get the work done. And yes all of them fail at some point, so what I am saying is that tools are a means to an end, not an end in and of themselves. I don't have a passion for tools, I need good tools to make a living, plain and simple. Lordy bee, let me shut up now !

Chase, I have read your posts and watched your videos, all excellent. What I was getting at that on commercial jobs, tools are damn important, as in, if I do not complete work on time I get back charged. On the job site we beat the hell out of tools to get the work done. And yes all of them fail at some point, so what I am saying is that tools are a means to an end, not an end in and of themselves. I don't have a passion for tools, I need good tools to make a living, plain and simple. Lordy bee, let me shut up now !

Come on now! If you didn't have at least a little passion for tools you wouldn't be on the Internet talking about them :)

• Like 1

Yeah i see what you mean, what type of work on the job site do you do.

• 2 weeks later...

Tools may be a means to an end, however if the tools aren't there the ends never comes. I do both the big stuff and ppls homes and if i dont have the appropriate tool on hand to do my job i feel like the homeowner(particularly) and/or site manager assumes its amateur hour. I smash my tools but i take care of them too. Most of my hand tools i have had for more than 5 years and i've laid km's square of roof. Had my socket set for 15 years and it still rattles home coach bolts and gets kit sheds to lock up.

Love your tools and they stick with you. 

Any contractor that isn't a toolaholic is in admin i reckon.

• 4 weeks later...