Screwdrivers

firefighter4187

The Wiha demos and the Wera "Chisel drivers" are both awesome. The Craftsman Professional drivers are pretty good also. Still USA made by Western Forge. The same drivers are also available as Husky brand too. Also made by WF. I've come to appreciate a hard handled driver more than a cushion grip though. They stay looking nicer longer and the grease, oil, and dirt, wipes right off.

OK heres the deal, right now I have cheap Chinese brand screwdrivers which are complete shit, the tips are breaking and Im tired of it, so I want a set of phillips, demo, slotted, torx and cabinet screwdriver( I forget the name of the bit), I want a good brand that wont break  the bank to much with a good warranty, what do you guys recommend?

How much are you looking to spend?

60-80...

Right now Lowes is getting rid of Knipex tools I know they oriented for electrical work, but their are more than 50% off right now.

I heard about that, im disappointed, i heard a china company called Southwire is replacing them...

OK heres the deal, right now I have cheap Chinese brand screwdrivers which are complete shit, the tips are breaking and Im tired of it, so I want a set of phillips, demo, slotted, torx and cabinet screwdriver( I forget the name of the bit), I want a good brand that wont break  the bank to much with a good warranty, what do you guys recommend?

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=207040  German Hand Tool is running a promo for the Felo ergotronics which are great.

Wiha always has their demo drivers on sale directly from their site(currently not but keep checking):  http://www.wihatools.com/featuredtool.htm  (I paid under $20 for the set)

Harry Epstein has some pretty good deals on craftsman USA closeouts (best part of his site is he lists COO):  http://store.harryepstein.com/merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=1930&Category_Code=Craftsman  

Here's my advice Chase. Don't pay any attention to price. Pick out the drivers you like best, Wera, Wiha, Proto, whatever. Buy a base set that has all the flat and phillips you want. Add the torx when you can, add the square drive when you can, and so on. Huge comprehensive sets that have them all don't hardly exist with the top quality brands, and if they do, they're fucking crazy expensive. If you want my suggestion, take a look at this Blackhawk set @ Zoro Tools:

22 piece Blackhawk Set

Now hear me out. These drivers are AWESOME! The set includes all the Phillips, flat, and cabinet tips you will ever need. The $137 price I linked you to is the cheapest you'll find. If you order them before the 31st you can use the coupon code JUNE30Z at checkout and save $30 on orders over $125, meaning you're getting this awesome set for $107 with free shipping! 

Later on as funds permit, you can add the Blackhawk ST-7TT Torx set

You can also add the matching bit driver for $11

and the matching 1/4"socket driver/spinner handle for only $6 

If it were me, I'd go ahead and get the bit and spinner when I bought the set. These are made in France and are truly awesome drivers with a Lifetime warranty. Blackhawk is Proto's budget industrial brand. They have a slightly cushioned grip and a good feel to them. Trust me, you won't be sorry you ordered them. They don't make them in square drive, but you can pick up a set of square insert bits for the bit driver. You can also add a security bit set for it and have an awesome set of drivers that covers every need and takes up a whole drawer in your box. If you've ever taken Conductor's advice, take it now. 

Here's my advice Chase. Don't pay any attention to price. Pick out the drivers you like best, Wera, Wiha, Proto, whatever. Buy a base set that has all the flat and phillips you want. Add the torx when you can, add the square drive when you can, and so on. Huge comprehensive sets that have them all don't hardly exist with the top quality brands, and if they do, they're fucking crazy expensive. If you want my suggestion, take a look at this Blackhawk set @ Zoro Tools:

22 piece Blackhawk Set

Now hear me out. These drivers are AWESOME! The set includes all the Phillips, flat, and cabinet tips you will ever need. The $137 price I linked you to is the cheapest you'll find. If you order them before the 31st you can use the coupon code JUNE30Z at checkout and save $30 on orders over $125, meaning you're getting this awesome set for $107 with free shipping! 

Later on as funds permit, you can add the Blackhawk ST-7TT Torx set

You can also add the matching bit driver for $11

and the matching 1/4"socket driver/spinner handle for only $6 

If it were me, I'd go ahead and get the bit and spinner when I bought the set. These are made in France and are truly awesome drivers with a Lifetime warranty. Blackhawk is Proto's budget industrial brand. They have a slightly cushioned grip and a good feel to them. Trust me, you won't be sorry you ordered them. They don't make them in square drive, but you can pick up a set of square insert bits for the bit driver. You can also add a security bit set for it and have an awesome set of drivers that covers every need and takes up a whole drawer in your box. If you've ever taken Conductor's advice, take it now. 

Conductor do you have these, and how has your overall experience been with blackhawk?, I know they make good locking pliers also.

I have a few of them. They are very nice, wish I'd done what I suggested you do. I have many Blackhawk items and have no complaints. The locking pliers, drivers, sockets, combo wrenches, and ratcheting combo wrenches are all very nice. Sockets and combos are USA made, locking pliers and anything with a ratcheting mechanism are Taiwan, drivers are French, etc. Various COO's on their stuff, but it's all pretty good stuff. No cheap ass crap from Blackhawk. They're sockets are very good USA made items at near Crapsman prices. They're the best value in sockets as far as I'm concerned. They make up half the sockets I own and I've never had a single issue.  

I have a few of them. They are very nice, wish I'd done what I suggested you do. I have many Blackhawk items and have no complaints. The locking pliers, drivers, sockets, combo wrenches, and ratcheting combo wrenches are all very nice. Sockets and combos are USA made, locking pliers and anything with a ratcheting mechanism are Taiwan, drivers are French, etc. Various COO's on their stuff, but it's all pretty good stuff. No cheap ass crap from Blackhawk. They're sockets are very good USA made items at near Crapsman prices. They're the best value in sockets as far as I'm concerned. They make up half the sockets I own and I've never had a single issue.  

French? thats a first, I have always heard that tools made in germany, england area has just as good quality if not better than USA made..

Proto bought Facom in 2006 and utilized some of their designs and patents for their other lines as well. Facom is a well respected French manufacturer. They started right after WWI and at one time owned SK tools in it's entirety. Another Facom design that was adapted to the Proto line are the "Palm control" ratchets, Proto models J4757F, J5257F, and J5457F (The F designates flex head, but they are also available in fixed head by removing the F from the model #). They are a 72 tooth ratchet with 13 tooth engagement, giving them possibly the highest fine tooth torque tolerance on the market. Even Snap-On doesn't have a fine tooth with that many teeth engaged at any given moment. They are stout rats and Facom designed them.

And yes, that's all from memory (model #'s and all) :)

SK is good stuff. They've been around since the turn of the last century. They were passed around several times over the years and were at one time owned Symington - Wayne (tools from this era are known as SK Wayne), who sold them to Snap-On, who sold it to Facom. Somehow or another they had some type of management buyout that didn't work out, which ended up with Ideal buying them a couple of years back. Quality varied over the years, but Ideal built a brand new facility in Illinois and currently make all of the SK line in the USA. Some items such as pliers, and a lot of speciality tools are simply rebranded versions made by someone else (retaining ring pliers come to mind) and I think even the SK screwdrivers are re-branded Western Forge Drivers. This isn't unusual and all manufacturers do it (even Snap-On). If I couldn't get Proto, SK would be my 2nd choice. They are also one of the more affordable truly professional lines and Ideal will warranty tools from previous ownerships as well. SK would be a fine choice for just about any tool. They have some of the best chrome in the business too.