Milwaukee Router CPO

firefighter4187

Yeah I am considering buying it, what are you using for a router?

I have a Ryobi. I got it as a gift. Had I have bought my own I would have bought the big Milwaukee. The Ryobi has actually done a good job. Made in the USA too.

So I just did some research.  That is a good price but I see Home Depot has it for $169.  $20 more.  So it's not that great a deal.  Would it be easier to return it to Home Depot?  

To return something at CPO, you must pay return shipping.

Does the 3 1/4 have the body grip?

No. On a 3 1/2 HP router you can forget body gripping it. It'd be like trying to tie up a Pit Bull with fishing line. You'll typically need both hands to hold it. 

The 2 1/4 horse model comes with a body grip option. The 5616-20 comes with the bodygrip base while the 5616-24 kit comes with both a plunge base and a fixed base. Unless you're using it professionally on a daily basis or do a whole lot of continuous routing in hardwoods, the 5616-24 kit is your best option IMO. It gives you the most versatility and has enough power to handle any task you throw at it. If I were in the market for a router that's the one I'd buy. The 3 1/2 HP model is a beast! but if you don't absolutely need that kind of power it's just added weight and expense.  

They also offer the same kit (model 5615-24) that has both bases but comes with the 1 3/4 HP router. It's also a very worthy option. It has the power for hardwoods, but someone working with hardwood consistently would likely be happier with the 2 1/4 horse model. I work primarily in pine for my wifes primitive furniture and deal in hardwoods only occasionally. I could certainly get by with the 1 3/4 horse model, but it's better to have a little more if you think you might need it.  

No. On a 3 1/2 HP router you can forget body gripping it. It'd be like trying to tie up a Pit Bull with fishing line. You'll typically need both hands to hold it. 

The 2 1/4 horse model comes with a body grip option. The 5616-20 comes with the bodygrip base while the 5616-24 kit comes with both a plunge base and a fixed base. Unless you're using it professionally on a daily basis or do a whole lot of continuous routing in hardwoods, the 5616-24 kit is your best option IMO. It gives you the most versatility and has enough power to handle any task you throw at it. If I were in the market for a router that's the one I'd buy. The 3 1/2 HP model is a beast! but if you don't absolutely need that kind of power it's just added weight and expense.  

They also offer the same kit (model 5615-24) that has both bases but comes with the 1 3/4 HP router. It's also a very worthy option. It has the power for hardwoods, but someone working with hardwood consistently would likely be happier with the 2 1/4 horse model. I work primarily in pine for my wifes primitive furniture and deal in hardwoods only occasionally. I could certainly get by with the 1 3/4 horse model, but it's better to have a little more if you think you might need it.  

I think if and when I do buy this, I am pretty dead set on this one, I will get the 2 1/4 hp, I like to have big power just in case.

The country boy in me says "I'd rather keep the tractor because I can't mow or plow with the truck, but I can ride to work on the tractor". Then the realist in me stands up and says "At top speed it'll take you 6 hours to get to work dumbass!"

The country boy in me says "I'd rather keep the tractor because I can't mow or plow with the truck, but I can ride to work on the tractor". Then the realist in me stands up and says "At top speed it'll take you 6 hours to get to work dumbass!"

Lol you all can have the truck and tractor, Im cleaning out the garage!

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    TNBT
    Newest Member
    TNBT