How to use table saw?

power to0ls

Welcome to the forum.

My speculation is that the OP has zero experience w/ this tool and looking for the starting point.

If so, then online searches reveal a plethora of information, here is one.

A table saw is a very useful tool, but must be used properly and safety.

One common improvement to increase utility and safety is to construct utilize sleds.

The OP should feel free to provide a more narrow definition of how members may assist better.

• Like 1

Lots of YouTube videos on it. Pay serious attention to the ones focusing on safety...table saw injuries can happen in the blink of an eye! Just one wrong move and people lose fingers! Take it seriously! Always have your riving knife on. Use your push sticks.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

@power to0ls here are some things I do to keep safe. I hope they help. If the material is 1-1/2" or less in width I would use a push stick. For material wider than that I rest my right pinky finger on the top of the fence to ensure my hand stays away from the blade. I don't like using push sticks for wider material. It increases the difficulty of getting an accurate cut. If you want to use a push block or a sled that should work just fine since they would have a wider surface to push with. Another tip is don't stand directly behind the piece you are cutting just incase kickback occurs. You wouldn't wan't a piece of wood traveling at high speed towards yourself. Always use the riving knife. This helps prevent kickback. Your left hand moves the material left of the blade and your right hand move material right of the blade while it is spinning. Never cross your arm over the blade to move a piece while the blade is spinning. Make sure both pieces are free of the blade before turning the saw off. If the piece is too big to cut yourself either get a second person to help cut or use a tracksaw or circular saw with straight edge. Make sure you have adequate space in front and behind the saw to cut the piece you want to cut. Keep blade height no more than 1/16" more than the piece you are cutting if possible. 

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Things that happen can happen faster than we can react!

That's why I plan every cut as though it will have a pronlem, even thick or wide materials.

Then any accidents don't occur, if something tries to go wrong, I'm not in the flight path

nor are my hands nor fingers AT RISK! I'd rather use pushsticks and featherboards

and learn to be accurate using them (it's not hard) than depend on a 'probably'!