Mitre saw for home renovation

Nickball

Well you don’t have to move the thing often, I would just do either their 10” or 12” X2 (or their corded equivalents, if you don’t have much in the way of batteries). Whichever one has the cut capacity you need. I have the 12” and love the thing, but I will almost never need it’s huge cut capacity.

Agreed, I hesitated in answering this as I only have DeWalt miter saws, but a 10" or 12" saw will handle anything you need it for (and then some).  A 7-1/4" saw is more than enough for most people, though, unless you have a need to cut something larger than 2x8s.

Nickball, it depends on the sizes of your shed, or a new one, that you're going to build. When I was constructing a new shed on my rancho, I've been using different types of saws, including circular saw, reciprocating saw and mitre one as well. Although, if we talk about more complex renovation, like a comprehensive basement renovation, I would ask some professionals for it. In our area there is no better company than this one ( here: https://csgrenovation.ca/bradford/basement-renovations/ ), who has the best recommendations from their clients as I know. I'm going to hire them in the next few months, I think, for such renovation.

13 hours ago, sanchez040 said:

Nickball, it depends on the sizes of your shed, or a new one, that you're going to build. When I was constructing a new shed on my rancho, I've been using different types of saws, including circular saw, reciprocating saw and mitre ones as well.

To elaborate on sanchez040's post, these three types of saws are all great for different things.  A reciprocating saw (or recip) is a must-have for demolition, and is also useful for cutting conduit or pipe.  They can be used for rough cuts of dimensional lumber but will not produce a smooth and accurate cut.  A circular saw can be used in lieu of a table saw and  miter saw, and is much more portable (especially if cordless).  Meanwhile, miter saws offer a level of precision that is hard to replicate with circular saws, especially for angles and miter cuts.

The 10" cordless has been a life saver for me while renovating my 1920s house. It is powerful, precise, and can be setup anywhere regardless of power availability. The 12" cordless is great too, but I feel like it is a little less precise, seems to go through batteries a bit faster, and I pretty much never need that capacity. Both saws are HEAVY though, and a pain to get between levels in the house. If portability is important, the little 7¼ cordless miter can get a lot of your typical tasks done.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 years later...

When it comes to selecting a mitre saw for your shed and home renovations, consider factors like blade size, power, and portability. Models like the DeWalt DWS780 or the Bosch GCM12SD are excellent choices, offering precision and versatility. https://starkbuilders.com.au/ might have valuable insights too! They might not specifically deal with tools, but their expertise could help in planning renovations where a mitre saw will come in handy.