New dewalt compact 20v max drill

Javier

Just got the new 20v dewalt drill that's on sale for $99 at either hd or lowes for black Friday. It's a brand new model dcd771. Haven't opened it yet but the specs on the package are :

1/2" chuck

2 speed 0-450/0-1,500 rpm

300 UWO (dewalts cheesy torque power rating)

Comes with 2 compact batteries and a different smaller charger

I will open and test it out in a week

post-22854-0-17015100-1384888011_thumb.jpost-22854-0-32643600-1384888035_thumb.j

Namely the 3rd speed nobody needs anyway :lol:

I am kinda surprised about the different charger though.

if you're talking about the premium drill then yeah I agree. I used to have one and didn't need the middle speed. Unnecessary. The new brushless screwed up by not including the mode selector switch. That to me was is more important than a third gear.

The charger is a "slow" charger. I haven't opened the package yet but it's rated to charge the compact batteries in an hour. That's twice as long. This is one of the corners they had to cut in order to sell for so cheap. Also supposedly these batteries are 1.3ah. Making the whole package a Porter cable drill in dewalt clothing.

To top it off Javier, they lengthened the body and cut down the power! May as well buy the regular unit. Or go with PC's 20v drill. I can speak from experience, thanks Eric, that the 20v PC impact or is a solid too and the price for the PC is going to be the same. They should never dumb down a tool that is supposed to be pro grade. For first time buyers they will get disappointed with the tool after the initial investment of what is still a hundred bucks at Christmas time!

I agree with what all you guys are saying. I have a decent set of m18 fuel tools along with a growing fast family of m12 tools which are my everyday tools so I know a good power tool. I only bought this drill to check it out and then resell on craigslist.

It's not a bad deal for someone who has the 20v line of tools you get 2 new batteries and a charger for 99 bucks plus a beater drill you can abuse because you didn't want it in the first place. Let it be the one that gets rained on rolled in the mud and god knows what else. They way I see it it's a good way to buy into the platform for a DIY person.

Smart that Javier. That's how I get most of my new tools is deal hunting. DR99 is right on about buying into the line. It does make it easy at $99 but I think Dewalt shouldn't have made the drill a cheap one, it will hurt their rep when people research it or use it and figure it out on their own. If the could've kept the original 20v instead and made concessions with a one battery kit I think it would have made more sense. But then again to second guess my comments, the set is a bargain, I guess.

• 4 weeks later...

Still working on the review for this drill. I know the 20v max platform is supposed to have overload protection, do all dewalt 20v tools have it or just some?

I'm running several tests on this drill and managed to make it smoke under a high torque application. I doubt the drill is defective though as it works great for all applications it's meant for Even after it smoked

I'm not trying to bash the drill or the brand just sharing real world experience and when the motor should have cut off, it just kept on trying and started to smoke. The application was driving a 2" lag screw into a 2x4 without a pilot hole on speed 2. Now I know this should be better done on speed 1 which it can do it successfully on speed 1 I just wanted to see if it could sink the lag in speed 2. On speed 2 it could only sink the lag screw halfway and that's when it started to smoke. I'm surprised the electronics didn't kick in and shut the tool off.

I wonder if overload protection was canned in order to cut costs?

Still working on the review for this drill. I know the 20v max platform is supposed to have overload protection, do all dewalt 20v tools have it or just some?

I'm running several tests on this drill and managed to make it smoke under a high torque application. I doubt the drill is defective though as it works great for all applications it's meant for Even after it smoked

I'm not trying to bash the drill or the brand just sharing real world experience and when the motor should have cut off, it just kept on trying and started to smoke. The application was driving a 2" lag screw into a 2x4 without a pilot hole on speed 2. Now I know this should be better done on speed 1 which it can do it successfully on speed 1 I just wanted to see if it could sink the lag in speed 2. On speed 2 it could only sink the lag screw halfway and that's when it started to smoke. I'm surprised the electronics didn't kick in and shut the tool off.

I wonder if overload protection was canned in order to cut costs?

Dewalt's overload protection is not as invasive as some other brands and will really take the tool to the limit before it will look to shut off but maybe this kit has none

• 2 weeks later...

Update: I have confirmed overload protection on this drill. After thorough testing it seems it does have it after all. Weird because it won't overload even under the same test that made it smoke in the first place. I can still get it to spark and smoke a little but only if I repeatedly force the overload protection to kick in but nobody would do that in the real world. I wonder what the deal was the first time, possibly a low charge on the battery?

If the drill will get to the point of smoking before the OP kicks in it is a FAIL on Dewalt's part.

I don't care what 07Sierra tells you :lol:

Puffffttt, rather my drill try to be able to do the job then a drill then has a hard time to pass through a 2x6 without looking to shut it self off because the manufacturer used the cheapest motor on the market and can't handle any work 

Puffffttt, rather my drill try to be able to do the job then a drill then has a hard time to pass through a 2x6 without looking to shut it self off because the manufacturer used the cheapest motor on the market and can't handle any work 

Cheapest moto on the market :lol: :lol: :lol:

Lol it's way better than any black and Decker drill cordless drill. In fact it's very close to the performance of the dcd780.

As for the overload protection, compared to Milwaukee the overload protection kicks in right away as opposed to dewalt will let the motor struggle just a bit before it shuts off.

I'm actually surprised at how well the dcd771 performs for a "compact" drill and for the price. All of the stripped down features are justified by the price.

I have no clue what 300 uwo means but honestly I expected this to be slightly better than a 12v and it goes beyond that.