Tough system vacuum

Norty

Does anyone know why Dewalt will not manufacture a dust extractor to suit the tough system?  They make one for t-stak (DCV586MT2-XE), but don't have any plans for a tough system version .

Dewalt won't fess up and explain when they're releasing one, or why they're not.  Does anyone else have any info on it?

please discuss!

Good question, but one I don't have an answer for either.  Stanley, Black & Decker seems to be all over the place with their various tool storage systems, so that might be one issue.  ToughSystem, T-Stak, and the Craftsman VersaStak and TradeStak (and probably other brands or systems I'm overlooking) are all being supported to some extent or another, with the middle two having full interchangeability and the last having some interchangeability with the other "Staks".  I think SBD is trying to support brand loyalists.  DeWalt guy?  T-Stak.  DeWalt guy in need of something a bit larger or more robust?  ToughSystem.  Craftsman guy?  VersaStak.  Craftsman guy in need of something a little larger or more robust?  TradeStak.  You get the picture.

TTI seems to have an opposite strategy.  Want an ever-expanding modular storage system with multiple sizes and options?  Packout.  Want something probably as tough (in my experience), much less expensive, but also lacking in variety?  Ridgid.  Then again, TTI has a clear brand tier system with relatively minor overlap between brands (Ridgid seems to be all over the place) while SBD seems to be trying to take advantage of the Craftsman name by marketing it as heavily as DeWalt.  

A ToughSystem dust extractor seems like a no-brainer, especially as the T-Stak version is probably compatible with the other "Staks", but it would require a little more than a simple adaptor given the difference between the two systems.  In my humble opinion, TTI gets it as right as anyone.  Want all of the modular storage system compatible goodness?  Spend the money, buy Packout and attach vacuums, radios, bags, and who knows what else to the system.  Meanwhile, SBD is releasing different products for two popular systems and upsetting those who choose one over the other.  

I have all of the above mentioned systems besides T-Stak, and each has strengths and weaknesses for my uses.  While I won't be in the market for a dust extractor for another year or so, I'd readily buy a ToughSystem version over the T-Stak one.  If Milwaukee released a Packout compatible one first, I'd get that instead of the T-Stak.  

• Like 1

I am sure DeWALT will come up with a Toughsystem Vacuum, probably with a flexvolt 120V (2 x 60V) one. The Toughsystem is not only used for DeWALT, it is also used for Stanley Fatmax, Facom, Vidmar and MacTools. 

Facom Toughsystem is sold mostly in Western Europe, Stanley Fatmax Toughsystem is sold in Greece and Australia and some Eastern European countries, and all types of MacTools version are sold in Japanese websites. With Facom and MacTools ones they also provide quality insert foam. If you really want to use TSTAK Vac with Toughsystem boxes you might get a proper adapter like the one in the photo. 

Facom.jpg

MacTools Toughsystem.jpg

Stanley Fatmax Toughsystem.jpg

Vidmar Toughsystem.jpg

MacTools Foam Toughsystem.jpg

DeWALT Toughsystem To TSTAK Adapter.jpg

• Like 1

I've always felt from the day it's launched, that originally dewalt planned to make the TSTAK vacuum a Toughsystem one based on it's footprint, it's basically the width of a DS100/150/200 box, (see example image below), only thing that makes it TSTAK is the connecting points.  But when you start looking at the TSTAK system in general, they appear to have lost the sense of standard sizing as even the radio is wider than the other TSTAK boxes and the rolling box is also wider than the other standard boxes in the range.    

12.jpg.ddbbad5bed3ae01b1f5e0911686b64ad.jpgimages.jpg.0f2b7915165d0a173d8b26aac3a0430b.jpg088872FF-1135-488A-9983-034A206695CE.jpeg.cb3179b6edef2976c2fb7fe3d5c65440.thumb.jpg.a726ac4b819d2776d76e93ac983599a4.jpg

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Paul_Delahaye said:

I've always felt from the day it's launched, that originally dewalt planned to make the TSTAK vacuum a Toughsystem one based on it's footprint, it's basically the width of a DS100/150/200 box, (see example image below), only thing that makes it TSTAK is the connecting points.  But when you start looking at the TSTAK system in general, they appear to have lost the sense of standard sizing as even the radio is wider than the other TSTAK boxes and the rolling box is also wider than the other standard boxes in the range.    

12.jpg.ddbbad5bed3ae01b1f5e0911686b64ad.jpgimages.jpg.0f2b7915165d0a173d8b26aac3a0430b.jpg088872FF-1135-488A-9983-034A206695CE.jpeg.cb3179b6edef2976c2fb7fe3d5c65440.thumb.jpg.a726ac4b819d2776d76e93ac983599a4.jpg

I am not happy with the design of TSTAK Vac. In a Toughsystem version the hose should not be exposed like this, they can add an additional Toughsystem box on top to store the hose and other accessories, Also I would like the  Toughsystem version to have that little hole for pad lock. 

Thankyou for those posts guys - very informative to me here in Tasmania!    I still don’t understand why SBD won’t provide a comment on the issue, I feel as though I may as well bang my head against a brick wall.    Nobody I speak to knows anything and they don’t really care either.

With Tough system DeWALT could make the vac the footprint of a ds400/ds450. Redesign the lid to fit the hose and motor and you would have a really solid vac. Another option would be make a vac that is more like the Festool CT series. More of a dedicated vac that happens to have mounting points for Tough System.