Sandpaper melted in ETC EC 125 interface pad

Antonio Santos

Hello everyone!
Today I was sanding with the ETS EC 125/3, with the white soft interface pad, and I accidentally wore out the sandpaper too much and used it longer than I should have. Besides the sandpaper starting to tear, it got stuck to the pad, maybe also with the heat of the friction.
Now I can't remove these two pieces from the pad... They're stuck.
Is there any solution to remove them without damaging the velcro of the pad?

Thanks.

20230309_183753.jpg

20230309_183806.jpg

20230309_183812.jpg

• Antonio Santos changed the title to Sandpaper melted in ETC EC 125 interface pad

Try to apply isopropyl (rubbing alcohol) with cotton buds very carefully just on the white parts and let it soak a bit and then try to remove them with a tweezer, you might be able to use white sprit as well instead of rubbing alcohol, but you should remember white sprit is stronger than rubbing alcohol and can damage the pad if used too much. 

I don't think I could get it back.
I used a square awl, but it's really stuck to the pad.
In fact, part of the pad looks like it's starting to come off.
Thanks for the suggestions, but I think unfortunately I'm really going to have to buy a new one.
This is the first time this has happened to me, I didn't even know it was possible to happen.

Every tool or accessory has a limit, if you use a sander for a long time or with too much pressure the heat produced by the friction can melt the plastic or glue (if used), at least you know the limit of the tool now to not overuse it next time.  

5 hours ago, Altan said:

Every tool or accessory has a limit, if you use a sander for a long time or with too much pressure the heat produced by the friction can melt the plastic or glue (if used), at least you know the limit of the tool now to not overuse it next time.  

That is one of the HUGE advantages of the Festool vacuum sanding system.

The airflow / debris removal cools the paper and the pad. The debris removal helps prevent the paper from clogging and becoming useless.

• Like 1

Festool’s fast fix holds better than Velcro/hook and loop. I haven’t had the paper melt to the pad before on my Rotex. I wouldn’t be surprised if it could have melted on yours or mine but also wouldn’t be surprised if it was just the fast fix holding on so well. Festool offers a thin pad to put between the sander pad and sandpaper to help extend the life of the sander pad. Proper suction is very important. I have personally experienced extended sandpaper life and faster sanding performance just by using a vacuum with proper suction.

• Like 1

On 3/11/2023 at 11:37 PM, wingless said:

That is one of the HUGE advantages of the Festool vacuum sanding system.

The airflow / debris removal cools the paper and the pad. The debris removal helps prevent the paper from clogging and becoming useless.

I have used Festool sanders connected to their vacuum, they are amazing, but they also have a limit and you can not push more than that limit, that is what I meant. 

11 hours ago, Altan said:

I have used Festool sanders connected to their vacuum, they are amazing, but they also have a limit and you can not push more than that limit, that is what I meant. 

Agreed

On mine, I've used it for thousands of hours, always at maximum vacuum suction and almost always at 4 of 6 speed setting.

My experience is VERY infrequent maximum pushing force (almost never) and virtually always just let the tool do the work with normal hard pushing force.

Some project require new / sharp paper, then those discs are stacked for later reuse on less demanding or on greater damaging projects before finally being discarded.

Sometimes on certain paint removal projects it will still clog the paper and I sometimes use a utility knife blade to pop off those paint globs from the sheet.