New 12v max driver drill chuck doesn't run true.

cyclone700

Just opened my new 12v max Dewalt driver drill and the chuck does not run true.  Anybody else with one of these have this problem?  The chuck seems tight on the spindle but it noticealby runs off center.  This is now my second compact drill with a chuck problem.  I bought a Bosch PS31 and the chuck wobbled on it so I bought the dewalt hoping it would be better.

That is strange- probably just a small batch problem. I would take it back and either trade it for a new one, or try another brand. I personally found the M12 2 speed drill to work pretty darn good, actually! I was able to get one of the holiday kits with 3 tools inside, including the 2 speed drill and Red Lithium Batteries (paid only $169.00!!!)...I love it!! There is something to be said about the metal chuck and metal housing that Milwaukee offers. The DeWalt does feel nice in the hand, but the M12's feel pretty natural. Side note: those red lithium batteries really do work well!! They charge super fast too. I happened to receive one of their XC batteries for purchasing this kit and some bits, and the base on it is pretty cool too- has rubber overmold on it as well. ;D Do you know if DeWalt is going to come out with an XC style battery too?

The rep I talked to mentioned that there will be more tools coming out soon, so keep your ears open for that.

I DO wish that the LED lights were the same as the DeWalt 12v MAX...those are pretty awesome!!!

I've compared most of the competitions drill drivers against the Dewalts, I must say (no offense Hawkfan) the Milwaukee was the worst as far as performance. The porter Cable 12v tied it driving 3" deck screws and it's only $89 bucks. Now I wasn't using their red line batteries, I don't know if they are claiming better performance with those or not. Have you compared the two Hawkfan? Get different results?

Just opened my new 12v max Dewalt driver drill and the chuck does not run true.  Anybody else with one of these have this problem?  The chuck seems tight on the spindle but it noticealby runs off center.  This is now my second compact drill with a chuck problem.  I bought a Bosch PS31 and the chuck wobbled on it so I bought the dewalt hoping it would be better.

I don't think any powertool manufacture makes their own chucks. Jacob's makes 90% of the chucks on cordless drills. Some have a wobble some don't. I've never owned a drill where the chuck rotated perfect like a lathe. It happens, and is more common than you think. Just exchange it.

I actually have tested the Red Lithium's vs. the regular, with surprising results- they live up to their claims!! As far as runtime and power...I am convinced. Most stores have these batteries coming in now and they are legit, let me tell you. Guess you have to try for yourself. As for the porter cable...no thank you. I'd rather go bosch or makita.

I actually have tested the Red Lithium's vs. the regular, with surprising results- they live up to their claims!! As far as runtime and power...I am convinced. Most stores have these batteries coming in now and they are legit, let me tell you. Guess you have to try for yourself. As for the porter cable...no thank you. I'd rather go bosch or makita.

I think the bigger point to be made is that the Porter Cable 12v MAX tools (which if you remember are "tradesman" level, and are meant to be "lower" than professional level tools like Milwaukee, DeWalt, Makita, Bosch) run side by side with the M12's any day, and at a way lower price point.  Even looking at the tool quality, cycle life, speed of application, etc. the Porter Cable is right there with the competitors.  DeWalt is the clear and distant leader in performance and durability in the 12v tools, and the lower cost Porter Cable's (again, intended to be lower than DeWalts competition) are on an equal level with everyone else.  Pretty impressive for Porter Cable to be able to do this without making the cost of the tool higher.

I think the bigger point to be made is that the Porter Cable 12v MAX tools (which if you remember are "tradesman" level, and are meant to be "lower" than professional level tools like Milwaukee, DeWalt, Makita, Bosch) run side by side with the M12's any day, and at a way lower price point.  Even looking at the tool quality, cycle life, speed of application, etc. the Porter Cable is right there with the competitors.  DeWalt is the clear and distant leader in performance and durability in the 12v tools, and the lower cost Porter Cable's (again, intended to be lower than DeWalts competition) are on an equal level with everyone else.  Pretty impressive for Porter Cable to be able to do this without making the cost of the tool higher.

I would grab a PC 12vmax tool any day over the Milwaukee M12 based on performance, features and battery reliability stand point, i just think the milwaukee is a cheap knock off of the bosch; not saying the PC battery design isn't.......

• 2 months later...

Archived