2nd year apprentice plumber needing a drill/driver combo, opinions?

YukonPlumber

Ok i'm a 2nd year plumbing apprentice and I am in need of my first power tool kit, a cordless drill and a impact driver.  I purchased a 275l dewalt kit but the batteries are shot so i'm returning that and going to do some research before i pick what set i'm going to end up building a kit around.  My journeyman has a Milwaukee v28 kit(much to heavy) and my other journeyman has the compact m18 set, they both got those on sale hence the bought them without much though.  I'm wondering what would be the best set to pick up.  So i know this is a dewalt forum but i'm looking to get opinions from ppl that used these both.  As a 2nd year I put allot of fasteners up(so the impact is the main tool I'm looking for) and drill some holes.  Anyways thanks for the any and all input.

Drew

I personally would go with the Dewalt DCK265L. They have the lithium ion 18V batteries. The impact is compact and the drill is tough.

I know this is a Dewalt forum but I have tested many drills and nothing compares to the quality, feel, power and ruggedness of the Dewalts. I like to feel a drill/driver in my hands before i purchase it, go to the local hardware store and feel out the different ones. then go research the ones you liked and make your discussion from there. Makita, Milwaukee, Bosch and of course Hilti are all good brands and all have different features to offer.

If its between the Milwaukee V28 and the M18 I would go with the M18 its way more compact and easier to work with. It really all depends on what type of work you are doing with the tool.

Yes I saw the 265 on some tool whole sale sites, but no one locally has it in stock.  I can get a 266l which is the same but has hammer drill capabilities which is a bit of a waist for me. I could buy online but my recent experience of getting junk batteries has me a bit timid not being able to return it without spending 40$ on shipping.

http://www.acmetools.com/tools/Acme+Tools/DEWALT+DCK265L+18V+Li-Ion+Compact+Drill+%26%2347%3B+Impact+Driver+Kit here it is free shipping. You can also call wholesale power tools 866-462-3581 and see if they have it. I didn't see it on their site, but they can get anything and will take care of you, if you have issues.

Our friends over at Pro Tool reviews did a review of the kit http://www.protoolreviews.com/reviews/power-tools/cordless/combo-kits/dewalt-dck265l

I purchased the 265l kit about a year ago.  I've been very impressed for what it's worth.  I agree that it is all personal preference though.  I know some plumbers and electricians prefer Milwaukee tools because they have some specialty tools in their cordless line, so you also might want to look into that and consider what tools you'll need down the road.  Also, the old V28 milwaukee line is pretty much gone.  Milwaukee is still making the batteries I believe, but the tools have all been phased out and the battery/chargers will be in the next few years (not that you were considering that line anyways).  Everything is going to the M18 line.

Archived