Tracksaw connecting tracks

Mr. Yellow

So I bought the DWS520 corded tracksaw little over a month ago. Due to problems with the delivery of the tracks I finally got the long track (260cm) in today. I really like the saw and the cuts it makes.

However, it can't cut from end-to-end of the track. I thought it would be possible to cut sheetgoods in one go. General length of plywood, MDF, .... is 250cm here (= the Netherlands) but with the 260cm track it's just a bit too short.

So to fix this problem I am thinking of connecting two 150cm tracks. This way there's 25cm left on each end, enough to make the cut at once.

Now the only thing I am wondering about is the alignment of the tracks when connected. It has to be perfectly in a straight line. Also because DeWALT clearly mentions in the manual that you should change the track adjusters when using a different track. This seems to conflict with the option of connecting 2 tracks.

There's no reason to buy and connect two 150cm tracks if it won't cut in a straight line.

Another option is to get a Festool track. They seem to have a 300cm track, but I rather stick to DeWALT.

• 5 weeks later...

I tried connecting 2 tracks but it just don't work. There's a tiny bit of play so they don't line up well. I have 3 tracks and none line up perfect. For me a no go. What length is a regular piece of plywood in the US? Over here it's 244cm. Take into consideration the length of the saw baseplate up untill it hits the blade. I have to make 2 cuts to get across the length. Really not what I want. Even if it's easy to do. Most other sheetgood here is 250cm in length. That's leaves 10cm, 5 front and back. Running the saw of the track is no option. I know DeWalt takes it to the field and test it thoroughly with end-users. Did noone complaint about this?

If one of you DeWalt employee's read this. Can you please pass this along to the product engineers.

This may not be what you are talking about, but the rubber edge of the tracks is meant to run "wild", so that when you make your first cut doing the set up process, the blade will trim the rubber to a perfect zero tolerance on both tracks.  Use one side of the tracks for 90 degrees, and the other for bevel cuts.  Hope this helps!

Thanks for the exlanation. I am aware of the set-up for the zero clearance edge.

The problem is when connecting the tracks the aluminum doesn't line up perfectly. So this misalignment will also be on the part on which the saw slides. So when passing the joint the saw will move from it's linear line by a fraction. What you end up with is not a straigt cut. Doesn't matter if the rubber is in one line, the saw needs to travel in a perfect line.

Maybe I am just too picky about it (I like my stuff to be perfect). So when having a 300cm track, the problem is solved. I noticed most manufacturers do have one, so heres hoping DeWalt will add one soon to it's catalogue. It's all that's missing. They have the saw, the accessories, the blades (well, when production issues are solved ;) Just need a longer track. Think I will get me a Festool one. Will swap it for a DeWalt when (if) they have one.

Gotcha!  Sorry for the mistake on my part.  I have actually never heard of the tracks themselves not lining up perfectly.  Mine is absolutely perfect, and I have never had any issues.  As far as the track goes, I am not sure what the corporate side of the company has planned for EU releases.  In the US the track lengths are set for common ply wood sizes, and are more than adequate.  You should definitely request through the EU DeWALT site that they release some different size tracks to fit the dimensions of the lumber you guys use over there.  As odd as it may sound, this may have just been an oversight of the design team due to national dimension variances (not saying that it is, or is not, just an idea).  At the end of the day, DeWALT makes what there is enough demand for, so if you want to see something released, start requesting it.

No prob. Yes, the catalogue does differ quite a lot between US and EU tools. What you are saying might be a reasonable explanation. I just looked and the lenghts of the US tracks are the same as what we have here.

I will definitely try to contact DeWalt EU and explain the problem. That if is, if the EU side of the company handle such things, or does everything goes through the headquarters in US? (not sure, just asking)

The company does split up operations between North America and the EU.  I am not sure quite how things operate at that level however.  The easiest way for you to get the review to the right people would be to go to www.delwalt.com, and then select the correct region that you live in, then go to the "contact us" link from that page.  That way your comments go to the right people.

That worked. I was a bit hesitant to contact DeWalt in my country, because I've tried before and never heard from them. Though that was just customer service (about something totally else)

Tried again and they forwarded my message to someone who deals with end users.

Turns out, the question for a 300cm track has been asked before several times. So I guess that's also in some of the surroundig countries. Anyway, the question/problem will be forwarded to the right people who deal with product engineering in Europe.

Even if this will not result in an additional track, I'm happy DeWalt listens to it's customers and try to help wherever possible.

Good!  I'm glad that you had a good response.  I know that on our side we have field marketing reps all over the country (I am one of them), and part of our job is to get that kind of feedback and forward it on to our product team.  I am glad to hear that things are working that way over there as well!

Archived