Dw402 (4.5" angle grinder) problem, impossible to remove disc! (pics)

o2G2o

Hi, I'm trying to change the fiber disc on a DeWalt DW402 but after pushing the locking button on top I'm not able to unscrew the wheel. If I turn counterclockwise the wheel turns, but it seems I have to go clockwise because that's the way it's "locked" (resistance). With both hands and a second person keeping the button in I still can't get it to budge at ALL. Anything I've found on the web describes using a wrench on the tube between the wheel and grinder, but mine has a perfectly round 3/4" metal sleeve there, so there's nothing for a wrench to grab onto. HELP!

I took pictures to show what I'm dealing with - thanks for any help!

Jeff

5823721652_38209aa3ba_b.jpg

5823721044_bc59519502_b.jpg

5823157267_35f406ddea_b.jpg

Based off of the model number, I'm guessing it is pretty old.  I would just take it to your closest service center and have it GRC'd.  They can definately get the disk off for you, but you might as well pay a little more money and get the whole thing serviced.  It'll probably cost you under $50, and you will get a practically brand new grinder.  Or you can go buy a D28402 (replaced the DW402) for around $90, get a brand new tool, with updated features.

Thanks guys, unfortunately I really need to get this off today as I'm in the middle of a rust repair on my girlfriend's car and she is not going to be happy if she has to drive to work with the car like this! :D

This grinder is old and yes that thing is rusted on there good. I don't think I would opt for servicing because of what this thing has been through (7+ years in a fiberglass parts production plant) but buying another one is something I may have to do...

EDIT: Also, I'm not sure if we have service centers nearby...I'm in Canada (near Montreal). I'm looking it up in the service center find on the DeWalt site.

Have you used any Liquid Wrench?

Believe it or not, I haven't tried that yet. I thought I must be doing something wrong so I didn't blame the rust until the earlier post. I was at Home Depot a few hours ago talking to the tool salesman and he recommended that I try that Liquid Wrench (or similar product) also so maybe I'll give that a shot.

I did some fiberglassing on the rusted out areas today but I'll no doubt need that grinder again. I thought I'd be almost finished the repair by tonight but not a chance! Got a late start and resin wasn't cooperating...big mess.

Archived