DCD780C2 versus DC720KA Performance

pokerb

Hi,

I'm a home handyman who needs a cordless drill/driver for easy tasks around the home  But I'd also like to be able to drill into brick or concrete and also drive screws into pressure treated lumber for some upcoming projects.

I'm inclined to buy the 720 but like the feel of the 780.  My question is (with the slightly less UWO of the 780, will it still be able to drive the screws as well as the 780?

Thanks for any insight...

--Bill

I agree with the above.  Get the 785C2.  It has the hammer function for light concrete/masonry drilling, and will still do the screw driving that you want.  If you start wanting to bore large holes in your material, or other heavy appications, that is the time when you need to look at the premium drill line.  The 720 and 780 are very similar from a power standpoint, you will just gain more warranty coverage on your batteries, more run time per charge, and better ergonomics by going with the 20v MAX.

Idomin07/kjones,

Thanks for the reply and advice.

Mostly this will be used for drilling wood/plastics and  driving screws into the upcoming framing jobs.

I agree that the 780 and 720 are close in torque, but with the 780 having a bit less than the 720, will this affect the capability for driving?

I am inclined to get the 780 because the Li ion battery will last longer with the irregular use that I'll have for it.  But I just don't want to be disappointed if the driver doesn't cut it like that of the 720.

So if anyone has tried both and can comment, it'll ease my mind.

Thanks again!

--Bill

Idomin07/kjones,

Thanks for the reply and advice.

Mostly this will be used for drilling wood/plastics and  driving screws into the upcoming framing jobs.

I agree that the 780 and 720 are close in torque, but with the 780 having a bit less than the 720, will this affect the capability for driving?

I am inclined to get the 780 because the Li ion battery will last longer with the irregular use that I'll have for it.  But I just don't want to be disappointed if the driver doesn't cut it like that of the 720.

So if anyone has tried both and can comment, it'll ease my mind.

Thanks again!

--Bill

I have both.  The 780 was optimized for it's intended usage.  What that means is that they increased the RPM so that it could do the applications it was designed for, faster.  You don't need a higher torque number in a compact drill, as it is used for smaller diameter bits and screw driving.  If you are doing large bore bits, or lag screws, etc. you will need to jump to a premium 20v MAX or an 18v XRP anyway.  All that to say that the 780 is more than capable of driving things like deck screws, etc.  It will do it faster than the 720 in fact.  Hope this helps!

kjones,

Well you've sold me...I like the 780 benefits more than the 720 and from what you're telling me, I can use it on those things I'll need it for the most.  Glad to find someone that has used both of these.

I'll pick mine up this weekend.

Thanks for the advice..!

--Bill

Archived