18V battery vrs 20V battery and tool

PolicyPeddler

I am going to purchase a new 3/8 battery impact wrench. I have a couple 18v batteries for y drill/driver.

A possibility is purchasing just the tool only 18V rather than a 20v kit.

I was in the process of ordering it when I happened to think, in a couple years am i going to need new 18V batteries and find out they no longer offer 18V batteries because they have switched to 20V batteries.

I had a similar experience before the dewalt 18V drill driver, the company no longer made the batteries even though the drill still worked so i had to replace it!

While on the subject what are the advantages of the 20V battery to the 18V battery?

thank you

Richard Rockefeller

Dewalt has committed to making new batteries for the 18v xrp platform, and I bet 3rd parties will step in and offer replacement packs when Dewalt pulls out permanently. The big thing is not all 18v packs are lithium ion while all the 20v packs are. The 20v packs also have higher amp hour ratings compared to the 18v line with the 2.0 and 4.0 ah packs that gives you longer run time between charges. The other thing is Dewalt is going to pick and choose which new tools support the 18v packs which hasn't been a lot over the years. I don't think you will see brushless tools on the 18v line. I guess the best way to put it is the 20v line is the future while the 18v is slowly being wound down.

DR99 is right. Even if Dewalt did stop selling 18v tools at some point (which isn't happening any time soon) they would still make the 18v batteries for years. They still sell the old 12v nicad batteries for example, no body has bought those tools in half a decade. 

That said. 20v does have higher amp hour options as DR99 said. They've also extended their warranty on 20v batteries. The 3.0 & 4.0 Ah Batteries have a 3 year warranty and 1.5 & 2.0 Ah batteries have a 2 year warranty. 18v compact batteries only have a 1 year warranty and 18v XRP batteries have a 2 year warranty.

20v batteries are more affordable than 18v lithium batteries too. The DC9180 XRP 18v Battery is a 2.4 Ah battery and it retails for $130. You can get the DCB204 20v 4.0Ah battery for around $119. So $10 less for the 20v and you get a larger "gas tank" (Ah rating) and you get a 3 year warranty compared to a 2 year warranty. 

• Like 1

Might want to sell your old drill kit and you could use that money to buy a bare 20v max drill of your choosing either compact or fullsized brushed or brushless depending on your budget. All you have to do then is buy the 20v impact wrench kit or you could do it the other way buy a drill kit and buy the impact wrench as a bare tool it might be cheaper buying the drill kit instead of an impact wrench kit they are on sale more often.

I am kind of in the same position as I am looking a getting a new impact driver. With the 3/8" impact wrench, if I had the money, would lean toward getting the 20v MAX XR kit as the bare 18v tool at $108 does not seem to be enough of a bargain. I will probably end up getting the bare tool for my impact driver though and see how much I can get out of my 18v tool line. I also keep hoping that by the time I am ready to invest in a new battery type that Dewalt will have some brushless models that are made in the USA.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I agree with whats everybody said above, 100%. Also. Dewalt aren't really dropping price on their 18v line tool. But the 20Vmax to everyday low price. Beside some stores are doing clearance on their store display or close out model. Sometime you find killer price on those deal... I bought a dewalt 1/4 hex impact driver (bare tool) store display model for $35 a year ago.

I really think in you case its still somewhat worth it to get the 18v, since you still have some good 18v batteries. but I will suggest try look for a used one(bare tool). Many people are upgrading to 20V and selling their 18v. But for myself I wouldn't invest more money into the 18V anymore. Beside it is a very good deal. (I used to own 13tools from the 18v line. I was down to 1 good 2 okay 18v battery, but the 2 were going bad) And just buying 2xrp batteries cost 119 bucks or 99 on sale. the cheapest 3rd party battery on ebay are about $60 for 2 18v 2200mah ni-cd pack. I ended up purchased the 2 batteries online.

I sold, trade and gave away 10 of my 13 18v tools in the passed 6months. Now down to the 2 batteries, a xpr jigsaw, a angle grinder and a shop vac. Just posted them up online for sale. I invested about a 1000 bucks so far into the 20v max (half of the money were from my 18v tools I sold.) for 8x 20max line ( I have 1 3speed impact driver, 1 regular impact, 1 2speed compact drill, 1 3speed hammer and the multi-tool all xr brushless)( 2 led work/spot light and a circular saw) and 12 batteries. I'm going to be all set for a bit:) they are awesome tool. I'm very happy with them.

• Like 1