Woodworking Therapy

EEtwidget

My wife has been wanting a vanity for awhile now. She puts her makeup on, seated Indian style, on the floor, in front of a mirrored door. We spotted an old vanity on craigslist for cheap and she fell in love with it. Went down today and picked it up. The vanity needs some work so I decided to refinish it. Starting with the seat, I took it apart and started to sand.

My father in law came over and decided to lend a hand. It's a special thing for him to help on this project because he just finished cancer treatment. Still in recovery, his doctors encourage him to be active. I set him up with a mask and old porta cable sander, (random orbit sander is on the Xmas list). He went to town and worked all day!

He told me stories of when he was a kid in wood shop. Said he was never any good but enjoyed it anyway. He really was able to forget about the cancer, remember some good times, and smile. He called me tonight and thanked me for letting him help out on the project, even asked if he could come over tomorrow and finish up.

Woodworking is a great thing, it's always been my therapy. A great way to find peace is behind a tablesaw, and now I get to introduce Bob to the hobby.

I'll post some project pics later but for now enjoy these...

Wife and one of our dogs Allison Gator reaction to the vanity

post-28428-0-76298700-1394948102_thumb.j

Bob sanding away!

post-28428-0-30684700-1394948175_thumb.j

My wife stripping the old fabric, found 4 old fabrics, one under another

post-28428-0-95881100-1394948220_thumb.j

This was at the bottom, and most likely is the original fabric(or close to it)

post-28428-0-01371000-1394948298_thumb.j

• Like 2

Awesome little project and a good looking girl as well. This is one of those projects that everyone will remember for a long time to come.

She'll remember you guys doing this long after her dad is gone. Every time she sits down she'll remember her dad and smile. Whatever you paid for the vanity will pale in comparison to those kind of memories.

Again, great little project. Keep us posted.

Looks great even without work done on it. Can't wait to see it done. That's awesome your father in law is enjoying working on it.

My favorite class in school was that one short year of wood shop in middle school. Loved building stuff with my hands and working with all the old hand tools. Up till today I still have a decorative name piece and a nice chess/checkerboard.

It's spring break this weekend so I should have more time to work. On the project. My wife is going on vaca with her mother so me and her dad will hit it hard and I'll try my best to get it done before she gets home.

You know I'm a tool nut when I'm spending my spring break woodworking instead of drinking. ;)