Benchmade blades

Punda1991

Hey Punda, when I was on swat several (10+) years ago, I carried a Benchmade Auto knife. It was Amerocan made, highly functional and super fast. The blade kept a wicked edge but was partially serrated it was also a very thick heavy blade. I don't really like partially serrated blades and sold it to a buddy of mine before I moved to my current position. Benchmade is a quality knife and if you are looking for a heavy duty tool it is a great knife. I recently bought an American made Case Trapper pocket knife and absolutely love it. It's got two wickedly sharp blades and has a bone handle. I haven't done a review on it yet but that's because I don't have enough usage on it as of yet.

I've got two older Ken Onion Gerber assisted opening knives, one small, one larger and never had a problem with them opening prematurely. Which I would like to Segway into another comment but won't ;). Having said that, BOTH of my Gerber's springs have broken. The knives work, the steel is still good but the assisted opening springs in both failed within a year on both of them. Most of the stuff I see is out of China from them now. I have a Gerber multi tool that is USA made and haven't had any problems but those are two completely different subjects.

I've got two older Ken Onion Gerber assisted opening knives, one small, one larger and never had a problem with them opening prematurely. Which I would like to Segway into another comment but won't ;). Having said that, BOTH of my Gerber's springs have broken. The knives work, the steel is still good but the assisted opening springs in both failed within a year on both of them. Most of the stuff I see is out of China from them now. I have a Gerber multi tool that is USA made and haven't had any problems but those are two completely different subjects.

I reviewed the Gerber MP1 for TIA and it seems like a pretty high quality multitool and also American made. I have used it often to do various things around the house or outside when I'm too lazy to grab something else. The only thing is I would like to see a more pocketable multitool. I'm not the kind of guy to walk around with a multitool case on his belt. I can't say anything about Gerber's other knifes though. They should at least replace of fix your broken knives Chris.

Just a job Punda and I actually don't own any guns. After a whole life of that kind of work I can retire when I'm 48 (less than five years!). Obviously have my work tools but I don't own any. Eric and Dan have done some stuff with their guns on TiA but mostly as it relates to lights and cases. Seriously too the Benchmade brand is awesome. I carried it for cutting through rope and seat belts and it served me well but now I carry a MUT from Leatherman or a Rebar (depending on what uniform I wear). At home I have a Leatherman Charge but I really don't carry it, just my Case knife!

Just a job Punda and I actually don't own any guns. After a whole life of that kind of work I can retire when I'm 48 (less than five years!). Obviously have my work tools but I don't own any. Eric and Dan have done some stuff with their guns on TiA but mostly as it relates to lights and cases. Seriously too the Benchmade brand is awesome. I carried it for cutting through rope and seat belts and it served me well but now I carry a MUT from Leatherman or a Rebar (depending on what uniform I wear). At home I have a Leatherman Charge but I really don't carry it, just my Case knife!

Awesome man, much respect for ur job... always wanted to get into it myself but wife wont let me...lol

Sig it is, and yes much respect Chris! I was an EMT at one point also working as a POC also but that came to a hault. Have you ever seen the knife from the movie the hunted? That's what I really want lol don't ask

Awesome, my wife is going for paramedic, she will be done with emt soon.

Much respect to ull too, alot goes into that too ...

• 2 weeks later...

As an interesting aside, you might want to check out Randal Knives. They have been around since before WWII, I believe, and have custom made knives for a really long time. They aren't cheap and the waiting list is hella long but they are definitely worth waiting for. I don't personally own one but have had coworkers who did and loved them.

Thinking about quality knives reminds me of another knife maker - Warthers.  It's in the small town of Dover in Northeastern Ohio. The knife works is a family operation located in a museum of all of the founder's train carvings.

Conductor, if you haven't been there, once you've eyeballed their website gallery (www.warthers.com), which in no way does the collection justice, You'll want to go see it all yourself - I guarantee it!