Pre-Fuel Impact Repair

Conductor562

As you know, I junked my pre-fuel impact a couple weeks ago when I dropped it off my dad's roof onto the concrete. With a shiny new Fuel to replace it, I planned on throwing the old one away. Then my OCD took over and having nothing to lose, I knew I had to attempt to fix it.

When I popped the back cover off I quickly noticed that one of the brush card springs was unseated leaving one of the brushes not in contact with the motor. I fixed that and thought "can it really be that easy?" The answer is no, it can't. On the bright side, I have plenty of brush life left.

post-515-0-01528700-1400276100_thumb.jpg

Looking over everything I couldn't find any loose of broken connections, or any other visible damage, which left me scratching my head. Needless to say I started complete disassembly.

post-515-0-64781700-1400276311_thumb.jpg

When I took the motor out I believe I discovered the problem. One of the service field magnets was broken and left several pieces scattered inside. I removed the service field and cleaned out all the pieces.

post-515-0-29388000-1400276623_thumb.jpg

I went searching online, and while I couldn't find just the magnet, I did find the whole service field assembly on eReplacement parts in stock for $16.99. I ordered it promptly. We'll see how it goes. I'll either have an old beater impact for shitty jobs, or be out $17.

I'll keep you posted.

• Like 2

I was really impressed with the selection eReplacement parts had available. They even carry the body and stickers.

They have a ton of other tools as well and claim to be Genuine Milwaukee parts.

http://www.ereplacementparts.com/milwaukee-parts-c-131.html?gclid=CPTuqIH_sb4CFRJnOgodwVgApw

I just look at the prices for most of the replacement parts for a M18 Fuel hammer drill. Except for a new case if it breaks that way it really does not make sense to repair anything else your not that far off from buying a new bare tool when you factor in your time shipping and the cost of the part. In conductors case it makes sense as the part isn't too expensive and he wants to take the time and fix it, so it adds up to be a good deal. Other repairs I'm not so sure.

A recon'd one is like $59 @ CPO. I wouldn't have pulled the trigger on anything over half that price.

For me it's really more the enjoyment of tinkering with it. I'll have $17 worth of fun, and it'll make for a mildly interesting thread.

• Like 3

Well, after a little trial and error, operation impact repair was a complete success.

The part arrived today and as advertised, it was an OEM part.

post-515-0-22776500-1400728316_thumb.jpg

The parts in play are relatively simple. The top end of the gun consist of 5 components. The brush card is the only wired component and it is not nessecery to remove it.

post-515-0-26572600-1400728538_thumb.jpg

post-515-0-68210300-1400728590_thumb.jpg

The service field magnets are very strong. It just slides over the motor, but as I'd find out later, it tends to try to pull itself back against the fan.

post-515-0-93690400-1400728756_thumb.jpg

Once I got everything in and pulled the trigger, it sounded like a North Korean Helicopter trying to take off. The magnet was so strong it was pulling itself out of position before I could get the other part of the handle on. After my second failure, I was ready to toss it, but I gave it another shot and finally managed to get it right the 3rd time.

post-515-0-99343900-1400729061_thumb.jpg

Needless to say, alignment is extremely important. Ultimately, I was successful and for under $20 the tool was saved. Some environmental asshole somewhere can rest easy tonight. I love the new Fuel model, but I'm happy I was able to fix the old one. Partly because I was able to pull off the repair, and partly because I won't have to crawl around in the dirt under the house and shit with my shiny new Fuel.

When I was done with that, I cleaned and serviced Mrs. Conductor's Kirby Sentria, and repaired a like new G6 I got for free because they lady that had it didn't want to pay to fix it. Fair enough, but Conductor is plenty capable of Kirby repair, especially something simple like a transmission belt coming loose. Now we have a Kirby for each floor. I couldn't believe they gave away a BARELY used $1200 sweeper over what took 30 minutes to repair :lol:

post-515-0-44778200-1400730072_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Wish I could find a deal like that even though I'm not a big Kirby vacuum fan they weigh too dang much :) It's nice you were able to fix your broken tool conductor I'm trying to figure out what to do with my Ryobi blower. I hate to toss something out for as simple as a broken plastic impeller, but they don't provide really and internal parts they just sell external accessories. I think I mentioned that before in another post. I like the idea of having a tool that you don't mind beating on. Don't treat it like crap either but I like to keep my tools looking nice and nearly new. Dang Chase Rogers totally missed Conductor joining the fuel family.

Kirby's are the best sweeper you can buy these days. They are a little heavy, but that's because they still build them with metal parts worth fixing instead of plastic junk.

I can take a Kirby apart, service it, and have it back up and running in an hour. Most vacs today aren't even worth fixing. You can also send it in for a compete refurb any time, as many times as you like, for like $175.

I like things that are worth my effort to fix.

• Like 2

A recon'd one is like $59 @ CPO. I wouldn't have pulled the trigger on anything over half that price.

For me it's really more the enjoyment of tinkering with it. I'll have $17 worth of fun, and it'll make for a mildly interesting thread.

You COULD have pulled the trigger but, it still wouldn't have worked! Lol