12v Dewalt drill driver

kirkschopped67

I have a 12v Dewalt drill driver (DC742).  It uses the Ni-Cad battiers.  What is the correct way to charge these battiers without destroying them.  Has Dewalt made a Lithium ion battery replacement for this unit.  The Ni-Cads I have seem to go dead very quickly, and if left for a week or so the power drains to nothing.  I can not say that I am charging or discharge them correctly, so it could be the way I am using the product.

Please help

With nicad batteries you should always discharge the pack all the way before you recharge them because unlike lithium batteries nicad has the battery memory effect. No Dewalt only made lithium packs for their 18v line they moved, for lithium batteries you have to move to the 12v max lineup of tools. If the packs are dead you could try to have them refurbished or buy generic replacements either way none make real economic sense. You can get a 20v Max Dewalt  drill for 99 dollars or you can get the Milwaukee M12 drill for 99 dollars either way you come out ahead with a tool that has a warranty, and lithium ion tech battery packs How long have you had the drill the batteries are probably around the end of their lifespan.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/DEWALT-20-Volt-Max-Lithium-Ion-Cordless-Drill-Driver-Kit-DCD771C2/204279858?cm_mmc=CJ-_-4485850-_-10368321&keyword=204279858#specifications&AID=10368321&PID=4485850&SID=f46ccd0b38324491a26ddd5939acf670&cj=true

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwaukee-M12-12-Volt-Lithium-Ion-3-8-in-Cordless-Drill-Driver-Kit-2407-22/204300706

Thank you Tool Junkie,  I was thinking the same way.  I have already purchased the 20V max cordless impact driver (DCF885), and 1/2 cordless drill driver.  I have purchased 4 of these units and they work outstanding.  It is a shame to have the other 12V units that are of no use.  Thank you very much for the info, it is spot on.

kirkschopped67

• Like 1

Yea that's the one thing that sucks about cordless tools when the batteries die its usually not economical to just replace them. Unless you find a good deal and it happens on the big tool buying holidays, but luck usually says they will go bad when the sales are not going on. even then buying a kit is usually the best option its even better if they have a free battery or tool promo going at the same time when you purchase the kit.

I know some people don't want to let go of their tools so you can always try eBay craigslist and pawn shops. I'm sure eBay would have a decent selection craigslist would be easy to check out but most likely find used stuff and I just visited a bunch of pawn stores today and all they have was outdated stuff. Its funny i found a dewalt 4 piece combo kit that was 14.4 volts and had a 12v battery attached. I thought what Good is that to the buyer if it's incompatible

• 3 weeks later...

I've heard the same thing Mike. I tried a local place in Maine and they never gave me my Panasonic battery back! I figured local.... Anyways, I've had luck on eBay too, cheap enough and some of these guys are even replacing the NiCad or NiMH with Lithium packs. Of course you need the correct charger.