Milwaukee 6950-80 Miter

ChrisK

I just hope that you're not-

Well, I think that you're headed for a whole lot of trouble. 
Yeah, I think that you're headed for a whole lot of trouble. 
Yeah, you know that you're headed for a lot of trouble. 
If you take your whiskey home.

Whiskey, miter saw, whatever...

It was a good 5 minutes before i even noticed there was a saw in that picture! haha

Back on the topic at hand.. ill offer my words of wisom

stay away from the Makita LS1016L   I used to own that saw and had nothing but problems, granted i bought it the day it was released so maybe they worked some of the kinks out but it was a nightmare.. the bevel detent at 0 degree was like rubber, it would constantly come out of square.. the 5 piece fence was junk and needed constant tweaking, the casting on the fence was so bad out of the box that in order to square the fence to the blade i had to enlarge the bolt holes in the fence. on top of all that there was noticable blade wobble.. 

I moved from this to the Kapex and have never looked back, before i bought it i really questioned the money also but it really is a dream to use, granted i use my tools to make a living so possibly its easier for me to justify the price when its helping me make money.

keep an eye on the reconditioned sale, since it went to 40% i have seen Kapexes twice going for $840!!

If you do go with the Kapex, I really think that you wont regret it, the included miter finder is a great tool, the hold down clamp is the only one i have ever used, it is light, the accuracy is dead on and stays that way, the bevel control is soo nice to use and the dust collection (while not 100%) is better than any other saw on the market. 

I have also heard great things about the bosch and dewalt saws.. I imagine they will serve you just fine.

Good luck!      buy the kapex buy the kapex buy the kapex buy the kapex buy the kapex buy the kapex buy the kapex buy the kapex

• Like 2

Thanks for that NE, I was REALLY looking at the Makita to be quite honest and the reviews are either fully for it or garbage. I've seen the Kapex on the recon list but missed it both times. And truthfully I can't see spending the cash but.... Plus my wife just bought me the Domino 500 so.... Probably going to go Dewalt, I'm really looking at the DW717 and the 780 and still the Milwaukee.

Possibly look into the making ls1018... $350 with amazon prime. it looks like they dumbed down the design of the 1016 which is a good thing. I have no experience with the 1018 though.. honestly I don't think you can go wrong with the Dewalt for the money.

Whichever way you go make sure you have a quality blade on the saw.. a full kerf blade will give you less deflection and more blade stability and a negative hook angle blade is better suited for miter saws as well

Hey NE, what about the LS121 or do you think the same problems? I like the idea of the four rails for space limitations.

Im assuming you just abbreviating but wanted to make sure you were asking about the Ls1216L... my gut would have to say it's a bunch of the same.. I think it was released after the 10" so maybe they worked some kinks out but I did a quick parts check and the actual base of the saw is the same part for the 10 and 12 inch which leads me to believe it only has a few tweaks to fit the 12" blade. It also still has the awful 5 piece fence.. the 4 rail was never the problem for me and while it does save some rear space it wasn't a ton..

I think the Dewalt 12" saws need a ton of rear room due to some of them having up to 16" cross cut capacity.. avoid that and make your large cross cuts with a track saw.

you may want to SERIOUSLY consider the Bosch axial glide for your situation, again no personal use but from what I understand it's a great saw.. and amazon is showing it to be only 50 more than the 12" making it only $650

Thanks NE, and that was exactly what I was trying to convey, the LS1216l. I called Bob today when the next recon list was posted but no Kapex' on the release. I'm thinking I'll go with a different brand. I was looking over the specs to the Jet 10" SCMS but it looks a lot like the Craftsman and am really Leary about dropping that kind of coin on a redone Craftsman. There aren't a whole lot of reviews on the Jet. I've also looked at the Ridgid 10" SCMS with dual,lasers and light but my last experience with my Ridgid left a bad taste. I owned a 7-1/4" SCMS single bevel craftsman and it was a nice little saw but I only paid $90 for that lil tyke, no rush but I will be doing a fairly big bedroom remodel upstairs for my wife and will need a saw for flooring but I've got a few weeks to agonize over this. I was thinking about the axial glide too. I think in end it will probably be the DW717 10" but I really like the tall fences on the Makita. Problem is just what you said in regards to the 1016l. I play around with a 1216 at Brocks here in Rochester and I really like the detents and the bevel on it. DC is a big issue and I scored a Midi on 40% recon JUST for my new saw and Dewalt planer (the other one is for my TS55REQ, Domino, Carvex and sanders. I really appreciate your input, Regopits too. This is a big decision for me. I want the Kapex but $1400 is $1400

Thanks Mike, this is a REALLY good deal on a Festool tool. If you have the chance to peruse the 40% lineup it is a great way to get into the tool line. I'd really start with a Midi or Mini dust collector and a TS saw or sander.

• Like 2