hex key L-wrench advise please

NERemodeling

Hey, I would like to upgrade the hex keys I carry in my work toolbag. I am seriously considering the Bondhus balldriver goldguard 15pc metric and 13pc imperial. I like the fact that they are made in the USA and seem to be very high quality.

I am thinking goldgaurd for the main reason that the guy who works for me is not the most observant and I really don't want him mixing my old husky balldriver hex keys with my new ones if they are all black (very likely that he or possibly a sub would mix them up, confuse them for their own or even loose them because they don't stand out) if they were gold there would be no confusion that they were mine and would be easier to find if they were misplaced.

Is there any downside to the goldgaurd finish?

Should I be exploring another brand? I was also considering wera as that's what I use for screwdrivers and really like them but they just don't seem to have the selection

I really don't use them a ton and not in extreme situations.. I'm a remodeling contractor not a mechanic..

Thanks

I'm not too sure about the set you are talking about. I pressume the coating would wear off over time. It would still distinguish itself as your set to prevent confusion on the jobsite.

I recently picked up the Tekton sae and metric set reviewed by Conductor. It's also made of chrome vanadium. Here's the link to the review. Cost is about $16 if remember correctly.

http://professional-power-tool-guide.com/2014/05/tekton-a-look-at-some-new-products/

• 2 months later...

I use both the Bondhus and the new Mayhew twisted hex keys. Both are really good,I prefer the mayhews for the smaller sizes like 3/32 and such. they just feel a bit better to me.

I use hex keys all day everyday at work,in a machine shop its probably one of the most used hand tools.

The goldguard finish on the sae set and the silverguard finish on the metric set work quite well I should mention. The tips dont really were out badly.

I use both the Bondhus and the new Mayhew twisted hex keys. Both are really good,I prefer the mayhews for the smaller sizes like 3/32 and such. they just feel a bit better to me.

I use hex keys all day everyday at work,in a machine shop its probably one of the most used hand tools.

The goldguard finish on the sae set and the silverguard finish on the metric set work quite well I should mention. The tips dont really were out badly.

I ended up with the bondhus goldguard sets   metric and imperial..   while i dont use them all that often, so far, with the few times i have used them i have been very impressed.   the machining and finish is great and they fit fasteners really well!

the mayhews look slick, i probably would have ruled them out due to them being only 9 pc each    i wanted as full of a set as i could get within my parameters. 

• Like 1

I have some Bondhus in the sizes I use for my survey gear, pretty good stuff. I think I may have some in my portable box... I can't remember and am too lazy to go look. They would be the old black ones, though.

I was going to say PB Swiss, but they might be a bit more than you probably want to spend...