Table and sliding miter saw

DPSElias

I recently purchased a fixer upper and starting to gather some work shop tools, I have plenty of cordless tools to get the job done, but not much what it comes to cutting, I have an old (~30 yrs) small craftsman table saw a 10in Ryobi chop saw, but looking to get something when working with larger wood (possible build my own cabinets someday) 

Sliding miter saws any suggestion, looking at reviews they are bipolar for every model, not looking to break the bank on these but want the best saw for the money. Currently Dewalt is running a special when you buy the DWS780 you get the free stand, it seems to be a hard deal to pass up but the reviews on the DWS780 swing a lot from good to this isn't a finish saw....immediate need is baseboard trim, then shortly after crown molding. I have been looking around at offerings from Bosch, Milwaukee, Hitachi, even Harbor Freight, I keep going back to the Dewalt for the Light guide, but actually like some of the features on the Hitachi.

Table saw again looking at Dewalts DWE7491RS, but on the fence about going to a more fixed unit (like the Ridgid R4512, but am worried about the space it might take up.) This is not an immediate need but will be needed in future.

Any suggestions? Other brands/models I should look at? Experiences?

I have the 780, and I love it. People who say its not a finish saw, assume u can use the same blade for everything. With any saw u buy, your going to find that it's all about the blade. My saw cut true out of the box. It's a beast to move and I may have dropped it 1 or 2, but it still performs flawlessly.

Here is a recent thread that blew up when Chris was looking for a new miter saw. Read through it, I think he went with the Dewalt.

http://professional-power-tool-guide.com/power-tool-forum/index.php?/topic/4878-milwaukee-6950-80-miter/

Sorry! He did unfortunately not ..but believe me I tried.. Chris is the world's largest Festool snob so he got the Kapex

But as I explained Chris, you can try the saw ,if you are not satisfied, you have the option to return it.

Take a look at the DW745 that is a great saw

http://www.dewalt.com/tools/machinery-portable-table-saws-dw745.aspx

But dwe7491rs has some cool details... I love it i must say!!!

Sorry! He did unfortunately not ..but believe me I tried.. Chris is the world's largest Festool snob so he got the Kapex

But as I explained Chris, you can try the saw ,if you are not satisfied, you have the option to return it.

Take a look at the DW745 that is a great saw

http://www.dewalt.com/tools/machinery-portable-table-saws-dw745.aspx

But dwe7491rs has some cool details... I love it i must say!!!

Awww Man!

FYI.. the DW745 was replaced by the DWE7480 in US. They still release the DW745 as a special buy occasionally. 

Lol I just read through 8 pages of a topic that derailed several times to find out he got the Festool.....I will say it's a nice saw but I am a DIY guy and I just don't see that in the cards right now.

I think it's hard to beat the DWS780 as I do not have a functioning work bench and the stand will be very handy. The reviews are all over the place.

Hallo !

This model:

http://makitatools.com/en-us/Modules/Tools/ToolDetails.aspx?Name=LS1018

It's been out here in europe for years and is probably the best selling Mitre saw here for DIY and  Price conscious Contractors.

We've sold many of these in the store here with only positive results :)  Defenitly a good choise !

Cheers

I have the Bosch GCM12SD. nothing to complain about, space saver and it performs how it should.

That's one I want to get... my dad has an old Craftsman table saw that's probably older than me that is mine when I get some room for it.

I'd like to chyme in here too. I bought the Festool Kapex. This after a LOT of research, I happened on a crazy deal on the Kapex but....

I had decided to go with one of four saws:

Dewalt DW780. - 12" Sliding Miter....LED lighting system, decent dust collection with a vacuum.

Dewalt DW717. - 10" Sliding Miter.... No Light but an option for little money...DC not so great

Makita LS1016l. - 10" Sliding Miter... Well regarded, okay DC with vacuum, laser, double slide mechanism reducing foot print.

Milwaukee 6955-80. - 12" Sliding Miter...ROCK solid, excellent DC, stable with great accuracy....expensive.

I did not consider (surprisingly) the Bosch Axial Glide. I've read a LOT of concerns with the table being off, I really wanted this saw too. Too bad.

As far as a table? A job site table is probably not in my future because I want to use stacked da does but the Dewalt saws are universally thought of as top do. I had a Ridgid 10" miter, the fences were off and the DC was terrible even with a vacuum attached.

Good luck!

• Like 1

Thanks Chad. This was a hard one. I really didn't think the Kapex was in the works for me and the Axial was my second run up but....enough drawbacks to put the Dewalt right up there. Truth be told I would have gone with the DW780 or Makita LS1016l. A local hardware store that stocks Makita AND Festool had the LS1216 (no laser) and the large capacity of the LS1016l really appealed to me but the DW780 is a GOOD saw. Enough positive reviews, it feels great in hand, the blade out of the box is good and the LED is a real head turner especially in my basement wood shop. My main gripes with the Bosch are no light, lots of reported table issues and poor DC. I've heard that the slide action is fantastic though...solid and dead on accurate especially if the table isn't deviated.

Ultimately though Madman, I love reviews. That's why I've been here for the last couple of years and talk to you guys and even write my own reviews for like minded guys and gals. Reviews for me are a really BIG deal. Especially when cutting checks. I'm glad your Bosch is good though, I was really disappointed when I cut it off the list.