Cordless tool storage

keslogan

That's cool, looks really nice. My method was to cannibalize old batteries and use them as mounts under the cabinet. Keeps the tools out of the way and easy to get to. Also saves space and kept me from having to screw around making something out of wood or other materials. A spot for the batteries was easy, took a hole saw and cut holes in wood, then mounted it to the shelf.

Your biggest mistake though is that there's only one Ryobi tool, better get over to Home Depot and remedy that!

The only problem I see with it (especially with this group of tool degenerates) is I would need to figure out some way to make it 'modular'.... 'cause we're always getting new toys... err, tools..

Really cool, otherwise!

Most people around here have seen these already, but here's a shot of my battery rack and how the tools are hung. Currently I think I have 9 or 10 tools hung under the cabinet. The only problem with my method is that you need old batteries to use as mounts, and unless you're batteries suck as much as the old Ryobi NiCads did you'll be waiting a while for batteries to use...

12311889056_0a91e1e7fd_b.jpg

Garage 024 by Ed Durbin (Katodog), on Flickr

12373685735_8782d86133_b.jpg

Garage 027 by Ed Durbin (Katodog), on Flickr

• Like 1

Most people around here have seen these already, but here's a shot of my battery rack and how the tools are hung. Currently I think I have 9 or 10 tools hung under the cabinet. The only problem with my method is that you need old batteries to use as mounts, and unless you're batteries suck as much as the old Ryobi NiCads did you'll be waiting a while for batteries to use...

12311889056_0a91e1e7fd_b.jpg

Garage 024 by Ed Durbin (Katodog), on Flickr

12373685735_8782d86133_b.jpg

Garage 027 by Ed Durbin (Katodog), on Flickr

if i had a 3d printer i could print out mounts that fit where the battery goes

• Like 1

Nice set up Kato how long did that take u to do?

All in all it probably took about an hour or so. I slowly made my way to the end result while spending some months rebuilding "my side" of the garage. A little here, a little there. Kept revamping things and swapping stuff...always trying to make things work better in there. The battery rack didn't take long, cut a piece of wood, bored holes in it, then mounted it. It used to be longer (originally had 10 holes) but I cut it down after killing some of the batteries. The tools hanging under the cabinet slowly went from four to 9, just kept adding one every time I decided it was time for the timely demise of another crappy NiCad. Stripping out the battery cells and mounting the shell to the cabinet takes a couple of minutes, but since I did all of this while working on other stuff the time stretched out pretty far.

Holy smokes Kato, that is really impressive! Are you a DiY hobbyist like me or,do you use those tools at work?

I used to use them at work, every day, never had a problem using Ryobi for heavy-duty stuff. Now with the new job I keep my own tools at home where they belong. I use them a lot at home though, probably in the garage screwing with stuff almost every day. I built a bunch of stuff around here while I was out of work, full-length kitchen drawers, pallet coffee table, stuff like that. But now that I'm working again the time for the home projects is cut down to weekends only. I love to tinker, repair stuff, build stuff, but the amount of time I was out of work gave me enough time to do everything that needed to be done around here. Now I basically sit around and stare and the ceiling, dreaming of new projects to do.

And since it's Christmas season, my DIY stuff has pretty much been fixing all of the crappy x-mas lights and stuff like that. Plus it's hard to work in the garage with x-mas boxes and shit all over the place.

The boss likes Dewalt so that's what we use at work, plus being an O'Reilly Auto distribution center we get the luxury of grabbing tools from the guys in returns...you'd piss yourself if you knew what they throw out over there. As an example, we've got a 1/2" deep-well socket set in a nice case, beautiful set, and the only thing "wrong" with it was that the customer ordered the wrong thing and sent it back.

Just an Fyi Kato HD has 2 packs of Ryobi 4.0ah lithium batteries for 89 dollars plus 20 dollars off if you buy any two Ryobi one+ tools or batteries. You just have to sign up for the Ryobi club on their webpage.

I keep me eye on those types of deals, gotta get it so it's timed right. It has to be at a time where I can basically beg the wife to buy me new stuff. Sadly, since the garage is filled with tools it gets harder and harder to convince her I "need" something. The battery deal is something they do quite often, usually it's $99 for two of the 4.0Ah batteries. I've seen it a lot this year, probably 4 or 5 times. So far the compacts I own have been splendid so there's no need to get new batteries.